Old November 19th 05, 04:21 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

Default GM Igor Ivanov, 1947-2005

That is saddening. He was only 58. Of what did he die?

Igor died of cancer. His last tournament was in Reno at the Far West
Open last month, but he couldn't finish the schedule. "I hardly
recognized him. He really came to say goodbye to Spassky and me and all
of his old friends," said GM Larry Evans

Igor was an enormously big, rollicking Russian. A wonderful man. I will
never forget the time at the 1990 U.S. Championship in Jacksonville
when there was no coffee to be had. The restaurant was closed, the
coffee shop was closed, the coffee vending machines in the hotel were
empty, and so were the machines in the cafeteria in an office building
next door.

I had just arrived in Jacksonville after putting Chess Life to bed and
was utterly exhausted. I searched for coffee. Igor came out of the
playing enclosure, said hello and noted that I looked tired. I
explained the coffee situation. Without saying a word, he turned
about-face in that way he had, marched to a large silver samovar of a
coffee machine within the players' enclosure and returned with TWO cups
of coffee for me.

Some families don't miss the loss of a member, quite frankly. This
could never be the case with Igor. My heart goes out to those who loved
him. The loss must be grievous.

One hopes that a collection of his games will appear. He was a
traditional winner of the Grand Prix, and he must have played some
wonderfully exciting Swiss battles to add to the higher level games he
produced in round robins.

Old November 19th 05, 06:07 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
Randy Bauer

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Don Aldrich wrote a very nice piece about Igor on the Minnesota Chess Yahoo
Gruop, which I hope he won't mind me re-posting he

It is with great sadness to not that Igor Ivanov just died:

Igor Ivanov passed away on November 17 at 1pm in St. George,
Utah. He died from cancer of the oesophagus that was diagnosed this
past spring. [From a wonderful obit penned by John Donaldson in the Nov. 19
Chess Today)

Many of us remember Igor's visits to the Twin cities in the mid 80's.
Flamboyant, a little bit crazy, a lot drunk, he was a lot of fun. After one
of his visits, we had a Sunday night party at the Chess House (a house
shared by myself and Peter Gisselquist--the 2005 Senior Champ!-- from
1982-1985) with Igor and a host of locals. We were up til dawn playing
blitz.

I attended the US Open in Chicago in '89 ( I think it was '89) with my wife.
Igor was having the tournament of his life--in Round 6, at 5-0, he played
Walter Browne and simply destroyed him with one of the best games he had
ever played. At 1 in the morning, there was a knock at my door. There stood
Igor, eager to show me the game. My wife, bless her heart, got out of bed,
put on a bathrobe, and welcomed Igor to the room. We were up all night
playing over the game, and blitz, and so forth. Despite my entreaties for
Igor to go get some sleep, he was simply too excited. Alas, he lost
miserably in the next round due in part no doubt to lack of sleep, and let
the championship slip away.

John Donaldson mounted a campaign last year to have Igor awarded the GM
title in reconition of his international results in the 90's. It was
awarded this past spring, an even that pleased Igor to no end.

I can honestly say that getting to know Igor was one the best things that
ever happened to me from being a chess organizer.

May he rest in peace.

Don Aldrich

================================================== ================================================== =========

Todd Miller also posted the link to a game which he said was Igor's
favorite. It's a typical Ivanov slugfest. I echo Larry's hope that a
collection of Igor's games will be published sometime soon.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1060949

Randy Bauer

Old November 22nd 05, 07:58 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
Ray Gordon

We should all have some Church's Fried Chicken in his honor.

Old November 23rd 05, 01:01 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
David Ames

Randy Bauer wrote:

Igor Ivanov passed away on November 17 at 1pm in St. George,
Utah.

When I wrote to Bud Lester in St. George, Utak concerning his chess
library, he told me he had sold it. I wonder if Igor Ivanov bought it.

David Ames

Old November 23rd 05, 01:50 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
Randy Bauer

"David Ames" wrote in message
oups.com...

Randy Bauer wrote:

Igor Ivanov passed away on November 17 at 1pm in St. George,
Utah.

When I wrote to Bud Lester in St. George, Utak concerning his chess
library, he told me he had sold it. I wonder if Igor Ivanov bought it.

