Old October 30th 05, 01:58 AM

Default My Wikipedia Biography of Kamran Shirazi

Kamran Shirazi
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Kamran Shirazi (b. 1952) is an International Master of chess from
Iran. He came to America in the late 1970s and quickly became one of
the most active players in the country, winning many tournaments. He
was known for playing strange and unorthodox openings. As this was a
period of rating inflation, the rating of Shirazi rose to over 2700
and he became the highest rated player in the United States Chess
Federation. However, when invited to play in the 1984 U.S. Chess
Championship, Shirazi lost almost all of his games and finished last.

During the Iran Hostage Crisis, Shirazi made the mistake of going back
to his native Iran. He suddenly found out that he could not leave the
country again, because Iranians were unwelcome anywhere in the world.
The United States refused him entry, even though he had an American
wife.

Shirazi did finally get back to the United States, as evidenced by the
fact that he made an appearance in the movie Searching for Bobby
Fischer. That is the real Kamran Shirazi in the movie, not a mere
actor. He is introduced as "Grandmaster Shirazi" but his actual title
is International Master.

Shirazi is still an active chess player. He resides in France and
played in three tournaments in Paris this year.

As of October 2005, his FIDE rating is 2419.

External links
FIDE rating card for Kamran Shirazi
The Chess Games of Kamran Shirazi
USCF Rating of Kamran Shirazi

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamran_Shirazi"
Categories: 1952 births | Chess players | U.S. chess players | Iranian
chess players | French chess players | Chess biographical stubs
Old October 30th 05, 06:56 AM
Edward Labate

Hello Sam,

Shirazi's peak rating was 2606, never anywhere near 2700...his was
never above Christiansen, Browne, Yasser or various other players...I
am pretty sure he was never even in the top five...he was playing in
Anaheim in the mid 80s and I still recall first time he went over
2600!!

Edward Labate

Old October 30th 05, 11:22 AM

On 29 Oct 2005 23:56:50 -0700, "Edward Labate"
wrote:

Hello Sam,

Shirazi's peak rating was 2606, never anywhere near 2700...his was
never above Christiansen, Browne, Yasser or various other players...I
am pretty sure he was never even in the top five...he was playing in
Anaheim in the mid 80s and I still recall first time he went over
2600!!

Edward Labate

I believe that you are mistaken. I distinctly recall that Shirazi was
rated higher than Boris Spassky, which I felt was rather odd and
noteworthy.

Perhaps Mike Nolan or someone with access to the old records can look
this up. If you are proven correct, I will change the biography.

Old October 30th 05, 10:10 PM
Edward Labate

Hello Sam, It may bave been higher than Spassky's rating, but that
could have only been because Spassky's was FIDE rated and Kamran's was
USCF...Shirazi, to the best of my knowledge has never been over 2500
FIDE, whereas I'm guessing Boris hasn't been over 2600 FIDE for at
least 20 years, and is currently at around 2550...maybe?!

However, you stated highest US player, so even if he was higher than
France's Boris Spassky, that wouldn't have supported highest USA
player. Additionally, I do have Chess Life Annuals going back to 1962,
and most April issues would have the annual rankings. A cursory glance
at several annuals showed Shirazi never making the top ten...I forgot
about Alburt, Benjamin, De Firmian, Dlugy, Fedorwicz, Gurevich,
Canadian Igor Ivanov who did have a USCF rating, Kavalek, Rhode, and
Michael Wilder, were all higher rated throughout the 80s, Kamran's best
years!! After perusing several annual list, I can restate he never
even made the top ten list...nevertheless, still a great and enjoyable
player to watch as evidenced by...

Alburt,L (2570) - Shirazi,K (2470) [A43] USA-ch USA (9), 1983 1 d4 c5 2
d5 Nf6 3 Nc3 g6 4 e4 d6 5 Nf3 Bg7 6 Be2 0-0 7 0-0 Na6 8 Nd2 Nc7 9 a4 e6
10 Nc4 e:d5 11 e:d5 b6 12 Bf4 Ba6 13 b3 Re8 14 Bf3 Nh5 15 Bd2 B:c4 16
b:c4 Qh4 17 Be2 Be5 18 g3 N:g3 19 h:g3 B:g3 20 Kg2 Qh2+ 21 Kf3 B:f2 22
Rg1 Re5 23 Bd3 B:g1 24 Ne4 Rf5+ 0-1

