Old November 23rd 05, 11:19 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Default im howell banned ?

I appear to have just read on http://icu.ie that IM David Howell has
been banned until 2007 from Irish Chess events for being naughty at a
tournament in Cork. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Old November 23rd 05, 11:31 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

wrote:
I appear to have just read on
http://icu.ie that IM David Howell has
been banned until 2007 from Irish Chess events for being naughty at a
tournament in Cork. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Ah a search on this group has found the answer - seems he's a boxer in
his spare time

Old November 24th 05, 10:14 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Nemesis

I appear to have just read on
http://icu.ie that IM David Howell has
been banned until 2007 from Irish Chess events for being naughty at a
tournament in Cork. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Ah a search on this group has found the answer - seems he's a boxer in
his spare time

Apparently he was unhappy at not receiving the under (whatever) rating
prize last year, did not like the arbiter's answer that titled players
were not eligible, so punched the arbiter with some force on the back
of the head. The British chess press "forgot" to report it, but the
Dutch magazine "New in Chess" revealed all. And I spoke to some of the
witnesses.... It seems out of character, he's normally a nice guy.
Perhaps he could take on an American player with a Japanese name who is
alleged to have the same talents?

Old November 27th 05, 04:51 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Are you implying my friend Hikaru Nakamura? He's a nice boy. Leave him
alone. It's not his fault that he's 1/2 Japanese. Just like it's not my
fault that I'm an a-hole.