Old November 22nd 05, 03:59 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default Letter from John Hilbert to Sam Sloan

140 Parkhurst Blvd.
Kenmore, NY 14223
Sunday, August 4, 2002

Mr. Sam Sloan
39-75 56th St., Apt. 5A
Woodside, NY 11377

Dear Mr. Sloan,

It was a pleasure meeting you in Cherry Hill at the U.S. Open.
I apologize again for not arranging to send you a copy of Shady Side
before. I haven't counted them, but I suspect well over 40 to 50
people contributed some material in one form or another, and with the
book being small press (and very small pay), and review copies not
going out in great numbers, it has been prohibitively costly for me to
send copies at my own expense to all those I would have liked to.
Similarly, many observations about and stories concerning Whitaker had
to be left out, as the book had already become quite massive in scope,
as you will see.

Although the book did not win the Cramer Award for Best Book
of the Year when it appeared, it did win the same award from The Chess
Cafe, in their first competition. I have also taken the liberty of
autographing your copy.

In any event, I hope you enjoy Shady Side. The photograph you
kindly allowed permission to use appears at page 211. Thanks again for
your help. My address appears above, and my email address is

All the best,

John S. Hilbert