Old December 16th 05, 09:50 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default Larry Parr biography on Wikipedia

Larry Parr
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Jump to: navigation, search

Larry Parr is a chess player, author and editor. Born in about 1942,
originally from Belleville, Washington, he has been the editor of
Chess Life magazine, the official publication of the United States
Chess Federation. Parr was also the editor of Glasnost magazine, an
anti-Soviet periodical. Larry Parr is known as a vehement
anti-Communist. He classifies himself as a Libertarian.

Parr is a fluent speaker of Russian. He is believed to have been
trained in Russian by the CIA but he has never conformed or denied
this.

Parr is a close friend of Grandmaster Larry Evans and they often work
together on projects.

Parr is believed to be a chess expert, about 2100 strength. However,
he has played relatively little tournament chess, preferring instead
to write books about the subject. He played in the 1966 US Open in
Seattle but only scored 6-7 after facing strong opposition.

Parr has strong views on chess politics. For that reason, his books
are often banned. Currently, his books are banned by ChessCafe.
ChessCafe has even banned "Bobby Fischer I Knew And Other Stories"
which was awarded "Chess Book of the Year" by the USCF.

Parr now lives in Malaysia where he works for a billionaire
businessman writing his biography.

His wife is Tai from Thai. They have three children.

Books

Bobby Fischer I Knew And Other Stories ISBN 1843820803

Secrets of the Russian Chess Masters: Fundamentals of the Game, Volume
1 ISBN 0393324524

Secrets of the Russian Chess Masters: Fundamentals of the Game, Volume
2 ISBN 0393324516

Pupols: American Master Pupols: American Master ISBN 0938650319

External links

* US Tournament Record for Larry Parr
* {http://www.kids4chess.com/parrfamily/chris.htm Larry Parr
Family website}

This chess-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia
by expanding it.
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Parr"

Categories: Chess stubs | 1942 births | American chess players | Chess
players
Old December 16th 05, 11:08 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
Chess One

wrote in message
Larry Parr
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Jump to: navigation, search

Larry Parr is a chess player, author and editor. Born in about 1942,

We don't know? Maybe it was 1842?

originally from Belleville, Washington,

Never heard of it

he has been the editor of
Chess Life magazine, the official publication of the United States
Chess Federation. Parr was also the editor of Glasnost magazine, an
anti-Soviet periodical. Larry Parr is known as a vehement
anti-Communist. He classifies himself as a Libertarian.

Now, there's a distinction with a difference

Parr is a fluent speaker of Russian.

should read 'fluid'

He is believed to have been
trained in Russian by the CIA

rather than vice versa?

but he has never conformed or denied
this.

typo alert //confirmed

Parr is a close friend of Grandmaster Larry Evans and they often work
together on projects.

what about mentioning what's in the bag?

Parr is believed to be a chess expert, about 2100 strength. However,

grammar! which is not usually important, but in this formation is

he has played relatively little tournament chess, preferring instead
to write books about the subject. He played in the 1966 US Open in
Seattle but only scored 6-7 after facing strong opposition.

but out of how many? what did the winner score? what place did he finish

Parr has strong views on chess politics. For that reason, his books
are often banned. Currently, his books are banned by ChessCafe.
ChessCafe has even banned "Bobby Fischer I Knew And Other Stories"
which was awarded "Chess Book of the Year" by the USCF.

Too diverging a comment, cut the Fischer references.

Parr now lives in Malaysia where he works for a billionaire
businessman writing his biography.

grammar! Larry is not writing Mr. Tans bio!

His wife is Tai from Thai. They have three children.

But otherwise a decent selection of elements. Phil Innes

Old December 17th 05, 12:21 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Please Note: There are several non-chess books for sale on Amazon.com
by someone named Larry Parr. These are murder mysteries, short stories
and the like.

I would like to know if these books are by our Larry Parr, because if
they are, I would like to include them in my biography of him.

Old December 17th 05, 12:46 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Sam Sloan wrote:
Please Note: There are several non-chess books for sale on Amazon.com
by someone named Larry Parr. These are murder mysteries, short stories
and the like.

I would like to know if these books are by our Larry Parr, because if
they are, I would like to include them in my biography of him.

Sam Sloan

They are all Larry Parr's books. I will update his biography promptly.
Thanks for asking.

Old December 18th 05, 12:55 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Bill Brock has just hacked up the Larry Parr biography.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Parr

However, I will do nothing about this at the present time. I will wait
until at least Parr himself weighs in. Parr is apparently asleep over
there in Malaysia and so far has said nothing. Parr for the curse.

Probably, I will make no other edits of the Parr page. I will wait for
others to tackle this one.

I have no objection to others editing my work. To the contrary, I
encourage it. Contributions by others will usually improve the end
result. I just objected to a non-chess player almost completely
deleting my biography of Tom Dorsch.

Old December 22nd 05, 01:55 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Larry Parr is the most talented writer in the last century.

Old December 23rd 05, 01:11 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

User Rook wave, aka "Ralf Callenberg" has
deleted most of my biography of Larry Parr. He has been going around
deleting or modifying all of my biographies of chess players. He is
trying to have my biography of Tom Dorsch deleted altogether.

I need some help from the chess community. I cannot fight this battle
myself.

For starters please take a look at the Parr biography and make some
suggestions about what I can do about this vandal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Parr

Old December 23rd 05, 01:42 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
Ralf Callenberg

Sam Sloan wrote:
User Rook wave, aka "Ralf Callenberg" has
deleted most of my biography of Larry Parr.

I just removed those unsourced parts (keywords: CIA training, rating,
banning)

He has been going around
deleting or modifying all of my biographies of chess players.

Indeed, I found some new thing to fill my sparetime here and there. I
just remove all your personal judgements, unproven claims, personal
promotions etc. where I find them. I always comment my changes.

He is
trying to have my biography of Tom Dorsch deleted altogether.

I just called for the vote. The decision will be made by others.

I need some help from the chess community.

It is very simple: explain why you disagree with my changes, and let's
settle this. That's how Wikipedia works. BTW: what kind of help do you
expect? Just being curious.

I cannot fight this battle myself.

Ah, don't overdramatize. A little correction here, a little deletion
there. That's no battle. The policies you should follow have been shown
to you several times by different people. As soon as you start following
them, you will be left in peace by me. Promised!

For starters please take a look at the Parr biography

Yes, good idea, that's something I can only support!

and make some
suggestions about what I can do about this vandal.

Well, after I am not a known chessplayer, now I am at least a known
vandal. Maybe I will be worth a wikipedia entry in no time!?

If I am really a vandal, you have to address Wikipedia, not your
impressive line of supporters in these newsgroups. If an administrator
comes to me, tells me to stop, as I am vandalizing, I will do so
immediately. Promised!

Greetings,
Ralf