Old November 20th 05, 12:03 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default My Wikipedia Biography of Charles Weldon

Charles Weldon
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Charles Weldon (b. 1939 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin - d. 1993 in Belgrade,
Yugoslavia) was a chess master. He was also a professor of computer
science at City University of New York. He was considered to be the
superstar of his university department; one of the brightest and best.
At chess, he won the US Amateur Chess Championship by sweeping all his
games. He was known for playing the Schliemann Defense.

His favorite sport was picking up girls. His Greenwich Village
apartment was ideally strategically located for this productive
activity.

He died at an early age in a shocking way. He became fascinated with
the country of Yugoslavia and traveled there to play in a chess
tournament. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time. He became ill
with appendicitis and was hospitalized. He could have had medevac back
to the United States or to a better hospital in Germany, but he did
not feel that his condition was sufficiently serious. When
complications developed, it was too late. War torn Yugoslavia simply
did not have the life support facilities commonly available in most US
hospitals and suddenly Charles Weldon was dead.

One of the last persons to speak to him was an old girlfriend, Dr.
Joyce Ilson, but by then it was too late for her to help him.

He is survived by a brother and a sister.

Charles Weldon lives on in the hearts and minds of the United States
Chess Federation, as he is still listed as a life member there. There
is also no record of his death in the Social Security Death Index.

This is a stub. I am hoping that somebody can provide a more complete
biography.

External Links
USCF Chess rating for Charles Weldon
This chess-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by
expanding it.

Old November 20th 05, 12:15 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Who is Charles Weldon and why do you care?

Old November 20th 05, 04:01 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
David Ames

Sam Sloan wrote:
Who is Charles Weldon and why do you care?

Sam Sloan

I note the troll's pretend signature of the real Sam Sloan. The
pretend Sam Sloan ignores what the real Sam Sloan wrote, so naturally
that troll ignores the answer to his own question.

What low sport!

David Ames

Old November 20th 05, 04:40 AM posted to rec.games.chess.computer,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
N. Silver

Sam Sloan wrote:
Charles Weldon
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Charles Weldon (b. 1939 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin -
d. 1993 in Belgrade, Yugoslavia) was a chess master.
He was also a professor of computer science at City
University of New York. He was considered to be the
superstar of his university department; one of the brightest
and best.

He was an elitist, unhappy and sometimes hostile individual.
In recent years, many of his (out of date) computer science
books, chess tracts, old copies of Schachmaty, etc. could be
found left for garbage near the south elevators on the 8th floor
of the North Academic Center at City College. Eventually it
all disappeared.

Old November 20th 05, 07:52 PM posted to rec.games.chess.computers,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Sam Sloan wrote:
(SNIP)

Stop crossposting things that have nothing to do with computer chess to
rec.games.chess.computers.

To all who reply; just because Sam Sloan is a crossposting asshat, that
doesn't mean you have to crosspost your replies to rec.games.chess.computers.