Old October 5th 05, 05:01 PM

Default FIDE Czar Resigns

MosNews

Chess Boss Steps Down as Russian Regional Leader

Kirsan Ilyuzmzhinov, the president of Russia's internal republic of
Kalmykia of many years, and FIDE president, tendered his resignation
this week, the ITAR-TASS news agency reported Wednesday.

Dmitry Kozak, Putin's special envoy to the South Federal District, is
set to hold in the coming days broad consolations in Elista on the
candidacy of Kalmykia's new president, a spokesman at his office told
the agency on Wednesday.

President Ilyuzmzhinov tendered his resignation on Tuesday and
simultaneously raised before Russian President Vladimir Putin the
question of trust in him. The leaders of regional parties, public
groups and Kalmykia's parliament will take part in the consultations
with Kozak.

Ilyumzhinov's administration stressed that "representatives of all
parties and movements opposed to Ilyuzmzhinov will be invited to the
meeting" with Kozak.

Ilyumzhinov's term in office officially expires in November 2006.

Ilyumzhinov has been the head of FIDE, the World Chess Federation,
since 1995.

Over the past years Kalmykia has been a venue for violent protests
against Ilyumzhinov's regime, notorious for human rights abuses and
crackdowns on the free press.

Old October 5th 05, 05:29 PM
David Ames

The subject caption says, "FIDE Czar Resigns." I have read the message
and I do not see where anyone has stepped down from any FIDE post,
whether czar, president, or whatever.

David Ames

Old October 5th 05, 05:37 PM
Chess One

"David Ames" wrote in message
oups.com...
The subject caption says, "FIDE Czar Resigns." I have read the message
and I do not see where anyone has stepped down from any FIDE post,
whether czar, president, or whatever.

Doesn't look like he has yet resigned from Fide David [and Taylor]; Mosnews
is only current source of info at time of writing, and they have no further
details. Phil

David Ames

Old October 5th 05, 05:43 PM
David Ames

Chess One wrote:
"David Ames" wrote in message
oups.com...
The subject caption says, "FIDE Czar Resigns." I have read the message
and I do not see where anyone has stepped down from any FIDE post,
whether czar, president, or whatever.

Doesn't look like he has yet resigned from Fide David [and Taylor]; Mosnews
is only current source of info at time of writing, and they have no further
details. Phil

David Ames

Sure, my complaint is that the item purports to be FIDE news, but
isn't.

David

Old October 5th 05, 06:05 PM
Anders Thulin

Chess One wrote:

Doesn't look like he has yet resigned from Fide David [and Taylor]; Mosnews
is only current source of info at time of writing, and they have no further
details. Phil

ITAR-TASS has it, too.

--
Anders Thulin ath*algonet.se http://www.algonet.se/~ath

Old October 5th 05, 06:14 PM
Anders Thulin

Anders Thulin wrote:

ITAR-TASS has it, too.

And Interfax, but no more info.

--
Anders Thulin ath*algonet.se http://www.algonet.se/~ath

Old October 5th 05, 08:13 PM
LSD

"David Ames" wrote in message
oups.com...

Chess One wrote:
"David Ames" wrote in message
oups.com...
The subject caption says, "FIDE Czar Resigns." I have read the message
and I do not see where anyone has stepped down from any FIDE post,
whether czar, president, or whatever.

Doesn't look like he has yet resigned from Fide David [and Taylor];
Mosnews
is only current source of info at time of writing, and they have no
further
details. Phil

David Ames

Sure, my complaint is that the item purports to be FIDE news, but
isn't.

David

A shift in the career direction of the president of FIDE is isn't FIDE news?

LSDavid

Old October 5th 05, 08:51 PM
Chess One

"Anders Thulin" wrote in message
Chess One wrote:

Doesn't look like he has yet resigned from Fide David [and Taylor];
Mosnews is only current source of info at time of writing, and they have
no further details. Phil

ITAR-TASS has it, too.

Yes - Itar/Tass is cited in the MosNews article - no more details yet Phil

--
Anders Thulin ath*algonet.se http://www.algonet.se/~ath

Old October 5th 05, 11:11 PM
David Ames

LSD wrote:
"David Ames" wrote in message
oups.com...

Chess One wrote:
"David Ames" wrote in message
oups.com...
The subject caption says, "FIDE Czar Resigns." I have read the message
and I do not see where anyone has stepped down from any FIDE post,
whether czar, president, or whatever.

Doesn't look like he has yet resigned from Fide David [and Taylor];
Mosnews
is only current source of info at time of writing, and they have no
further
details. Phil

David Ames

Sure, my complaint is that the item purports to be FIDE news, but
isn't.

David

A shift in the career direction of the president of FIDE is isn't FIDE news?

LSDavid

No, it changes nothing about his relationship to FIDE. It changes his
relationship to the political structure of the civil government.

David Ames

Old October 6th 05, 12:27 AM
Chess One

"David Ames" wrote in message A shift in the
career direction of the president of FIDE is isn't FIDE news?

LSDavid

No, it changes nothing about his relationship to FIDE. It changes his
relationship to the political structure of the civil government.

Six months ago he fell out with Moscow, and threatened to turn Kalmykia into
' a second Chechnyia ', and I thought at the time that this would present a
future and inevitable confrontation with the Russian president that Kirsan
couldn't win; as well as trouble with those religious insurgents who are
already active in that republic; plus increasing domestic civil strife
[including hunger strikes] for, among other things, taking peasants money
so we all can play chess with it, even in Libya, &c.

Karpov has said recently that he would not be opposed to becoming Fide's
president, and a rough canvass in June thought he could succeed. Other
candidates are also available, but few from the West, and these, less
likely.

So watch Karpov's moves.

Phil Innes, 5 October, 2005.

David Ames