Old November 6th 05, 06:53 AM
Angelo DePalma

Default World Team championship

Does anyone know why the World Team Championship only has nine teams (two
from China)? One would expect a decent turnout for such an event, especially
from European countries. It's kind of embarassing actually.

Old November 6th 05, 02:24 PM

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 01:53:34 -0500, "Angelo DePalma"
wrote:

Does anyone know why the World Team Championship only has nine teams (two
from China)? One would expect a decent turnout for such an event, especially
from European countries. It's kind of embarassing actually.

The World Team Championship is not an Olympiad. Teams must qualify
from pervious events. I do not know the rules this year, but in past
years the top five teams from the last Olympiad got in for example.

I am surprised that the USA has a team in the event this year.

http://www.wccisrael.com/

Old November 6th 05, 05:04 PM
nom de guerre

A team of all ex-Soviet players nonetheless.

Old November 6th 05, 11:23 PM
Angelo DePalma

It's a pretty scruffy looking tournament if you ask me. I don't see how
anyone could be interested in it.

Old November 7th 05, 04:27 AM
Petrel

"Angelo DePalma" wrote in message
Does anyone know why the World Team Championship only has nine teams (two
from China)? One would expect a decent turnout for such an event,
especially from European countries. It's kind of embarassing actually.

GM van Wely gave some answers to this in his statement at this link:
http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2707

If I understand this, it was originally expected that Egypt would attend as
a representative of Africa.

Old November 7th 05, 11:31 PM
OlimpBase

Użytkownik "Sam Sloan" napisał w wiadomo¶ci
wrote:
Does anyone know why the World Team Championship only has nine teams (two
from China)? One would expect a decent turnout for such an event,

especially from European countries. It's kind of embarassing actually.
The World Team Championship is not an Olympiad. Teams must qualify
from pervious events. I do not know the rules this year, but in past
years the top five teams from the last Olympiad got in for example.
I am surprised that the USA has a team in the event this year.
http://www.wccisrael.com/
Sam Sloan

The Big Ten are the hosts, four continental champions, top three from recent
Olympiad (as long as those teams do not interfere in which case continental
title majorizes olympiad result) and two invited teams. Since Russia were
strangely counted as reigning European Champions USA, 4th in Calvia got the
spot as Olympic qualifiers. Netherlands have been invited to replace
withdrawn African continental team but they refused and this is why only 9
teams take part.