Old September 30th 05, 06:11 AM

Default Whatever happened to...?

FIVE DEARLY DEPARTED FRIENDS

1. Bill Brock: Today, Bill works in both the
accounting and personnel departments of the Wall
Street securities firm, Sloan &Son. At Sloan, Bill
runs anger management seminars as well as counting the
beans before they hatch. Bill's outside interests
include chess ikebana and international community work
with young children. His most recent trip was to
Chiang Mai, Thailand.

2. Stan Booz: For Stan, it has been a case of new
faces, new places, new challenges. Today, Stan is a
first year Latin student at St. Anselm's Academy in
the Forest Primeval. He's looking forward to his
first big challenge as a poster at rgcp, which will be
to use the phrase "ad hominem" correctly. There is
still some of the old puckish Stan at Ansie's in the
Forest Primeval. He often amuses fellow students with
inventive queries -- or at least the same query --
about what bears do in woods.

3. Dr. Stephen Dowd: Steve left rgcp on sabbatical.
He returned a new man. Jim Rynd can't say enough good
things about Steve, and the feeling is mutual. They
are currently running a group therapy session in
which, first, Steve and then Jim oversees their group,
which they call "Company." As Jim puts it, "Two's
company, three's a crowd." Which isn't to say there
might not be a Tom, Dick or Harry telling Steve and
Jim to move over. But Jim doesn't see overcrowding in
there as a problem. "There's plenty of space where I
come from," he says.

4. NM Taylor Kingston: After achieving a lifelong
ambition to proclaim himself a chess master, Taylor is
looking to move up the international chess ladder.
"There are still the IM and the GM titles to
proclaim," states would-be match opponent Sam Sloan.
Close observers of Taylor's career see a world title
match in the future for the former rgcp contributor.
They say that nothing can prevent this self-made man,
who credits Eric Schiller's books for his current
chess strength, from appropriating the title of
Weltmeister.

5. Neil Brennen: Neil recently moved to Vermont. He
credits Bill Brock for inspiring a "rgcp mid-career
move." There is tenure-track for historians at the
Vermont Chess Federation, and Neil is looking forward
to meeting VCF faculty and students in Brattleboro.
The Bard writes, "The hind that would be mated by the
lion/ Must die for love." Which is another way of
saying, he who is bearded in the den during the
sugaring gets ... and we must defer to Bill Brock's
expertise at this point.

Old September 30th 05, 05:48 PM
Taylor Kingston

David Ames wrote:
A good Latin student, competent in the third declension, is needed to
tell why the University of Vermont is referred to as UVM.

Or someone who lives nearby and whose daughter is a UVM graduate.
Universitatis Viridis Montis -- University of the Green Mountains. So
named centuries before the postal service decided the state should be
abbreviated VT.

Old October 3rd 05, 05:28 PM
David Ames

Taylor Kingston wrote:
David Ames wrote:
A good Latin student, competent in the third declension, is needed to
tell why the University of Vermont is referred to as UVM.

Or someone who lives nearby and whose daughter is a UVM graduate.
Universitatis Viridis Montis -- University of the Green Mountains. So
named centuries before the postal service decided the state should be
abbreviated VT.

Surely I believe it was genitive plural -- Universitas Viridium
Montanum. University of the Green Mountains. Anyway, the trap is for
those who think it is "University of Vermont at Montpelier." It's at
Burlington, not Montpelier. People who take things for ghranted will
find, surprisingly, that www.vt.edu is Virginia Tech.

David Ames

Old October 3rd 05, 05:41 PM
Taylor Kingston

David Ames wrote:
Surely I believe it was genitive plural -- Universitas Viridium
Montanum. University of the Green Mountains.

It's definitely Universitatis Viridis Montis. Perhaps I translated it
incorrectly; I'm no Latin scholar. People here just call it UVM or
University of Vermont.

Anyway, the trap is for
those who think it is "University of Vermont at Montpelier." It's at
Burlington, not Montpelier.

