Old October 17th 05, 01:29 AM
Gunsberg

Default Book - Shahade: Chess Bitch

Joshua Houk wrote:
Anders Thulin wrote in news:r7r4f.148443
:

Irritatingly enough, I've just received a notice that this
book has been published, and and that I will probably get it
in 4-6 weeks (which I hope is just a pessimistic estimate).

Has anyone read it yet? Any comments on it?

(I see that Amazon has a few user comments, but they are
considerably below the level of critical evaluation I was
hoping for ...)

I haven't read it yet (it's in the mail), but I did spy a short
but serious review by the Philadelphia City Paper he

http://citypaper.net/articles/2005-10-06/cover9.shtml

I've only briefly looked through "Chess Bitch", but the review
seems to be fairly accurate. What can you expect, given the title? It
does fill a lacuna that had existed in chess literature, I suppose.
Very anecdotal, very chatty. The material meanders a bit, and there is
some repetition. On the other hand, it is an easy read. One has to take
into account that Shehade is only 24 years old, and obviously lacks
experience in this type of ambitious writing endeavor. I think that the
book could have benefited by having more of a focus on Chess history,
and the role that women players had in it. A few seriously annotated
games would have been nice, rather than having the game scores simply
slapped into an appendix at the end of the book.