Old September 21st 05, 04:42 AM

Default Taylor Kingston letter attacking Eric Schiller

Old September 21st 05, 05:59 AM
[email protected]

AN OPEN MIND?

So I am trying to keep an open mind, but so far this doesn't add up.
Taylor Kingston

NM Kingston claims that Eric Schiller's expanations for a silly error
don't add up. Of course not. By definition, they cannot.

In the case of Eric Schiller's apparent misattribution of
authorship of a book that did not exist, his explanations are simple
enough. I was under the same misimpression when writing an
award-winning article on Alekhine, that the latter had written a major
work on Kecskemet 1927 instead of merely annotating several games. In
some fashion I had confounded this non-existent "major work" with other
Alekhine works. Luckily, I caught my glitch before going to press;
Eric Schiller did not.

If Alekhine were NM Kingston's target instead of Schiller, he
would be asking how the ex-world champion in his work on Nottingham
1936 offered in the same book contradictory evaluations of the very
same, early opening position, that the great man knew like the back of
his own hand. Our 2300+ ELO Eiffel Tower would then argue that
Alekhine's explanations do not add up. Which, of course, they would
and could not.

Old September 22nd 05, 04:07 PM

This is old stuff, and I have explained for over a decade that this
was a response to an informal letter from Myers, I was in Hawaii with
no chess library, just Khmer language stuff as I was studying on a
fellowship as part of my Doctoral studies at the University of
Chicago. I answered off the top of my head, and simply got it wrong. I
recalled the cover with the big bold Nc6! On it and assumed for some
reason that it was a book on `1.e4 Nc6. Somehow the exchange found its
way into the book, entirely my fault, not Joel's.

I frequently corrected the information in forums and when asked, and
never "lied" about it as you accuse. I corrected the information in a
letter to Myers after I returned home and was confronted with the
error. I have no doubt that you will continue to make your
misrepresentation in the future and await an apology for your
unfounded accusation. An error is not a lie. I have made mistakes and
do not cover them up. I am grateful to those who point out errors in a
polite way, but not those who engage in campaigns and personal
attacks, especially from people who have never made any significant
contribution to chess on or off the board.

You may show this reply to anyone you wish.

Eric Schiller
www.ericschiller.com
http://stores.ebay.com/Chessworks-Unlimited

Old September 22nd 05, 04:18 PM

The asshole attacks me and Keene all the time too.
Your point is correct. And any editor would have axed "furthermore"
You need to place him in your Hall of Shame.