Old October 13th 05, 11:34 PM
Angelo DePalma

Default Topalov is World Champion

Everyone in San Luis drew today, so Topolov wins the World Championship with
a round to go.

Way to go, Topo!

Topo means mouse in Italian.

Now don't do something stupid like play Krabcake.

Old October 14th 05, 12:41 AM
Alfanje

The good thing is that the next World Champion will be respected as a
leading player, possibly the best (only Anand has a higher rating).
Kramnik has definitely lost Kasparov's sceptre.

Topo means mole in Spanish

Old October 14th 05, 05:03 AM
Ray Gordon

The good thing is that the next World Champion will be respected as a
leading player, possibly the best (only Anand has a higher rating).
Kramnik has definitely lost Kasparov's sceptre.

I believe it is fair to recognize Topalov as the 2005 World Champion of
Chess.

I still think there are some players who are stronger: Kasparov, Fischer
(yes, Fischer), and a few guests who hang on the internet servers (j/k).

Old October 14th 05, 09:25 PM
keithbc

i felt a bit cheated that he was 'allowed' to take draws at will in his
remaining games...

Old October 14th 05, 11:22 PM
Ray Gordon

i felt a bit cheated that he was 'allowed' to take draws at will in his
remaining games...

His opponents had their ratings to consider.

Old October 15th 05, 07:58 AM
keithbc

Ray Gordon wrote:
i felt a bit cheated that he was 'allowed' to take draws at will in his
remaining games...

His opponents had their ratings to consider.

I don't know, but I felt that although Anand is undoubably a superb
player, he lacks ruthlessness, which I felt was apparnt in his match vs
Kasparov. I also saw it when he forces an earlier draw as white vs
Topalov and therefore, realistically ceasing his chance of ever
catching up with the Bulgarian. Shame Kaspaprov retired is what I say,
he (and Fischr and Korchnoi, and Larsen) are true fighters who NEVER
know when to give up!