Old September 21st 05, 11:38 AM

Default The Kingston Sweeps

WHEN WILL HE BE BACK?

NM Taylor Kingston, the 1800-rated but self-proclaimed 2300+ ELO
cobalt bomb, has announced his departure from rgcp for an indefinite
period. He found my e.o. (electronic odor) more overpowering than Sam's
b.o. (body odor).

We all know the lad will be back soon enough under one screen
name or another. His ploy is to sit out my plowing through several
entries in the Oxford Companion to Chess and then return with a
generalized statement in support of Hooper and Whyld by Bernard
Cafferty or someone else to denounce my examination of specific entries
in the first edition as "speculation." His ego permits no other
recourse.

There are other questions he wants to duck such as one pending from
Nick Bourbaki about his notion of express consent, or his avowal that
there is no bias whatsoever at the Censored.Cafe.

Now, then, what about a KINGSTON SWEEPS? We all pick a date by
when NM Kingston returns to rgcp. He left on Tuesday, September 20 --
on the Stateside side of the international dateline.

Who cares to participate in the Kingston Sweeps? The grand prize
winner receives free tickets for the Sloan-Kingston Grudge Match, when
and if it finally takes place.

When do YOU think NM Kingston will return to our little Eden, a
refreshed, recuperated, rejuvenated, redinged, redinked, redonged, and
recharged 2300+ ELO Duracell human battery?

Several people told me he won't be able to stay away beyond
the end of this month. Come on -- take your best guess.

Old September 21st 05, 04:08 PM
cynic

Forsooth, methihnks the unchivalrous one doth return on the Ides of
October.

Send my free tickets for the Kingston vs. Sloan grudge match

c/o Edward Winter, Geneva, Switzerland.

Old October 10th 05, 01:02 PM
[email protected]

AN ADDICT RETURNS

Now, then, what about a KINGSTON SWEEPS? We all pick a date by when NM
Kingston returns to rgcp. He left on Tuesday, September 20 -- on the
Stateside side of the international dateline...When do YOU think NM
Kingston will return to our little Eden, a refreshed, recuperated,
rejuvenated, redinged, redinked, redonged, and recharged 2300+ ELO
Duracell human battery? Several people told me he won't be able to stay
away beyond the end of this month. Come on -- take your best guess.
Larry Parr (September 21, 2005).

NM Kingston is with us again. We welcome him
back to our friendly grouping.

We understand that he will not soon be
explaining to us why the Oxford Companion totally
blacked out Boris Gulko's status as a refusenik
without mention of his being banned from competitions
(the version of Dr. Hyde).

We understand that NM Kingston will not explain
why the Companion obfuscated the identity of Petrov's
murderers. We understand NM that Kingston will not
explain why no mention of the boycott against Victor
Korchnoi is given in the Companion except to note that
he was without benefit of competition against former colleagues.
We understand that NM Kingston will not explain suppression
of the fact that both Lev Alburt and Korchnoi were defectors.

There is more once we can re-engage NM Kingston, who has
returned, though he very recently and repeatedly lauded the joys
of not keeping company with all those liars on rgcp.

The would-be self-proclaimed NM did not even
last a month off rgcp!

NM Kingston is with us again. We welcome him
back to our friendly grouping.

We understand that NM Kingston will not soon be
explaining to us why the Oxford Companion totally
blacked out Boris Gulko's status as a refusenik
without mention of his being banned from competitions
(the version of Dr. Hyde). We understand NM Kingston
will not explain why the Companion obfuscated the
identity of Petrov's murderers. We understand NM
Kingston will not explain why no mention of the
boycott against Victor Korchnoi is given in the
Companion except to note that he was without benefit
of competition against former colleagues. We
understand that NM Kingston will not explain
suppression of the fact that both Lev Alburt and
Korchnoi were defectors. There is more once we can
re-engage NM Kingston, who has returned, though he
very recently lauded the joys of not keeping company
on rgcp.

The would-be self-proclaimed NM did not even
last one month off rgcp, as several posters predicted.