David Ames

That's an interesting hypothesis, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was
the case. For the record, it was actually Don Aldrich who reported this
detail about Ivanov's passing.

I only met Igor briefly, at this year's USCF awards luncheon, where he
rightly received some recognition for his outstanding chess career. From
my friend Don Aldrich's reminiscence of the man, I wish I had had the
opportunity to know him better.

Randy Bauer

Old November 23rd 05, 04:21 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
FiFiela

I supppose that I should speak no evil of the dead but the fact is that
when sober he could be charming and sweet. When on one of his periodic
alcoholic binges, he could be rude and vile. His poor behavior once
ruined a tournament I directed for everyone that attended. The
tournament ended with his oppentent screaming at him that "You are
Human Scum". Everyone agreed.

I banned him from all future events that I would direct. 5 years late
I relented after pleadings from several sources to allow him to play
again. This week he was a perfect gentleman. Of course, he knew that
one word, one look, one smell of alcohol I would shove him through the
door.

I hope that they have AA meetings in Heaven.

Allan Fifield

Old November 23rd 05, 09:14 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
Edward Labate

"FiFiela wrote:
I supppose that I should speak no evil of the dead but the fact is that
when sober he could be charming and sweet. When on one of his periodic
alcoholic binges, he could be rude and vile."

Igor Ivanov played in at least 30 - 50 of my tournaments, and yes
sometimes he was intoxicated. But even when he was intoxicated, he was
more of a gentleman than most chess players who were sober. Unlike
most chess players, he was friendly, humble, wonderful laugh, and what
a smile with the twinkle in his eyes.

We here in Southern California are absolutely shocked, depressed and
almost in a daze at the loss of Igor. He was too good a person to go
at such a young age. He was a friend to all, a mentor to all, but most
of all he was family to all, and in my case, better than most family
members that I have.

Igor, thank you for gracing our lives, and making us all the richer for
having known you. It was truly our pleasure and our treat. RIP

Old November 24th 05, 02:19 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

Edward Labate wrote:

Igor Ivanov played in at least 30 - 50 of my tournaments, and yes
sometimes he was intoxicated. But even when he was intoxicated, he was
more of a gentleman than most chess players who were sober. Unlike
most chess players, he was friendly, humble, wonderful laugh, and what
a smile with the twinkle in his eyes.

We here in Southern California are absolutely shocked, depressed and
almost in a daze at the loss of Igor. He was too good a person to go
at such a young age. He was a friend to all, a mentor to all, but most
of all he was family to all, and in my case, better than most family
members that I have.

I can second Mr. Labate's statement. I played in a number of
tournaments at Mr. Labate's store in Anaheim in the period when Igor
was very active there, and although sometimes Igor was drinking in
between rounds (sometimes even in between moves), he always seemed to
behave with perfect decorum.

I will remember Igor for the three games I lost miserably to him, and
the generosity he showed in engaging in lengthy and good-natured
post-game analysis with myself and others. I learned a lot from Igor.

- Geof Strayer

Old November 24th 05, 08:00 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
Paul Rubin

"Edward Labate" writes:
We here in Southern California are absolutely shocked, depressed and
almost in a daze at the loss of Igor. He was too good a person to go
at such a young age. He was a friend to all, a mentor to all, but most
of all he was family to all, and in my case, better than most family
members that I have.

I didn't really know him but I met him a few times and he seemed full
of life and humanity. I'm surprised and saddened that he's gone.
Old November 29th 05, 08:01 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
kuhnfucius

I posted this reply, but it didn't seem to take....so:

Shortly after Igor came to the U.S. / Canada, I picked him up in a train
station at Lewistown, Pa. (aka, the sticks) to go to tournament in State
College Pa.. Somewhere along the line (I think it was over lunch) when I was
ackwardly trying to start up a conversation, I said "Well Igor you've seen
several of the largest cities here in the U.S., what city did you like best?
He replied, almost immediately but with regret (sadness?) in his voice.:
"Leningrad, but I can't go back." Well so much for conversation starters.
Otherwise I always thought of him as someone with confidence and great
potential.