Old December 20th 05, 04:13 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
The Masked Bishop

Default Finally let membership lapse...bye bye USCF

After close to 20 years of membership, I've let it go. The USCF has
sent several letters asking me to re-up, but not this time. I'm free at
last! No more paying for New Windsor incompetence. No more monthly crap
magazine. No more toadying to FIDE. No more, no more. Just another
long-standing adult member who has jumped ship, and who is now happily
swimming to shore.

I heartily recommend the rest of you follow suit. Only when the USCF
dies, only when the adult membership takes a collective powder, will US
Chess be able to pull itself together. For those of you who are
hopelessly addicted, watching your ratings plateau for the past decade
while robotically shelling out your fifty bucks a year to read
warmed-over Bruce Pandolfini columns and play Key Krackers, all I can
say is....sayonara, suckers.

TMB

Old December 20th 05, 04:52 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
samsloan

The Masked Bishop wrote:
After close to 20 years of membership, I've let it go. The USCF has
sent several letters asking me to re-up, but not this time. I'm free at
last! No more paying for New Windsor incompetence.

You seem to be out of touch. It is Crossville incompetence now.

It would be a disaster if we lost "The Masked Bishop" as a member. Tell
us your address, so that we can send you a renewal form.

Old December 20th 05, 05:02 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Randy Bauer

In article .com, The Masked
Bishop says...

After close to 20 years of membership, I've let it go. The USCF has
sent several letters asking me to re-up, but not this time. I'm free at
last! No more paying for New Windsor incompetence. No more monthly crap
magazine. No more toadying to FIDE. No more, no more. Just another
long-standing adult member who has jumped ship, and who is now happily
swimming to shore.

I heartily recommend the rest of you follow suit. Only when the USCF
dies, only when the adult membership takes a collective powder, will US
Chess be able to pull itself together. For those of you who are
hopelessly addicted, watching your ratings plateau for the past decade
while robotically shelling out your fifty bucks a year to read
warmed-over Bruce Pandolfini columns and play Key Krackers, all I can
say is....sayonara, suckers.

TMB

I suppose that opens up all sorts of speculation about who TMB is. We've
already had Sloan's preoccupation with the identity of the other Sam Sloan, some
sleuthing could probably figure out which 20 year USCF members are or recently
are lapsing.

Sorry to see you leave - if you'd ever like a nice game of chess, drop me a
line.

Randy Bauer

Old December 20th 05, 07:26 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Chess One

"The Masked Bishop" wrote in message
oups.com...
After close to 20 years of membership, I've let it go. The USCF has
sent several letters asking me to re-up, but not this time. I'm free at
last! No more paying for New Windsor incompetence. No more monthly crap
magazine. No more toadying to FIDE. No more, no more. Just another
long-standing adult member who has jumped ship, and who is now happily
swimming to shore.

I heartily recommend the rest of you follow suit. Only when the USCF
dies, only when the adult membership takes a collective powder, will US
Chess be able to pull itself together. For those of you who are
hopelessly addicted, watching your ratings plateau for the past decade
while robotically shelling out your fifty bucks a year to read
warmed-over Bruce Pandolfini columns and play Key Krackers, all I can
say is....sayonara, suckers.

Hi! My name is Phil and I'm here to conduct your exit interview.

a ) If you could have paid $20 fo CL, would you?
b ) If you could have paid $30/yr for unlimited rated chess, would you?
c ) Do you intend to continue to play rated chess?
d ) Will you subscribe to a different chess magazine?
e ) If there was one subject you wished to be subject to a binding
referendum by survey of the members, what would it be?
f ) What single change at USCF would have induced you to stay in the fold,
if any?
g ) You mention 3 specifics in your resignation letter. Please rank them
from 1-10, where 1 = terrible and 10 perfect.

i] cost of services to value received
ii ] integrity, ethics
iii] competency*

Cordially, The Masked Vermonter

* I had one question about this: did you mean competency to pursue the
Mission, which is to expand chess intot he mainstream, or did you mean
competency to administer basic services?

