Old November 7th 05, 07:51 PM
Chess One

Default Will Smith will lead in New Hollywood Chess Movie

From Variety:- //Phil Innes
---------
Walt Disney Co. will reteam with the filmmakers behind its 2,605-screen
release "Miracle" on another inspirational story. It's the memoir "I Choose
to Stay: A Black Teacher Refuses to Desert the Inner City."
Director Gavin O'Connor and his producing partner, brother Greg O'Connor,
will produce the picture through their Solaris Entertainment banner with
partner Tim Chambers.

The book was written by Philadelphia-based educator Salome Thomas-EL. A
gifted child raised in the Philadelphia projects, he earned an Ivy League
education but returned to the inner city to become an elementary school
principal. There, he revived the troubled school's long-dormant chess club
and helped the team go all the way to the national championships.

Chambers brought the project to Solaris. Cecil Murphey served as the book's
co-writer.

"It's not what you think of for another inner-city urban story," Greg
O'Connor told Daily Variety. "You don't need to be a rapper or an athlete."

Overseeing development for Solaris is Josh Fagin, who works out of the
shingle's Gotham office. Buena Motion Pictures Group VP Brigham Taylor
oversees for the studio. The book was published last March through
Kensington Publishing.

The O'Connors, who recently signed with Endeavor for representation,
directed and produced "Tumbleweeds," which won the Filmmakers Trophy at the
1999 Sundance Film Festival. Other pics include "The Slaughter Rule" and HBO
documentary "The Smashing Machine."

Solaris is slated to produce Ed Radtke's "Superheroes" and Will Geiger's
"Elvis & Anabelle." Projects in development include "Pride & Glory," written
by Joe Carnahan ("Narc") and Gavin O'Connor, as well as "Safety," with Kevin
Misher at Revolution Studios.

Date in print: Fri., Feb. 6, 2004, Los Angeles

Old November 7th 05, 11:20 PM

See "A Blackboard Jungle" for a photo of the author with California
governor.

http://websearcht.cs.com/cs/boomfram...526sid%253D433

Old November 8th 05, 12:09 AM
Chess One

Good reference Larry. And good on AF4C.

Rob Mitchell sent me the original material - though we have known about it
for a few months. Governor Arnold, incidentally, is a big chess fan and has
wanted to be in on a TV series related to chess.

But this gentleman that Will Smith is to play is indeed like our friend from
blackboard jungle - but the real thing. It is startling to read about his
first 10 years of teaching and 20 of his students getting murdered.

One thing I always felt inherent in chess was its aggression. Sometimes
there is little between tension and the bullet or the bomb. As Konrad Lorenz
points out in the face of 50 years of psychiatric theorising, aggression is
good if ritualised, and more than good, it is essential to society. This is
a cultural role that chess can play.

I look forward to seeing the movie about this man who has perhaps realised
that wars happen as a result of society failing to win the peace.

Cordially, Phil Innes

oups.com...

Old November 8th 05, 02:42 AM

Why don't they make a movie about my life? I am more sexy than that guy
and I am also a much better chess player.

NM Sam Sloan

Old November 8th 05, 12:51 PM
Chess One

"Sam Sloan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Why don't they make a movie about my life? I am more sexy than that guy
and I am also a much better chess player.

I'll have my people call your people. They'll do lunch.

What do you look like in make-up? And who should play the chess player as a
young man? I was thinking Matt Damon.

Seriously for a moment; (1) who was the last chess player to be portrayed in
a movie other than Josh W? I am amazed that SfBF is on the all-time favorite
movie list in the US, and no one has followed it up until now. (2) Did you
ever hustle any street chess in NY City?

And I recently played a russian master in a park - he gave me a chess set so
we played with it on a park bench, literally without sight of the board
since we didn't have one. The game was anodyne, a draw - but

(3) what's the most unusual game circumstance you've experienced? And since
we are doing questions, (4) have you ever played in a 'theme' tournament,
especially any /weird/ opening event, like 1.g4? And Finally of All (5) what
would the effect have been on your chess career if you had a Bruce
Pandolfini type teacher/mentor as a young man? Would it have made no
difference, a potential difference if you were together enough to learn
anything, or a great difference?

International Celt, Phil Innes

NM Sam Sloan

Old November 8th 05, 10:12 PM
Chess One

Default Chess in the Media, et cetera

TED DANSON

STARS IN THE INSPIRING TRUE STORY OF AN INNER-CITY TEACHER WHO TAUGHT HIS
STUDENTS TO BE CHAMPIONS

AN A&E ORIGINAL MOVIE

KNIGHTS OF THE SOUTH BRONX

DIRECTED BY ALLEN HUGHES - WORLD PREMIERE TUESDAY, DECEMBER 6, 8-10PM ET/PT

New York, NY, October 12, 2005 - A&E Network will debut KNIGHTS OF THE SOUTH
BRONX starring Ted Danson, premiering Tuesday, December 6, 8-10pm ET/PT.
Danson stars as English teacher David MacEnulty in this true story of
heroism and inspiration. KNIGHTS OF THE SOUTH BRONX depicts one man's
struggle to better the lives of underprivileged children from the South
Bronx. By teaching these children chess, he transforms their lives and the
lives of thousands of other kids, their families, and their neighborhoods.
A&E Network will co-produce the film with Fox Television Studios (FtvS).

This is not the story of a successful white businessman who entered an inner
city school and taught kids how to read and write. KNIGHTS OF THE SOUTH
BRONX is a heroic story of a man who came into a broken-down school, taught
a group of aimless inner city children how to play chess, and took them out
into the elitist world of championship chess competition. David MacEnulty
strenuously argued that chess was not just a game but a set of mind skills
that would enable children to face challenges they would encounter in their
lives. They not only learned the art of competition, but triumphed by
beating private school teams across the entire country.

Emmy Award winner Ted Danson has enjoyed a career spanning television, film
and the stage and is beloved for his portrayal of womanizing, recovering
alcoholic barkeep Sam Malone in Cheers (1982-93) and as the crusty physician
Becker (1998-2004), His feature film credits include The Onion Field, Three
Men and a Baby, Body Heat, Creepshow, Cousins, Made in America, Dad, Mumford
and Saving Private Ryan. Among his television films are Something About
Amelia, When The Bough Breaks and Gulliver's Travels.

//Phil Innes - this text comprises 100% of a press release from Vicky Kahn
at A&E Network