Old December 14th 05, 04:19 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics
Zero

Default Spassky book

can you recommend a good book to buy about Spassky's best games?

I saw one on Amazon called, Spassky by Bernard Cafferty,

there is another one by spassky himself

any ideas?

Old December 14th 05, 01:32 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics

Zero wrote:
can you recommend a good book to buy about Spassky's best games?

I saw one on Amazon called, Spassky by Bernard Cafferty,

there is another one by spassky himself

any ideas?

thereīs also a Spassky book about his playing strategy
by Dutch author-analyst Jan van Reek,
donīt know if it has been translated yet in English
Old December 14th 05, 01:36 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics
Taylor Kingston

wrote:
Zero wrote:
can you recommend a good book to buy about Spassky's best games?

I saw one on Amazon called, Spassky by Bernard Cafferty,

You mean "Spassky's 100 Best Games"? That is a very good book, though
it stops at 1971.

thereīs also a Spassky book about his playing strategy
by Dutch author-analyst Jan van Reek,
donīt know if it has been translated yet in English

Unfortunately, it has, under the title "Grand Strategy: 60 Games by
Boris Spassky." It is an absolutely dreadful book. Avoid it.

Old December 14th 05, 02:03 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics
Arfur Million

Taylor Kingston wrote:

wrote:
Zero wrote:
can you recommend a good book to buy about Spassky's best games?

I saw one on Amazon called, Spassky by Bernard Cafferty,

You mean "Spassky's 100 Best Games"? That is a very good book, though
it stops at 1971.

I seem to recall that there was also a book called something like
"Boris Spassky: Master of Tactics" by Cafferty. Was this the same book
with a different title, or a completely different work (assuming it
isn't a figment of my imagination, which is entirely possible)?

Regards,
Arfur

Old December 14th 05, 02:09 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics
Taylor Kingston

Arfur Million wrote:
I seem to recall that there was also a book called something like
"Boris Spassky: Master of Tactics" by Cafferty. Was this the same book
with a different title, or a completely different work (assuming it
isn't a figment of my imagination, which is entirely possible)?

That was a 1991 reissue of Cafferty's 1972 Spassky book. I have not
seen it, so I do not know if post-1971 material was added, but blurbs
I've seen indicate it is substantially the same, if not identical to
"Spassky's 100 Best Games." Perhaps the notation was changed from
descriptive to algebraic.

Old December 14th 05, 02:25 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics
Arfur Million

Taylor Kingston wrote:
Arfur Million wrote:
I seem to recall that there was also a book called something like
"Boris Spassky: Master of Tactics" by Cafferty. Was this the same book
with a different title, or a completely different work (assuming it
isn't a figment of my imagination, which is entirely possible)?

That was a 1991 reissue of Cafferty's 1972 Spassky book. I have not
seen it, so I do not know if post-1971 material was added, but blurbs
I've seen indicate it is substantially the same, if not identical to
"Spassky's 100 Best Games." Perhaps the notation was changed from
descriptive to algebraic.

Ah, thank you. I remember borrowing the "100 Best Games" version from
the library when I was a lad, and being very impressed but the book
and, of course, the games. Some years ago, I had a chance to acquire a
second-hand copy of "Master of Tactics" without seeing it, but wasn't
sure if it was the same book or not. IMHO, Cafferty is one of the group
of not-that-strong players who write excellent chess books.

Regards,
Arfur

Old December 14th 05, 02:39 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics
Taylor Kingston

Arfur Million wrote:
Taylor Kingston wrote:
Arfur Million wrote:
[...]

Quite so. Cafferty's also an excellent translator of Russian works
(e.g. "Think Like a Grandmaster), and one of the most knowledgeable
Westerners on the history of Soviet chess.

Old December 14th 05, 04:28 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics
Alan OBrien

"Taylor Kingston" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
Zero wrote:
can you recommend a good book to buy about Spassky's best games?

I saw one on Amazon called, Spassky by Bernard Cafferty,

You mean "Spassky's 100 Best Games"? That is a very good book, though
it stops at 1971.

Taylor, I would not call it a *very* good book. I remember it as being full
of spelling mistakes and it had one humorous howler.

In the list of Spassky's career totals the colums "+ = -" had been
transposed to "- = +" thus making it look like Spassky lost heavily against
almost every opponent.

Another downside is that the games are in descriptive - a feature which
becomes less and less appealing to me with every passing year.

The games are good, of course.

Old December 14th 05, 08:36 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics
richard stanz

Alas, there really isn't a good English-language book on Spassky. Your
best bet might be Kasparov's MGP book, which will give you Petrosian at
the same time. The best pure Spassky book is probably Spassky's 400
Selected Games by the Chess Stars folks, but you have to be willing to
put up with Informat codes, rather than plain English game annotations.

The Cafferty book you mention used to be the standard, but it is dated.
If you have your heart set on it, I would stay away from the Harding
Simpole reprint at $30 and look for a used copy on E-bay. (Also, in
case this is a problem for you, you should make sure its now in
algebraic notation. My version of the Cafferty book is an old Batsford
edition which is in descriptive notation.)

Happy hunting,
Richard Stanz

Old December 14th 05, 10:08 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.politics
Louis Blair

Taylor Kingston wrote (14 Dec 2005 05:36:35 -0800):
"Grand Strategy: 60 Games by Boris Spassky"
[by Jan van Reek] is an absolutely dreadful book.
Avoid it.

_
What about:

Boris Spassky's 400 Selected Games
by Sergei Soloviov

http://uscfsales.com/item.asp?cID=6&PID=343

Boris Spassky, Volume 1
by Krogius, Golubev & Gutsait

http://uscfsales.com/item.asp?cID=6&PID=783

Boris Spassky, Volume 2
by Krogius, Golubev & Gutsait

http://uscfsales.com/item.asp?cID=6&PID=784

Boris Spassky - 10th World Champion (CD)
by Grandmaster Khalifman (and others)

http://www.classicalgames.com/Mercha...g ory_Code=dc