Old November 10th 05, 06:19 PM

Default My Wikipedia Biography of Bernard Zuckerman

Bernard Zuckerman
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Bernard Zuckerman (b. March 31, 1943 in Brooklyn, New York) is an
International Master of chess. His birth date is easy to remember,
because he is 22 days younger than Bobby Fischer and he often told
Fischer that as soon as he gets to be as old as him, he would be as
strong as him too.

Sad to relate, Zuckerman was always 22 days short, and therefore never
got to be as good as Fischer.

This, however, did not stop Fischer from calling him all the time
asking Zuckerman to recommend chess openings. Fischer often followed
the advice of Zuckerman, such as for example in the 1962 game
Bilek-Fischer.

Zuckerman is most famous as an authority on the chess openings. This
was first noticed at the 1959 US Open Chess Championship in Omaha,
Nebraska where Grandmaster Arthur Bisguier, who won the tournament,
would often come to ask Zuckerman what opening to play. Observers
could not understand why a grandmaster would asked a rated Class B
Chess Player, as Zuckerman was at the time, what chess openings to
play and then follow his advice.

By 1964, Zuckerman was strong enough to play in the U.S. Chess
Championship. Zuckerman had a simple method for playing against
grandmasters. He would play about 12-15 moves, get a big advantage in
the opening, and then offer a draw.

The grandmaster would scratch his head in wonderment, but, if he knew
Zuckerman, would take the draw.

Occasionally it would happen that a grandmaster would test this and
play on. One grandmaster who tried this was Robert Byrne. Zuckerman
offered Byrne a draw three times during their game. Each time, Byrne
refused the draw offer. This gave Zuckerman no choice but to beat
Byrne, which he did.

However, this proved to be the undoing of Zuckerman. After a while,
tournament organizers stopped inviting him to tournaments because they
knew that almost every game played by Zuckerman would be a short draw.
In addition, because of drawing all his games, Zuckerman could never
get the grandmaster title because, in order to earn the grandmaster
title it is necessary to win some games against grandmasters.
Zuckerman was clearly a grandmaster strength player and played in many
grandmaster norm events, but never got the title because of too many
draws.

Although his rating was never that high in tournament chess, Zuckerman
was a fantastically strong blitz speed player, for the obvious reason
that, even against the strongest grandmasters, he always got a winning
position in the opening.

Zuckerman was one of the few very close friends of Bobby Fischer. They
palled around for years. Of course, it helped that Fischer needed
Zuckerman to teach him how to play the chess openings. Zuckerman
became known as "Zook the Book" or "Zuckerbook" because he knew more
about the chess openings than could be found in any openings book.

Zuckerman has not played in a serious open chess tournament since
1990. He still plays occasionally in Zsuzsa Polgar's blitz tournaments
in Queens, and Zuckerman still wins every game, except that he loses
to Zsuzsa.

Tell Zuckerman that if he does not like this biography, call Sam
Sloan. Zuckerman still lives in Brooklyn Heights with the same
girlfriend and he calls Sam Sloan occasionally, but refuses to leave
his number so that Sam can call him back.

External links
FIDE rating card for Bernard Zuckerman
The Chess Games of Bernard Zuckerman
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Zuckerman"
Categories: Chess players | U.S. chess players

Old November 10th 05, 06:47 PM
Ray Gordon

Is he the one who wrote Chess Bitches?

Old November 10th 05, 07:48 PM
Ian Burton

"Ray Gordon" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is he the one who wrote Chess Bitches?

No, Bernie's the one who may have starred in a porn flick.
--
Ian Burton
(Please reply to the Newsgroup)

Old November 11th 05, 12:05 AM
Ray Gordon

So who's the Chess Bitch everyone is talking about?

Old November 11th 05, 12:38 AM
rlsuth

That would be Sam Sloan.

"Ray Gordon" wrote in message
oups.com...
So who's the Chess Bitch everyone is talking about?

Old November 14th 05, 02:14 PM

Somebody with no name but with a user ID of 69.181.82.102 reorganized
my biography of Bernard Zuckerman without really adding or subtracting
anything as far as I can tell.

I like the way I wrote it better.

I would like opinions as to whether it should be changed back to the
way I wrote it or whether the changes should be left in place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Zuckerman

Old November 20th 05, 04:40 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
N. Silver

Sam Sloan wrote:
Bernard Zuckerman
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Bernard Zuckerman (b. March 31, 1943 in Brooklyn,
New York) is an International Master of chess...

Zuckerman was a whiner. One of his favorite activities was to
buttonhole willing foils to complain ad nauseum about some
perceived injustice suffered by this poor hapless misunderstood
soul, who never really got his due. In the process, his paranoia
often would rear its ugly head, which caused Zuckman to pause
and construct a "chess test" to ascertain whether the listener was
aware of the conspiratorial pearls of wisdom being spouted.