and

Shirazi,K (2350) - Alburt,L (2575) [B02] Lone Pine op Lone Pine, 1981
1 e4 Nf6 2 e5 Nd5 3 c4 Nb6 4 c5 Nd5 5 Bc4 c6 6 Qe2 b6 7 Nc3 N:c3 8 d:c3
b:c5 9 Nf3 e6 10 Ng5 f5 11 Bf4 Be7 12 h4 Qa5 13 g4 h6 14 N:e6 d:e6 15
g:f5 h5 16 Rg1 Kf8 17 f:e6 Ba6 18 Bg5 B:g5 19 R:g5 Qc7 20 0-0-0 B:c4 21
Q:c4 Ke8 22 Qd3 1-0

Sadly, in the 1984 US Ch., he was 0.5 - 16.5, including this
debacle....

Shirazi,K (2465) - Peters,J (2500) [B20]
USA-ch Berkeley (15), 1984

1 e4 c5 2 b4 c:b4 3 a3 d5 4 e:d5 Q:d5 5 a:b4 Qe5+ 0-1

In all fairness,

Best Wishes,
Edward Labate
www.labatechess.com
1038 N. Tustin Ave.; Suite 364
Orange, CA 92867-5958
(714) 998-4006

Old October 31st 05, 02:21 AM

Edward Labate wrote:

However, you stated highest US player, so even if he was higher than
France's Boris Spassky, that wouldn't have supported highest USA
player. Additionally, I do have Chess Life Annuals going back to 1962,
and most April issues would have the annual rankings. A cursory glance
at several annuals showed Shirazi never making the top ten...I forgot
about Alburt, Benjamin, De Firmian, Dlugy, Fedorwicz, Gurevich,
Canadian Igor Ivanov who did have a USCF rating, Kavalek, Rhode, and
Michael Wilder, were all higher rated throughout the 80s, Kamran's best
years!! After perusing several annual list, I can restate he never
even made the top ten list...nevertheless, still a great and enjoyable
player to watch as evidenced by...

I also seem to remember Shirazi making the top of some rating list back
in the early 80s, maybe it was a Cal list rather than a national one
though. As I recall, he went on a tear at one point and his rating
went way up before going back down.

I played Shirazi twice back when I was an expert, and he destroyed me
very quickly with tactics both times. I think he was actually quite
strong at one point, able to roll over GMs when he got the right kind
of attacking position. His real problems were he didn't have a
"professional mindset." He didn't seem to like to study openings, and
you can only go so far playing the Ponziani, particularly when everyone
knows that you play it. Also, he hated draws and ofen tried to avoid
them at all costs. As a result, when the stronger players figured this
out they would just play solid and wait for him to self-destruct
looking for a way to win. And he was so fond of beautiful combinations
that he would play a weaker move just in the hope that his opponent
would miss a beautiful combinational possibility.

Still, a very interesing player, and also a bit of a character. There
were some stories....

- Geof Strayer

Old October 31st 05, 03:44 PM
Pacifist

Have you guys heard of the Iranian chess-player Mohsen Harandi?

Yesterday, I heard the sad news that he has prostate cancer and has had
to see his house to pay for his treatment. (He is a friend of my
brother.)

Does FIDE have any kind of benevolent fund?

Old October 31st 05, 04:04 PM
Taylor Kingston

Pacifist wrote:
Have you guys heard of the Iranian chess-player Mohsen Harandi?
Yesterday, I heard the sad news that he has prostate cancer and has had
to see his house to pay for his treatment. (He is a friend of my
brother.)

My sincere sympathies about Mr. Harandi. I hope he has a fast
remission.

Does FIDE have any kind of benevolent fund?

You have got to be kidding. However, benevolence is not entirely
unknown within FIDE. Sometimes its high officers have been benevolent
to themselves at the expense of the FIDE treasury.

Old October 31st 05, 04:07 PM
Pacifist

Sorry, typo.... "has had to SELL his house..."

Old November 2nd 05, 10:20 AM
[email protected]

I remember seeing a tournament rating report printout that had Shirazi
at about 2660 after going 4-0 and beating Kamsky for the second
straight Thursday night. He did not stop playing at that point or he
would probably have ranked in the top five when the next list came out.
This must have been circa 1990. It is not so unusual that a middling
top-50 type who plays all the time ranks very high after his best run.
Alex Sherzer also once ranked something like #3 but was down in the
thirties within a year.