Old September 4th 05, 09:14 AM
Kiddon

Default Jude Acers

See
http://www.newsday.com/news/opinion/...ints-headlines

kiddon

Old September 4th 05, 01:35 PM

Editorials

A prayer for old New Orleans: I remember her as grande dame and floozy;
but if she must die, let us celebrate her life

BY MATTHEW TEAGUE, a former reporter for the New Orleans
Times-Picayune, is a senior writer at Philadelphia Magazine.

September 4, 2005

Later, as an adult and resident, I learned of the deeper New Orleans,
darker in some places and glorious in others: the poverty of the Irish
Channel, the elegance of the Garden District, the fear and trembling of
the Desire Projects, the swank of Old Metairie. And surrounding it all,
like the light of a tremendous street lamp, glowed the warmth and
openness of the city's people.

The characters, my Lord. The cons. The saints. I've lost untold amounts
of money to Jude Acers, a man in a red beret who played $5 games of
chess on the street at the French Market. He was - and I pray now,
still is - an offbeat but world-class player who once enjoyed an
international ranking and played Bobby Fischer. He constitutes a
national treasure, in his way, and now nature has washed away his
venue, if not the man himself.

Old September 7th 05, 04:21 AM
Strega

"Jude Acers, a man in a red beret who played $5 games of chess on the
street at the French Market. He was - and I pray now, still is - an
offbeat but world-class player who once enjoyed an international
ranking and played Bobby Fischer. He constitutes a national treasure,
in his way, and now nature has washed away his venue, if not the man
himself."

What crock of ****.... "World Class" my ass..
Let's get to 2400 by beating 1900's!?

"National Treasure"..

I've cleaned his clock on more than one occasion... he a low life...
Sorry about New Orelans, but Mr. Acers, Pawn of Larry Evans.... is not
worth my concern...

Old September 7th 05, 05:08 AM
samsloan

Strega wrote:

Mr. Acers, Pawn of Larry Evans.... is not
worth my concern...

Jude Acers may be many things, but one thing he is NOT is the pawn of
Larry Evans, or anybody else.

Old September 7th 05, 12:42 PM
Catalan

"samsloan" wrote in message
ups.com...
Strega wrote:

Mr. Acers, Pawn of Larry Evans.... is not
worth my concern...

Jude Acers may be many things, but one thing he is NOT is the pawn of
Larry Evans, or anybody else.

Sam is right here. Larry and Jude co-write a monthly memories column in
Chess Life.

Old September 7th 05, 03:20 PM

If you haven't seen it, there is an update on Jude Acers at

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2617

"Jude Acers is unique in American chess, and chessplayers worldwide
have benefited from his selfless devotion and promotion of the game. I
ask chessplayers around the world for their help for this great
talent." -- Michael Ciamarra is vice president of the Alabama Policy
Institute, a chess coach, a long time associate of Jude Acers and
former resident of New Orleans, Louisiana.

Old September 7th 05, 10:25 PM
Catalan

wrote in message
oups.com...

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2617

"Jude Acers is unique in American chess, and chessplayers worldwide
have benefited from his selfless devotion and promotion of the game. I
ask chessplayers around the world for their help for this great
talent." -- Michael Ciamarra is vice president of the Alabama Policy
Institute, a chess coach, a long time associate of Jude Acers and
former resident of New Orleans, Louisiana.

Not to worry, all victims are getting a 2,000 debit card right off. I expect
Sam Sloan will apply for his and give us the low down.

Old September 8th 05, 01:30 AM

MEMORIES

Larry and Jude co-write a monthly memories column in Chess Life. Stan
Booz

One of the differences -- there are about 76,836
just to start with -- between GM Larry Evans and Stan
Booz is that people care about Evans' memories and
pay money to read about them.

Mr. Booz's memories? Well, there was this
toilet seat ... and so on and so forth.

To be sure, GM Evans and Jude Acers have
exchanged columnar pleasantries for a number of years,
though not all that often. Jude happens to be a
person always on the lookout for interesting positions
and unusual aspects of the game. This capacity was
never better demonstrated than in his discovery, in a
sense, of the Pafnuftieff-Linklater game from a modest
San Francisco team match nearly 60 years back. An utterly
fantastic game between a master of some note,
Pafnuftieff, and a lesser master.

A man like Jude Acers is a big part of what
chess is about. A man such as Mr. Booz?

As noted above, he has his memories, too.

Old September 8th 05, 01:32 AM
Catalan

wrote in message
ups.com...

A man like Jude Acers is a big part of what
chess is about. A man such as Mr. Booz?

Jude, a guy that rigged his rating; Stan, a guy that pays his dues.

Old September 8th 05, 01:51 AM

Acers is not without his faults. But as the ChessBase article reminds
us, he was an reasonably strong player in his prime-- strong enough to
draw the Browne of 1970 in a match, and creative enough to play a game
in round one of that match that had a major effect on Petroff theory
until the Timman-Yusupov match effectively put ...Nxa1 out of business.

And the fellow needs a home....

I played him twice in simuls in the early 70's: my hometown Shamokin,
PA (circa 1972?--he stayed at my friend Dan Polastre's home), then in
Lewisburg, PA (circa 1973)? I was strong enough by the second simul to
appreciate the difference between a GM and a very strong master, but I
can tell you that from the amateur's point of view, Acers put on a
better show than either Browne or Kavalek, who had also visited the
area. Good popularizers have their place, and shouldn't be scorned.