NM Taylor Kingston, the 1800-rated but
self-proclaimed 2300+ ELO Corinthian column,
states that Edward Winter will thank one for noting
error. I received no such thanks when pointing out
his utterly unhistorical treatment of the career of
Richard Teichman in Chess Explorations. Nor did I
receive thanks when pointing out errors in his
vicious attack on GM Evans for making errors. I
noted a higher per word incidence of errors in
Winter's attack than the incidence that Winter adduced
in his screed!

Still no thanks.

IM Anthony Saidy, a friend of GM Evans and Mr. Winter sent a
correction of Winter's Spanish. No thank you there, either! Quite
the opposite. Instead there was spluttering and indignation.

In this life a lot depends on who points out these errors because
Edward Winter has an extensive enemies list.

If an NM Kingston, crawling on his rhetorical
belly, gingerly notes a mistake here or there, Mr.
Winter might issue a thank you note. Otherwise ...
... watch out! It's gonna be a bumpy ride.

The reason? His ego is such that he
would have difficult in explaining a lie to himself as
he assumes the proud man's contumely when refusing to
play a match with Sam Sloan. So he won't answer

The utter dishonesty of NM Kingston's
avoid-ploys is something to behold.

But the NM is back on rgcp after only a couple
of weeks away. We are certain of this much: his joy
at leaving us proved less happy than his joy in being with us.

*Edward Winter has an excellent library and an inkwell filled with
bile. It's not sufficient for him to point out trivial errors in the
work of his betters, he then engages in character assassination in
order to make his enemies look bad. In A CHESS OMNIBUS, for example, he

says that Kenneth Whyld, co-author of THE OXFORD COMPANION TO CHESS,
has a "propensity for distortion and untruth" (page 308).* Parrthenon

Taylor Kingston snipped this in his reply. Does he have any comment
on Edward Winter's defamation of Ken Whyld whom Kingston praised so
highly when discussing the Oxford Companion? -- Cjnic

Alkthough NM Kingstron went ballistic when I pointed out several
suppressions of fact about matters Sovietica in the Oxford Companion by
Hooper and Wyld he has not said peep about his hero Edward Winter's
defamation of Ken whyld! He simply snipped Cynic's question.

Schroeder makes Parr & Sloan look like Martin & Lewis, and he is about
as well qualified to review books as Martin Bormann was to discuss
Maimonides. Just amazing. -- Taylor Kingston

James Schroeder is a chess enthusiast. He once gave
Arnold Denker and me an absolutely rave review for the
memoir, The Bobby Fischer I Knew, and Other Stories.
On another occasion, he went berserkly vicious over
two volumes that Alburt and I did.

So what?

Jim Schroeder is a writer who puts his life
into every page. He review books provocatively
and interestingly and has raked NM Kingston
over the coals on more than one occasion.

GM Larry Evans once told me that he received a note from
NM Kingston asking him no longer to use items that are
submitted to his popular Chess Life column Evans On Chess.

And so it goes.

Old October 10th 05, 04:50 PM
Chess One

wrote in message
ups.com...
AN ADDICT RETURNS

NM Kingston is with us again. We welcome him
back to our friendly grouping.

Welcome back! But I am leaving these particular threads Larry unless
something else happens to make them worth reading - somehow the subject of
the making of a good chess book, whether its be instructive or a chess
history, cannot be reduced to typos - and I admit I am more interested in
the subject matter of the book itself.

Especially evident is a lack of concern for such elements as you pose below,
which is a subject I also raised in another context, and which received no
substantive response. These are not commercial concerns, but humanitarian
ones.

Not mentioning government sanctions against certain players enacted from a
racial basis, and even suggesting book-banning in the US for a meandering
series of reasons which tend to evaporate on being brought up for air, is
apparently of less concern than typos!

In another time such whitewashing of certain authors while villifying others
would be a sign of ordinary propaganda, probably based on political points
of view, but I do not sense that exists here - what we have is a
mind-bendingly teensy-weensy pettyness, that is still prepared to play
rough - even if it must resort to comparitive quantifying of typographical
errors.

I am left with the impression that an immaculate lie would be preferable to
an ill lettered truth.

Cordially, Phil Innes