Old October 17th 05, 08:24 AM
Major Cat

Default Chess480 is less...pompous!

Web site

http://fischer-random-chess.wikiverse.org/

is one of the better ones around when it comes to explain-
ing what "Chess960" is all about.

Here is an excerpt:

"This particular chess variant has a number of different
names. The first names applied to it include "Fischer Ran-
dom Chess" and "Fischerandom Chess".

Hans-Walter Schmitt (chairman of the Frankfurt Chess Tigers
e.V.) is an advocate of this chess variant, and he started
a brainstorming process to choose a new name for it. The new
name had to obey the following requirements on the parts of
some leading grandmasters:

# It should not use parts of the name of any Grandmaster
colleague.

# It should not include negatively biased or "spongy"
elements like "random" or "freestyle".

# It should be understood worldwide.

This effort culminated in the name "Chess960", deriving from
the number of different initial positions."

Another excerpt reads:

"At this time the terms "Fischer Random Chess" or
"Fischerandom Chess" are more common. It is not yet clear
if these other, newer terms, or yet another one will replace
it."

I am of the humble opinion that the moniker "Chess960" is a
definite improvement. However, for the life of me, I cannot
fathom the desire to adopt the rather inflationary number
960. Half of "Chess960" is a "mirror" of the other half and
as such enjoys no independent analytical significance. I
have been able to locate just one reference to "Chess480" on
the Internet. I believe that the latter moniker is way more
reasonable and certainly less...pompous!:} At a minimum, its
adoption would lead to the obvious requirement that the Ks
be placed somewhere on the good ol'...K-side. Since the op-
posite side will not necessarily be the Q-side, perhaps the
term "O-side" will stick!:}

Any thoughts?

Major Cat

Old October 17th 05, 12:11 PM
Tord Kallqvist Romstad

Major Cat writes:

I am of the humble opinion that the moniker "Chess960" is a
definite improvement.

My own humble opinion is that both names are roughly equally stupid.

However, for the life of me, I cannot fathom the desire to adopt the
rather inflationary number 960. Half of "Chess960" is a "mirror" of
the other half and as such enjoys no independent analytical
significance.

This is just plain wrong. All 960 positions are different from an
analytical point of view. Any position is different from its mirrored
position, because of the difference between long and short castling.
When castling long, the king ends up three squares from the edge of
the board, and when castling short, it ends up just two squares from
the edge.

As a simple example, consider the initial position where white's back
rank is (Bishop, Bishop, Knight, Knight, Rook, King, Rook, Queen). In
this position, 1. O-O is a legal first move for white. Now look at
the mirrored position, where white's back rank is (Queen, Rook, King,
Rook, Knight, Knight, Bishop, Bishop). Obviously white cannot castle
at the first move, which means that the position is clearly
fundamentally different from its mirror image.

--
Tord Romstad
Old October 17th 05, 11:03 PM
Ray Gordon

Default Fischer Random Chess

Get over it: Bobby is the first proponent of the game.

Just like incremental play in chess is derived from the "Fischer Clock."

Old October 19th 05, 03:50 PM
Raimund Klein

Major Cat schrieb:
Tord Kallqvist Romstad wrote:

Major Cat writes:

[...]

Thank you for the timely enlightenment. I was not aware of
the gory details of castling under Chess960. It seems to me
that Chess960 is a castling rulebook accompanied by "chess"
as a...footnote! :} There is no way that I would ever play
this contrived monster!!

There seem to be quite different opinions about this. I remember reading
somewhere that castling in 960 is only legal if by chance the king and
the rook are placed at the "normal" squares in the initial position.
Old October 19th 05, 06:35 PM
Major Cat

Major Cat writes:

I am of the humble opinion that the moniker "Chess960" is a
definite improvement.

My own humble opinion is that both names are roughly equally stupid.

Fair enough; as of yesterday, I do not really care about
Chess960!

Old October 19th 05, 06:53 PM
Major Cat

Ray Gordon wrote:

Get over it: Bobby is the first proponent of the game.

"Bobby"? I presume you are talking about the venerable
Mr. Fischer. If I remember correctly, this gentleman revived
Capablanca's earlier proposals regarding chess variants that
presumably would render FIDE Chess opening theory obsolete.
In fact, for a long time, Mr. Fischer did not even insist on
white/black starting array symmetry, much like Capablanca...
I would be delighted to see his name associated with the
contrived castling rules of Chess960. In fact, these rules
_deserve_ to be called the Fischer Castling Rules, yes, of
none other but the one and only one Fischer Random Chess!

Major Cat

Old October 19th 05, 07:12 PM
Major Cat

Major Cat writes:

[...]

This is very interesting. In fact, it coincides with what
is going on under Chess18, my personal favourite...:}
Chess18 is a subset of Mr. Lewis' Chess480 where the two
Rooks and the King are placed on their FIDE squares. FIDE
Chess is a subset of Chess18.

Major Cat

Old October 20th 05, 05:07 PM
John Rowland

"Major Cat" wrote in message

I was not aware of
the gory details of castling under Chess960.
It seems to me that Chess960 is a castling
rulebook accompanied by "chess"
as a...footnote! :} There is no way that I
would ever play this contrived monster!!

How about Chess 1920, in which the bishops go on opposing colours, and the
King can not go between the two rooks, and there is no castling at all?
Since both players are effectively castled already, it removes one bit of
predictability and tedium from the beginning of the game, and it also
prevents one of the starting positions from being the standard one for which
so much theory is known.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old October 20th 05, 11:43 PM
Major Cat

John Rowland wrote:

"Major Cat" wrote in message

I was not aware of
the gory details of castling under Chess960.
It seems to me that Chess960 is a castling
rulebook accompanied by "chess"
as a...footnote! :} There is no way that I
would ever play this contrived monster!!

How about Chess 1920, in which the bishops go on opposing colours, and the
King can not go between the two rooks, and there is no castling at all?
Since both players are effectively castled already, it removes one bit of
predictability and tedium from the beginning of the game, and it also
prevents one of the starting positions from being the standard one for which
so much theory is known.

Is there any hard copy or electronic literature on
this variant?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Major Cat

Old October 21st 05, 04:40 AM
John Rowland

"Major Cat" wrote in message
John Rowland wrote:
"Major Cat" wrote in message

I was not aware of
the gory details of castling under Chess960.
It seems to me that Chess960 is a castling
rulebook accompanied by "chess"
as a...footnote! :} There is no way that I
would ever play this contrived monster!!

How about Chess 1920, in which the bishops go on
opposing colours, and the King can not go between
the two rooks, and there is no castling at all?
Since both players are effectively castled already,
it removes one bit of predictability and tedium from
the beginning of the game, and it also prevents one
of the starting positions from being the standard one
for which so much theory is known.

Is there any hard copy or electronic
literature on this variant?

I just made this variant up, although it's such an obvious variant that
there may be prior literature on it. What literature were you hoping for?
Isn't the whole point of random chess that there should be no literature?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped