Old December 10th 05, 11:16 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess

Default (OT): Can You Trust Wikipedia?

On 8 Dec 2005 10:09:19 -0800, wrote:

It looks to me like the problem runs deeper than just malice.

Think about the history of the Norman Whitaker entry. It was a
disaster when it was first posted, and not because of malice, and not
because the poster was some anonymous ignoramus (it was Sam Sloan).
Eventually it was brought up to a nearly presentable level, because it
caught the attention of people like Kingston. But how many entries is
Sloan going to post, and how many of them does Kingston have time to
fix up? The numbers are against us. The Sloans of the world can work
way faster than the Kingstons, partly because there are more of them,
and partly because research takes time.

The "open to all contributors" approach can be made semi-workable for
something like software, because people only write software because
they need it, and when they need it, they tend to fix their own
mistakes. But Sloan doesn't need to fix mistakes in his Wiki entries.
Whenever Sloan posts a message to RGCP entitled "My Wikipedia entry on
XXX", he's advertising how bad Wiki's problem is. How is it ever going
to get better?

Bruce

You are sadly mistaken. Taylor Kingston contributed nothing to the
Norman T. Whitaker article. The present final article contains not one
word written by Taylor Kingston.

The article is at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Tweed_Whitaker

All of Kingston's edits consisted of nothing more than personal
attacks on me. They were all eventually removed by other Wikipedians,
but not by me. They violated all sorts of rules of Wikipedia.

The present article was written 90 to 95% by me. Several other persons
did make important contributions to the article, but Taylor Kingston
contributed nothing.

Old December 11th 05, 12:42 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess

Default Can you trust me?

I can't trust myself. Can you trust me?