I know -- it's about 7 miles from my house. I don't think UVM has any
other campus besides Burlington.

People who take things for granted will
find, surprisingly, that www.vt.edu is Virginia Tech.

Sounds Hokie. We're the Catamounts. ;-)

Old October 3rd 05, 06:37 PM
Harold Buck

In article .com,
"David Ames" wrote:

Taylor Kingston wrote:
David Ames wrote:
A good Latin student, competent in the third declension, is needed to
tell why the University of Vermont is referred to as UVM.

Or someone who lives nearby and whose daughter is a UVM graduate.
Universitatis Viridis Montis -- University of the Green Mountains. So
named centuries before the postal service decided the state should be
abbreviated VT.

Surely I believe it was genitive plural -- Universitas Viridium
Montanum. University of the Green Mountains. Anyway, the trap is for
those who think it is "University of Vermont at Montpelier." It's at
Burlington, not Montpelier. People who take things for ghranted will
find, surprisingly, that www.vt.edu is Virginia Tech.

I don't know much about New England geography, but I did once have a
girlfriend who lived in Maine. I went up to Bangor every weekend.

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night,
and party every day.
Then it was every other day. . . ."
-Homer J. Simpson
Old October 3rd 05, 08:13 PM
ChessBorscht

"Harold Buck" wrote in message

I don't know much about New England geography, but I did once have a
girlfriend who lived in Maine. I went up to Bangor every weekend.

Is that near Nantucket? There was a man from Nantucket that had a

Old October 3rd 05, 08:24 PM
samsloan

ChessBorscht wrote:

There was a man from Nantucket that had a

D T was so L H C S I

Come now. Give us the rest of it.

Old October 4th 05, 02:27 AM
[email protected]

GETTING BACK TO GOMORRAH

NM Taylor Kingston has almost completed the
process of slouching back to the Rgcp Gomorrah. Bill
Brock will be returning soon enough from USCF Nolanland.

The subject is the Oxford Companion to Chess.
The irony is that Taylor Kingston's crude mistake
about Viktor Korchnoi is not totally unwarranted if
one reads the extraordinary rendition of K's career in
the Oxford Companion.

Just as Boris Gulko's status as a refusenik and
his difficulties are either alluded to delphically (this
writer's position) or ignored totally (Dr. Hyde's view)
so Viktor Korchnoi is not given as a defector in the
Companion. There is delphic mention of Korchnoi
losing practice against other Soviets (there was a boycott,
broken bravely by Artur Yusupov at Lone Pine) and no
mention of his son being arrested and beaten in a labor
camp on the eve of the second Karpov match. There is
only mention of Korchnoi going to another country and experiencing
sorrow because his family was not permitted to emigrate
(you know, a customs difficulty or immigration oversight, that kind of
thing).

Lev Alburt's status as a defector goes totally
unmentioned, and he appears also as a guy who merely
took up residence in another country.

As I say, the official Kingstonian line will
be that he never really has left rgcp; he merely
left this writer. He cannot abide e-intercourse with
this writer just as he cannot abide Caissic
intercourse with Sam in the flesh over the chessboard.
That, we are told, is the real reason why NM
Kingston, the 1800-rated but self-proclaimed 2300+
ELO Caissic concatenation of curious circumstances,
will not play a match with old, weak, bony 1900-rated
Sam Sloan.

NM Kingston's official line is that he is not a
phonus balonus but merely a discriminating intellect
who finds the efforts of Stan "ad hominid" Booz to be
up to the mark, whereas this writer simply can't quite
make his grade.

By tomorrah, the getting to Gomorrah, should be complete.

Old October 4th 05, 05:28 PM
David Ames

"Harold Buck" wrote in message

I don't know much about New England geography, but I did once have a
girlfriend who lived in Maine. I went up to Bangor every weekend.

You could similarly have Banged her in Ireland.

David Ames