Old September 13th 05, 04:53 AM
Skeptic

Default Why People Disagree about Book?

It seems to me that some chess players look at chess books mostly in terms
of what the book is about: what opening does it discuss? Which player's
games? What type of ending? How much does it improve your rating (or promise
to)? And so on. Other players, on the other hand, look at chess books mostly
in terms of HOW they are done: did the author do original research? Are
there few typos? Is the author giving us material unavailable elsewhere?

The first group is more tolerant of books that the second group finds
abyssimal, i.e., most of Raymond Keene's or Fred Reinfeld's books. On the
other hand, the first group is unimpressed, or sees as pointless, books the
second group considers wonderful, such as Richard Foster's "Amos Burn: A
Chess Biography".

As a member of the second group, I find Keene & co. unbearable, and consider
Foster's book on Burn quite possibly the best chess biography ever written.
Then again, I can see why a member of the first group won't mind Keene's
lack of originality or writing style, or see little point of spending $75 on
a book of the complete games of a "Second-tier" master (i.e., not world
champion or challanger.)

I think it is this difference in attitude, not so much in disagreement about
facts, which is the cause of many heated arguments in this newsgroups. It's
more about whether certain facts matter than what the facts are. Perhaps we
should keep this in mind, under the old "there's no accounting for taste"
rule.

Old September 13th 05, 05:48 AM

Eero Einar Book, who was born in 1910 in Finland, was a strong chess
player rated 2500 by Elo, but he never got the grandmaster title.

It is easy to see why some people would disagreee about this.

Sam Sloan
http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessplayer?pid=47826
Old September 13th 05, 03:01 PM
Taylor Kingston

Skeptic wrote:
I think it is this difference in attitude, not so much in disagreement about
facts, which is the cause of many heated arguments in this newsgroups. It's
more about whether certain facts matter than what the facts are.

I'm not so sure about that. In the recent disputes over Eric
Schiller's work, for example, some of his supporters have shown a
willful refusal to recognize documented facts, and have even gone so
far as to fabricate falsehoods. In such cases the ostensible issue will
not even matter -- if Mr. A and Mr. B are generally on opposite sides
of the rgcp barricades, B might automatically disagree with A, no
matter what the facts.

Perhaps we
should keep this in mind, under the old "there's no accounting for taste"
rule.

I certainly would have no quarrel with someone who says, for example,
"I don't like Forster's book about Amos Burn because English chess
history doesn't interest me." That is purely a matter of personal
taste. However, if someone says "Forster's book is poorly researched
compared to the scholarly work of Eric Schiller," that is factually,
and laughably, false.