Old November 2nd 05, 10:45 PM
Angelo DePalma

Default Perhaps the best chess story of the year

And unbelievably, it's on the ChessBase site:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2713

Old November 2nd 05, 10:58 PM
Angelo DePalma

Default Gorby: ??

I'm sorry to respond to my own post, but I think Gorbachev is one of the 10
greatest people of the 20th century. Maybe one of the top five (Churchill,
Bertrand Russel, Einstein, Milton Friedman...??). Maybe this could be the
start of a mega- who's who thread.

Jeanne Kirkpatrick once stated that the only difference between Gorbachev
and previous Soviet dictators was that Mikhail was alive. I emphatically
disagree.

Gorbachev presided over the relatively blood-less dissolution of the Soviet
empire. Why? I'm not entirely sure, but my feeling is he realized the jig
was up, that there was no way to perpetuate the communist lie. This, mind
you, from a life long communist.

Articles like this one remind me, as if someone who has played 35,000 games
on ICC needs reminding, that chess is a metaphor for life. We are, indeed,
gens una when games, not war, are the basis for our interactions. Sumus gens
ludorum?

Angelo DePalma

Gorby's behavior since the breakup of the Soviet Union supports this
contention.

Old November 2nd 05, 11:47 PM
Chess One

We should have a report about him this week at Chessville, about last week's
events in Kansas with A. karpov and S. Polgar. Phil

news

Old November 3rd 05, 12:26 AM
Chesscafe person

There's already a report at chesscafe.com by Susan

Old November 3rd 05, 02:20 AM
Mike Murray

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 17:45:34 -0500, "Angelo DePalma"
wrote:

And unbelievably, it's on the ChessBase site:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2713

Gorby's choice of 1 g4 (and the remarks he made while making the
move) which he forced on Karpov indicates (1) he understands chess and
(2) has been in contact with Sam Sloan.

Old November 3rd 05, 03:38 AM
chessdon

I was at Lindsborg and can report a remarkable weekend, chess was well
served. Mikhail Korenman did an absolutely fabulous job of organization
and making this happen. He cannot be praised enough for all he did.

Mikhail Gorbachev came across as a real human being who loves his
family and enjoys life. He also answered tough questions from Wall
Street Journal Assistant Managing Editor Alan Murray. He answered those
questions pointedly and always with a bit of humor thrown in. And after
the final event he, with his entourage and security team, slipped into
a bar to chat with the locals.

Susan Polgar and Anatoly Karpov were, for a change, only the supporting
cast. Gorbachev praised Karpov again and again. As for Susan Polgar,
Gorbachev had kisses and a big hug.

Super Photographer Paul truong was always there recording the event
with literally thousands of pictures.

Another star was Gorbachev's translator. I have seen many translators
of leading international celebrities but Gorbachev's translator was
easily the best. Gorbachev spoke fast on complicated delicate matters
and generally spoke long. His translator listened intently and
apparently missed nothing. I mentioned this to Anatoly and Susan and
they agreed with my assessment of the translator.

The security for Gorbachev was very high. They started well before
Gorbachev arrived with individual security checks. During the parade
they were everywhere - up and down the streets, on rooftops, looking
everywhere.

Special thanks to Wes and Mark and all the other locals who helped so
much.

The Alan Murray interview with Gorbachev mainly focused on the China
and Russia adapting to a western economy but one with a different
political structure and the other with no change in political
governance. While they exchanged Q's and A's they played a game of
chess. And when Murray asked President Gorbachev how it feels to once
be one of two superpowers and then see the other clearly be the one
superpower, Gorbachev picked up two castles and asked how would you
like playing without these. Another question was: At the time of the
coup when did you first realize you had a problem? Gorbachev replied:
"Well they came to me and wanted this and that; they were unyielding in
what they wanted. So, I have these five phones with direct lines on my
desk. I began to pick them up and nobody was on the other end of the
line. At that moment, I realized I had a problem!.

I urge everyone to reads Murray's column in today's Wall Street
Journal. It is on page two and takes up four columns. There is a
cartoon next to it showing Gorbachev holding up two balloons one marked
Russia and deflated and the other marked China and filled with air.

Thank you Mikhail Korenman for making this marvelous event happen.

Don Schultz

Old November 3rd 05, 09:29 PM
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo DePalma
And unbelievably, it's on the ChessBase site:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2713
Perhaps?? I would say, without doubt, the BEST chess story of the year!!