TMB

Old December 20th 05, 08:53 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

a) $20 for the magazine is too much. I only read 2 columns in the
entire magazine and they are not Bruce Pandolfini column and play Key
Krackers.

b) c) $30 for unlimited chess is too much since I hardly play OTB.

d) I subscribe to New In Chess, a real chess magazine with real
analysis by real GMs.

e) No more paying for New Windsor / Cross-to-Bear incompetence.

f) Too late now. Nothing will help.

g)

i] 3
ii] 0
iii] 3

Old December 21st 05, 12:32 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

I've been out for about two years or so. I'd join again if the Tampa
Bay Metro Chess District began to produce regular tournaments.

Haas

Old December 21st 05, 02:10 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

Concerning The Masked Bishop's decision not to
re-enlist:

I will rejoin the USCF tomorrow and write promos
for it when the organization definitively breaks with
drug testing. (My back dues these last few years
after I left the membership rolls will go to the U.S.
Chess Trust.)

In good conscience I cannot be a member of an
organization that gives aid and comfort to the social
control of drug testing. I could ultimately swallow
our support of Florencio Campomanes, and I even put up
with our embrace of Killer Kirsan. But then came the
game-playing by the Board and our despicable FIDE
"team" about drug-testing. I had it.

I wish I could be more active in the anti-drug
testing fight and do some needed organizational work,
but I am fairly snowed or monsooned under just now
with other writing and work. This load will lighten
soon enough, and the battle to convince others via
petition to promise to get out can begin in earnest.

I am convinced this battle can be won because I
think a strong petition soliciting the honor of
individuals to act will eventually cut a fair hole in
revenue. Why? Because a very large number of players
agree with the position -- some holding it very
strongly indeed and not realizing what Bill Kelleher. Jim
Eade and our FIDE "team" has done.

BILL GOICHBERG'S QUESTION

USCF President Bill Goichberg asked a question: how
can the USCF oppose drug testing to satisfy critics?
Part of the answer is to follow ADM-64, which is
actually the law of the Federation.

The whole answer is to post publicly at the USCF
website, at ChessBase, WCN and other sides, as well as
send a circular letter to all nations of FIDE and to
the FIDE president and office, an official statement
by the Executive Board, to be ratified by the
Delegates. THE POSITION OF THE FEDERATION MUST BE
CLEARLY STATED AND WIDELY DISTRIBUTED -- NOT KEPT A
SECRET AND FUDGED AT INTERNATIONAL MEETINGS.

That statement needs to include two points, but they
are points that the politicians will never accept
until finances force them:

1. The USCF, a FIDE member, does not accept the
FIDE Drug Code as APPLICABLE TO THE USCF; which means
the USCF will not accept any order from FIDE or its
associated organizations re drug testing and will not
enforce any order or judgment pertaining to any player
in the world. The statement must point out to FIDE
explicitly that the USCF as a FIDE member will not
adhere to FIDE drug regulations in any way, which may
mean violating them frequently.

2. There will be no mandatory drug testing in
any USCF financed or rated tournament.

Finally, the Delegates must past a supplementary
motion in addition to ADM-64 which our FIDE "team"
literally turned on its head. This motion must
instruct the "team" to campaign at every FIDE meeting
-- a "campaign" meaning holding public meetings and
distributing position papers and doing advance work
before the meetings -- to cease all drug testing, to
abolish the drug code and to disestablish the cancerous
FIDE medical commission.

Old December 21st 05, 07:07 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
Randy Bauer

In article . com,
says...

[...]

Larry Parr and I don't agree on a whole lot, but I agree with him on this topic.
I can understand how and why drugs like steriods in sports based on physical
activity can and should be banned and its participants can and should be tested.
Chess is not that sort of activity.

FIDE, which hasn't exactly shown itself to be a paragon of organizational
virtue, should work on cleaning up its own act before it invites itself in its
players' bathrooms.

Randy Bauer

Old December 21st 05, 09:46 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

I support Goichberg. What's his position?

Old January 1st 06, 05:43 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
The Masked Bishop

To rejoin the USCF? Not bloody likely, but the following might make me
reconsider:

1) Pull out of FIDE.
2) Run ratings as a pay-per-tournament service, not as an annual fee.
3) Retool Chess Life to focus on amateur play, not transplanted East
European semi-pros.

TMB