Old October 27th 05, 11:30 PM

Default Falsifying Tournament Report?

I have just heard from sources that a tournament report for a
GrandMaster event held in August in Chicago was falsified by the
organizer/chief td in order for a player to achieve a GrandMaster norm
and FIDE caught onto it.

Anyone have any further information on this?

CD2K

Old October 28th 05, 02:32 PM

Who did what? Tell us what you know and we'll tell you if it's true.

Old October 28th 05, 03:10 PM

I cannot verify myself but I heard that an organizer, Larry Cohen,
changed the order games were played on the submitted tournament report
so a player could get their GM norm. If he didn't change the order the
player would not get the norm.

BTW - how do these norm things work? And how would changing the order
make a difference?

Old October 29th 05, 04:06 AM
Matt Nemmers

"Vince Hart" wrote in message
oups.com...
SNIP
It is just that I have
always found him [Larry Cohen] to be very transparent. It is hard for me
to imagine
him being cunning or sly.

Vince Hart

LOL. But wasn't he the one who approved the ICA tour fees?

Old October 29th 05, 04:10 AM
Vince Hart

Matt Nemmers wrote:
"Vince Hart" wrote in message
oups.com...
SNIP
It is just that I have
always found him [Larry Cohen] to be very transparent. It is hard for me
to imagine
him being cunning or sly.

Vince Hart

LOL. But wasn't he the one who approved the ICA tour fees?

I am not claiming that he has never made any mistakes. When he was ICA
President, there certainly were some problems. However, unlike some,
to the best of my knowledge he never tried to deny the existence of the
problems or look for scapegoats. I have never known him to be sneaky
about anything.

Vince Hart

Old October 29th 05, 12:15 PM

On 27 Oct 2005 15:30:38 -0700, wrote:

I have just heard from sources that a tournament report for a
GrandMaster event held in August in Chicago was falsified by the
organizer/chief td in order for a player to achieve a GrandMaster norm
and FIDE caught onto it.

Anyone have any further information on this?

CD2K

On 28 Oct 2005 12:56:30 -0700, "Vince Hart"

I cannot verify myself but I heard that an organizer, Larry Cohen,
changed the order games were played on the submitted tournament report
so a player could get their GM norm. If he didn't change the order the
player would not get the norm.

BTW - how do these norm things work? And how would changing the order
make a difference?

I have never heard that the order of results within a tournament makes
any difference to a GM or IM norm. It makes me wonder how many steps
your source was removed from someone with actual knowledge of the
event.

As far as the tournament goes, the only thing I know is that it took
place.

On the other hand, I have known Larry Cohen for many years and he
really is the last person I would expect to falsify a tournament
report. It is not so much that I know him to be particularly pure or
good (although I think he is a decent guy). It is just that I have
always found him to be very transparent. It is hard for me to imagine
him being cunning or sly.

Vince Hart

I believe it is possible. It takes nine games to make a Grandmaster
Norm. If the tournament is ten rounds, and the player has made the
grandmaster norm by round nine, then the last game does not count.

The tournament apparently was
http://www.uschess.org/msa/XtblMain....38531-11264417

Take a look at the order of the games.

BENJAMIN P FINEGOLD |6.0 |D 1|D 4|D 2|D 5|W 6|D
1|D 2|W 6|W 5|L 4

This was a double round robin. The sequence of opponents was
1 4 2 5 6 1 2 6 5 4

As you can see, the rounds in the second half of the tournament were
played in a different order from the first half of the tournament. It
does look suspiciously like the loss to four in the last round may
have actually been played in round seven rather than round ten.