Old October 10th 05, 04:19 PM
Liam Too

Default Question for Parr on Evans quote

Taylor Kingston wrote:
I'm asking this since I figure Parr will know Larry Evans'
writings. On page 351 of the new edition of "Russians versus
Fischer" there is an excerpt from TASS, which quotes Evans as writing
in the July 1972 New York Post: "Bobby calmly plays can-and-mouse
with Boris." I would think that surely "can" is a typo, that Evans
wrote "cat-and-mouse". Can Parr or anyone else confirm this?

Battle of the wits is also known as "can-and-mouse" in the computer
world.

http://www.atariage.com/2600/manuals_old/sub_scan.html

Old October 11th 05, 09:11 AM

BATTERED WIFE SYNDROME

Why does not Taylor Kingston send an E-mail to GM Larry Evans and ask
him directly rather than asking Larry Parr on Usenet?...Evidently, both
Taylor Kingston and Larry Parr regard their continuing 'flame war' as
being of compelling interest to us as well as to themselves. Perhaps
Taylor Kingston also likes to remind us that he's a sanctimonious
prig. -- Nick

Nick Bourbaki is correct. Both NM Taylor
Kingston, the 1800-rated but self-proclaimed 2300+
ELO gorgon, and this writer figure that our flame war
is of "compelling interest" to others.

To ourselves, too. NM Kingston tells us how
bored he is, but the guy is always good for a riposte.
He announced he was leaving our happy rgcp home and
setting out on the journey of a better life. But like
a battered woman, he has returned to the domestic
hearth for more of the same.

Nick himself has obviously been following the
action, and there have been several stepping in to
prop up NM Kingston.

The whole thing may be silly, petty, vicious,
and fun, but it is also interesting.

Old October 11th 05, 01:23 PM
Taylor Kingston

Um, Larry, this was a simple question, not attacking you or anyone,
having nothing to do with any flame war, and calling for a simple
answer, basically "yes" or "no," or "I don't know" if appropriate.
Here's the question again:

Old October 18th 05, 01:25 AM

On 11 Oct 2005 05:23:27 -0700, "Taylor Kingston"
wrote:

Um, Larry, this was a simple question, not attacking you or anyone,
having nothing to do with any flame war, and calling for a simple
answer, basically "yes" or "no," or "I don't know" if appropriate.
Here's the question again:

I'm asking this since I figure Parr will know Larry Evans'
writings. On page 351 of the new edition of "Russians versus
Fischer" there is an excerpt from TASS, which quotes Evans as writing
in the July 1972 New York Post: "Bobby calmly plays can-and-mouse
with Boris." I would think that surely "can" is a typo, that Evans
wrote "cat-and-mouse". Can Parr or anyone else confirm this?

What this proves is what we already knew, which is that Taylor
Kingston and his alter ego Edward Winter go through everything written
or published by their three favorite targets, Larry Evans, Raymond
Keene and Eric Schiller, and search for every case of even the
slightest or most insignificant error or typo and make a major federal
case out of it.

The "book review": subsequently published by Taylor Kingston or Edward
Winter will say something like: "This is a bad book. Why, it contains
five typos and here they are. Nobody should waste their money buying
this book."

The fact that the content of the panned book contains useful and
valuable information is ignored.

At least the members of this group can now see, as one member of this
group has just noted, "Taylor Kingston also likes to remind us that
he's a sanctimonious prig."