Old October 26th 05, 04:14 AM

Default Sunshine is best disinfectant

SECRECY AND SUNSHINE

During the Dlugy presidency, Friends of the USCF
managed to get passed a resolution limiting Board secrecy
to sealed bids (which had to be revealed once they were all
received) and salary and personnel information for
employees other than, if memory serves, the ED and the
editor. In short, lower-level personnel were not
subject to Federation political debate.

The current secrecy over the Book and Equipment
negotations is likely in violation of the Federation's
own rules, which I believe could affect the legal
protection offered to Board members if a suit is
eventually filed.

Now, then, is it a practical proposition to
pressure these people?

If you have the will, then the money, which is
to say, the cash side is relatively minuscule. It
involves some mailings and some trips, though these
latter can be local once the committee or committees
are established around the country.

A few years back Larry Evans and I began to put
together a network to fight drug testing and collected
hundreds of signature.

Then this writer and GM Evans received communications
from Tim Redman, John McCrary (if memory serves) and others
begging us to desist on two grounds.

First, the Federation really would oppose drug testing (which they
have yet to do); and secondly, the financial situation of the USCF was
so shaky that even a partially successful boycott could fatally
undermine
the USCF.

Larry and I bought the second argument, never
believing for a second the first. We figured that the
politicians were about right on the finances, and we
decided that there was no point in forcing the
Federation to do the right thing if there would be no
Federation (even remotely as we know it) to do that
right thing.

Right now, the Federation is in a cash crunch
that does not, however, threaten its existence. Later
today, I will post a drug-testing petition asking all
of you on rgcp and rgcm and the fide-chess group to
think twice about purchasing products from the USCF
until the Federation finally keeps its word to oppose
drug testing, root and branch.

The petition does not ask you NOT to purchase
memberships or products, but it does ask you whether
you might forego purchases at this time or cancel them
altogether or buy from a different dealer until the USCF
takes an affirmative stand in favor of social freedom.

Please post this petition at your local clubs
and let Board members know that you are fed up and
will not support the USCF further until they do the
right thing.

Many of you who supported the earlier effort by
GM Evans and this writer: I ask you to contact me
again, and I think it time we set up local action
chapters against drug testing in chess. I know that a
number of websites will carry our appeal, and if you
want to force this Board to communicate with
Federation members and the chess community at large,
then the campaign against drug testing in chess is the
place to begin.

Yours, Larry Parr