Old September 4th 05, 05:26 PM

Default Spiritualism

I think the basis of spiritualism began even with the earliest
humans. They had sufficient cognition to recognize physical death and
the implications thereof, i.e., the rotting away of the flesh and the
cessation of communication with the deceased. Finality of death was
psychologically unacceptable, thus humans invented one or another form
of life everlasting.

Old Haasie

Old September 4th 05, 06:52 PM
Catalan

wrote in message
ups.com...

I think the basis of spiritualism began even with the earliest
humans. They had sufficient cognition to recognize physical death and
the implications thereof, i.e., the rotting away of the flesh and the
cessation of communication with the deceased. Finality of death was
psychologically unacceptable, thus humans invented one or another form
of life everlasting.

They also were more attuned to nature and could sense the greater spirit.
They erred when they began speculating what it wanted from them. Armed with
the knowledge that there was a greater spirit the forerunners of today's
used car salesman generated a lot of systems of living to control the common
folk. With Valhalla promises they would motivate them to rob and plunder
their neighbors for the greater good of the community.

Most of these religions had a open mind towards sexual activity. Then came
the Catholics who were guided by men who vowed to abstain from heterosexual
activities and even declared sex to be the original sin. They even went so
far as to sanitize the bible. They claimed Eve was made from one of Adam's
rib bones contrary to the old scriptures that said she was made from the rib
of flesh removed during the first circumcision.

I have no doubt of the existence of the greater spirit. I have serious
doubts about any biblical renditions of what it said, did, or wants from us.
I have more respect for Mark Twain's opinion that the Knights of Olde were a
bunch of liars, braggarts, and bullies.

..

Old September 5th 05, 04:17 PM

Why do you think anyone cares about your random musings on
spirituality? Go to soc.religion or someplace...this group is about
CHESS POLITICS. How can you be a Mensa member if you can't even
understand this basic fact?

Old September 5th 05, 05:24 PM

Well, the 20+ folks seemed to have cared enough about the OT
"Creationists" thread I started to have posted about 160 messages.
But maybe you are right. Maybe we should stick to debating how many
paper clips Chess HQ should have on hand on any given day.

Old Haasie

Old September 6th 05, 02:21 PM
Kiddon

Better yet: whose fault is it that Chess HQ has too many paper clips
on hand on any given day?

kiddon

Old September 7th 05, 07:19 PM
David Filby

Kiddon" wrote in message
ups.com...
Better yet: whose fault is it that Chess HQ has too many paper clips
on hand on any given day?

kiddon

Hey, wasn't there an Arizona chess school that was into channeling? Now
THAT'S spiritualism, and it's actually related to chess.

-David

Old September 8th 05, 02:00 PM
Kiddon

David Filby wrote:
Kiddon" wrote in message
ups.com...
Better yet: whose fault is it that Chess HQ has too many paper clips
on hand on any given day?

kiddon

Hey, wasn't there an Arizona chess school that was into channeling? Now
THAT'S spiritualism, and it's actually related to chess.

-David

____________________________
Hmmmmmmmmmm. Channeling during chess games, or just during training?
What do the Official Chess Rules have to say about that? Enquiring
minds want to know.

kiddon

Old September 8th 05, 03:48 PM
Liam Too

Catalan wrote:
They claimed Eve was made from one of Adam's rib bones contrary
to the old scriptures that said she was made from the rib of
flesh removed during the first circumcision.

This is what they claim really:

Gen 2:21 And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he
slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead
thereof;

Gen 2:22 And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a
woman, and brought her unto the man.

Gen 2:23 And Adam said, This [is] now bone of my bones, and flesh of my
flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

Old September 8th 05, 10:41 PM
Catalan

"Liam Too" wrote in message
ups.com...
Catalan wrote:
They claimed Eve was made from one of Adam's rib bones contrary
to the old scriptures that said she was made from the rib of
flesh removed during the first circumcision.

This is what they claim really:

Gen 2:21 And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he
slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead
thereof;

Gen 2:22 And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a
woman, and brought her unto the man.

Gen 2:23 And Adam said, This [is] now bone of my bones, and flesh of my
flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

That's the King James revised version of the Bible not the original scrolls.

Old September 9th 05, 05:09 PM
Liam Too

Catalan wrote:
That's the King James revised version of the Bible not the original scrolls.

It would be interesting to know what the original scrolls say. I
believe that they are locked up in a safe with state of the art
security right now in Qumran.