Old October 27th 05, 05:14 PM
Matt Nemmers

Default Pawns Call King a Rook Members of the Internet Chess Server rebel against fees by Brad Stone

The Pushed Pawn wrote:
READ the complete story on http://pushedpawn.org

Pawns Call King a Rook
Members of the Internet Chess Server rebel against fees.
by Brad Stone

In the virtual chess halls of the Internet, the gambit gladiators emerge at night, brandishing their slick graphical interfaces and flexing their high ratings in "shouts" to other members. It's a nightly ritual: the search for a high-stakes match that can bump the rating of a player past the 2200 mark and into the esteemed company of the masters.

Less ambitious players crowd around a particular game to observe two experts squaring off, or huddle in one of the many talk channels to gossip or chat about such weighty matters as the weaknesses of the Sicilian Defense. To the uninitiated, this could be mistaken for unabashed geekdom. But to the thousands of enthusiasts on the Internet, online chess has revolutionized the game.

Where else can a novice in Los Angeles get advice from an expert in Denmark? How else could a die-hard in New York swap opening strategies with a grandmaster from Russia? For many Netters, Internet chess is nothing less than a way of life.

Which goes a long way toward explaining how, on March 1, 1995, the online chess world was thrown into chaos. That was when the Internet Chess Server (ICS) -- the premier chess site on the Net -- suddenly announced it would become the Internet Chess Club (ICC) and begin charging members $49 a year.

Please explain how ICC starting to charge a fee for playing on their
server TEN YEARS AGO is news. A bit behind the power curve, Andy?
Well, that's not news, either...

Old October 27th 05, 06:49 PM

Matt Nemmers wrote:
The Pushed Pawn wrote:
[...]

.... Also, since the cost is still $49 a year doesn't that show a good
value with no price increases over 10 years?

By the way, I don't belong to ICC. I play regularly at FICS. Not only
is it free but there are a lot on international players there.
If anyone is interested, I found the Babaschess interface to be great.

Ron Suarez

Old October 29th 05, 02:53 AM
The Pushed Pawn

wrote in message
ups.com...
***
... Also, since the cost is still $49 a year doesn't that show a good
value with no price increases over 10 years?

By the way, I don't belong to ICC. I play regularly at FICS. Not only
is it free but there are a lot on international players there.
If anyone is interested, I found the Babaschess interface to be great.

Ron Suarez

Ron you have good taste ... ditto for me Babas is good .....
btw we can only speculate why these other people do what they see you soon
online though lately I am working alot and moving again $49 was and is
expensive for what yahoo and MSN doesn't charge either .... of course they
have the big bucks but imagine this if $49 is expensive now imagine how
expensive it must of felt like back then an Sleator thought people should
just pay it like a parking ticket when he is too me a crook.

BTW 2 I wrote a deeper up to date article on the issue of chess servers that
will come out soon when I get a chance too bad some adults don't know how to
read for reading sake as news is news and a story is a story. Do you play
crazyhouse 15 3?