Old November 24th 05, 04:30 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

Default Thanksgiving in Malaysia

NO THANKS

In Malaysia, Thanksgiving is a holiday that does not exist.

It is Thursday here and Wednesday evening Stateside. For lunch this
afternoon -- down in the Masjid India section of Kuala Lumpur with its
bustling textile shops, narrow roads with hints of incense, and an
endless flow of men and women walking slowly in their dhobis and saris
-- I shall have a luncheon repast that would interest a Moghul prince.
A friend and I will have a buttered chicken masala curry, a mutton
rogan josh, fried, very crispy cauliflower that turns orange when
cooked, green peas with soy curd, a large bowl of a seasoned creamy
sauce with cottage cheese, a half dozen chappatis and garlic naans, and
some beer to drink for about 35 ringgits or less than nine dollars
total. That amounts to roughly $4.50 each, which is an enormous amount
to spend on lunch over here. But hey, it's Thanksgiving.

I would invite Randy Bauer except he would likely want to see the
health inspection certificate for the restaurant (probably
non-existent) and may quiz the owners on whether they are reporting
their income to the government -- in the belief he holds that property
belongs to the State rather than to individuals, who are merely allowed
to keep what the bureaucrats do not yet choose to claim.

By the time a Bauer type left the place, prices would have to double or
treble.

Old November 24th 05, 02:39 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
David Ames

wrote:
[...]

.... or fourple or fiple. But, anyway, maybe next year you can also
celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving, which corresponds to Columbus Day in
the States.

David Ames

Old November 24th 05, 03:27 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
David Richerby

wrote:
In Malaysia, Thanksgiving is a holiday that does not exist.

Um, it's much quicker to enumerate the countries where Thanksgiving is a
holiday...

Dave.

--
David Richerby Expensive Sushi (TM): it's like a raw
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ fish but it'll break the bank!