Old September 9th 05, 06:13 AM

Default Labor Day State Opens

How'd it go with the various Labor Day state opens? Attendance up,
down, or about the same?

Old Haasie

Old September 9th 05, 02:01 PM

Please, no matter what, tell him it was up, as otherwise he will
regurgitate that same old Mensa garbage. And since this will be the
1,245,347th time he has regurgitated it, it is smelling none too good.

Although I hear he plans to put a website up about it by the 23rd
century.

Old September 10th 05, 12:25 AM

"Please, no matter what, tell him it was up, as otherwise he will
regurgitate that same old Mensa garbage. And since this will be the
1,245,347th time he has regurgitated it, it is smelling none too good.
Although I hear he plans to put a website up about it by the 23rd
century." (james rynd)
========
Some day I will look into how one puts together a website. 23rd
century seems like a good timeline.

Old Haasie

Old September 10th 05, 01:46 AM
Catalan

wrote in message
oups.com...

Some day I will look into how one puts together a website. 23rd
century seems like a good timeline.

We can attend classes together.

Old September 12th 05, 08:07 PM
George John

The 71st Southwest Open, played in Houston, TX, had attendance similar
to past years when it has been held in Houston at about 150.

The hurricane certainly had an impact, offset in part by a large number
of students from the University of Texas at Dallas, the latter
resulting in possibly the strongest field I have ever seen at the
Southwest Open, good enough to attract a player from Arizona.

One of Texas's greatest players, who had not played in a Texas event
since 1996, tied with another player for first place with a performance
rating of 2631. It was great seeing him back in action and playing so
well.

See http://www.uschess.org/msa/XtblMain.php?200509054541

Best regards,

George John

Old September 12th 05, 08:59 PM
Mike Nolan

Comparing turnout from one year to the next requires knowing something about
the years.

For example, Grant Perks told me that the numbers in Ohio were terrible,
perhaps worse than they appear on the chart below, because their event
moves around the state. When it is in Cleveland, like it was in 2004,
the typical turnout is down compared to when it is in other cities.

Grant also said his advance registrations were the most he's ever gotten
but the onsite registrations were way down. Is that due to the price
of gas?

Anyway, here's a table showing the largest events by state for the last
4 labor day weekends.

Not all of the 2005 Labor Day weekend events have been rated yet,
so the largest tournament in some states, such as Oklahoma, may not be
in yet.

I assume that most of the 2005 events show below were submitted online,
since those are on average rated about 2 days after they end while ones
sent to the USCF by mail are on average rated about 11 days after they end.
(Virtually all of that delay is now before the event arrives at the USCF
office, most events are rated 2-3 days after they arrive in Crossville,
many of them the same day they come in.)

THe 2004 Florida event was postponed due to a hurricane, but the 2005 event
didn't do as well as the one in 2003 did.

There may be factors I'm not taking into account that explain the big
swings in the Texas numbers.

state | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005
-------+------+------+------+------
AK | 20 | 13 | 19 | 15
AL | 58 | 41 | 37 |
AR | 8 | | |
AZ | 100 | 70 | 8 |
CA | 198 | 192 | 164 | 189
CO | 106 | 107 | 122 |
CT | | 127 | 125 |
FL | 127 | 158 | | 133
GA | 16 | 13 | 13 | 10
HI | 38 | 17 | 34 | 42
IL | 210 | 202 | 200 | 140
IN | 6 | | 5 |
KY | | | 4 |
LA | 110 | 81 | 102 |
MA | 148 | | | 163
MD | 10 | 14 | 10 |
MI | 139 | 154 | 161 | 197
MN | 25 | 10 | 20 | 20
MO | 58 | | 14 | 16
NC | 37 | | | 30
NE | | | | 14
NJ | 132 | 163 | 171 |
NM | | 20 | |
NV | | | | 19
NY | 31 | 204 | 144 | 149
OH | 158 | 119 | 119 | 102
OK | 80 | 93 | 81 | 37
OR | 84 | 103 | 93 |
PA | 55 | 33 | 30 |
TN | 119 | 106 | 119 | 90
TX | 155 | 163 | 320 | 261
UT | | 10 | 18 |
VA | 94 | 99 | 91 | 78
WI | 74 | 43 | |
WV | 21 | | 17 |
--
Mike Nolan
Old September 12th 05, 09:11 PM
George John

BTW, something that might be of interest to some, the open section was
played with a 30 second increment. For a fair number of players this
was their first time to play with an increment, and it was the first
event I have directed which used an increment. It was advertised in
all pre-event publicity.

Overall, the reaction of the players was positive. I had only one
player who said he didn't like it, but it allowed him to hold a game in
the final round that he probably would not have been able to with a 5
second delay, so even he eventually saw the value. As players gained
more experience with the increment, they increasingly liked it.

IMO, the major value of the increment is it allows the entire game to
be recorded. I think this alone makes it worthwhile. Furthermore, it
eliminates time scrambles so the outcome of games rely less on blunders
to determine their outcomes, and the overall quality of the games
improve. In this event no game ran long. In fact, the overall
tendency was for the open section to finish before the reserve. The
open was using G/90 inc/30 and G/120 inc/30; the reserve, 30/90 SD/1.

Since the open *required* the increment, the organizer had a large
number of loaner clocks available. I needed to be able to program the
increment mode on the Chronos, DGT's, and Excalibur II, which wasn't a
problem at all.

Overall, my experience was very positive. I will look forward to
directing more events with an increment.

Best regards,

George John

Old September 12th 05, 10:16 PM
George John

Mike,

The reason for the "swings" in Texas is largely because of changes in
participation of the one day scholastic-only event, which is a side
event. The SW Open was rated online. IIRC, the final game finished
around 8:00 or so. The event was rated around 9:30.

The Texas Southwest Open (this year was the 71st) has had the following
attendence in recent years:

2005 - 156 (55 + 10) Houston
2004 - 172 (35 + 137) Dallas
2003 - 161 (54 + 107) Dallas
2002 - 155 (62 + 93) San Antonio
2001 - 143 (61 + 82) San Antonio
2000 - 172 (62 + 110) San Antonio
1999 - 144 (39 + 45 + 59) Houston
1998 - 162 (46 + 116) Austin
1997 - 169 (54 + 115) San Antonio
1996 - 159 (41 + 53 + 67) Austin
1995 - 161 (70 + 91) San Antonio

Texas is a *big* state, so the price of gas is certainly a factor. It
was something that was discussed, but I haven't heard yet if anyone
decided not to come because of that. It's certainly possible.

Best regards,

George John

Old September 13th 05, 04:11 AM
[email protected]

Grant also said his advance registrations were the most he's ever
gotten but the onsite registrations were way down. Is that due to the
price of gas?

IL had a similar experience--we were expecting 200+ based on the
exceptionally strong prereg. But virtually no one showed up at the
door. Gas was definitely a factor.

I think there was also a Katrina hangover effect--you see what other
folks have suffered, and you appreciate your own family that much more.
And you say, "Do I really want to spend *this* Labor Day weekend away
from them?"