Old October 25th 05, 09:46 PM
Member

Default U.S. Women's Olympiad Team

Shame on the USCF for allowing the Number One rated female player in the U.S. to wash her hands of the 2006 U.S. Olympiad Team because "some chess politicians managed to destroy the most successful women's chess program in US history."

Check out Susan Polgar's blog on this subject at:

http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2005...piad-team.html

At her blog, Susan Polgar and many many other Chess Fans and enthusiasts lament the fact that "other countries are improving at a rapid rate while we have no plan to help our future generations."

This is a disgrace for all U.S. Chess fans, and it SHOULD NOT BE CONTENANCED. Last year, the 2004 Women's Olympiad Team, led by GM Susan Polgar playing First Board, brought home a Silver Medal for the United States. This was by no means a trivial accomplishment, as it was the FIRST TIME EVER a U.S. Women's team ever took home a medal of any kind. Not only that, GM Polgar and other team members took some individual medals home as well. I know for a fact that many of the regulars here at this forum followed the Olympiad in Calvia, game-by-game, and I know I wasn't the only one here who felt a sense of pride in the women's team accomplishments.

Finally, I would like to stress that it is well known fact that Susan Polgar dedicated much of her personal time and resources not only to play at the event, but also to promote and prepare for the event as well. She donated her Chess Club to be used as the Official Training Center of the U.S. Team. She and her business manager Paul Truong arranged for training sessions with some of the world's leading GM's, including none other than Garry Kasparov. There is no doubt that without her partication, the 2004 Olympiad would not be nearly as successful as if she was not a part of the team.

MORE NOISE NEEDS TO BE MADE ABOUT THIS SUBJECT. THE USCF should be held accountable for the sorry-state of affairs that currently is the US Chess Olympiad Progam.

And no matter how any of this turns out, I would like to personally thank Susan Polgar and Paul Truong for leading our team in 2004. She handled herself like a true champion who responded with the utmost grace and dignity over and away from the Chessboard, even when faced with death threats and the like.

Last edited by Louis : October 25th 05 at 10:28 PM
Old October 28th 05, 09:50 PM

Follow the money.