Old December 21st 05, 12:21 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.russian

Default Wikipedia Biography of David Goodman

David S. Goodman
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

David S. Goodman (b. February 25, 1958 in England) is an International
Master of chess. David Simon Charles Goodman was born on the 25th of
February 1958. Awarded the IM title in 1983, he was World Under-18
Champion in 1985. He is an AP reporter. He started his career as a
stringer reporting on international chess tournaments for AP. He is
perhaps the only chess news reporter who ever graduated to become a
real news reporter.

He is now a US citizen and lives in New York City.

Goodman became known as a real journalist for his discovery that
Soviet Premier Konstantin Chernenko was dead. In Moscow for a major
chess event, Goodman went early one morning to the Great Hall of the
People where the chess event was being played. Upon trying to enter
the building, he was told by the cleaning lady that the chess event
would not be played that day because an important person had died.
Goodman figured out that the only person so important that his death
would cause postponement of the chess event was Soviet Premier
Konstantin Chernenko.

Grandmaster Raymond Keene has often stated that anybody, regardless of
how low their IQ might be, can become an international master of
chess. As an example, Keene points out that he taught a "potato-head"
how to become an international chess master. That potato-head was his
brother-in-law, David Goodman.

Goodman is now relatively inactive in chess except that he coaches
some students. He is rated 2405 by FIDE.

Books

Maneuvers in Moscow: Karpov-Kasparov II (Macmillan Chess Library) by
Raymond Keene, David Goodman (Paperback - January 1986) ISBN
0020287208

The Centenary Match Kasparov-Karpov III by Raymond Keene, David
Goodman (Paperback - December 1986) ISBN 0020287003

Man Versus Machine: Kasparov Versus Deep Blue by David Goodman,
Raymond Keene (Paperback - May 1997) ISBN 1888281065

Showdown in Seville Kasparov-Karpov IV by Raymond Keene, David Goodman
(Paperback - October 2003) ISBN 1843821214

External links

* FIDE rating card for David S. Goodman

* US Tournament Record for David S. Goodman

* The Chess Games of David Goodman

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_S._Goodman"

Categories: 1958 births | British chess players | American chess
players | Chess players
Old December 21st 05, 08:41 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.russian

On 12/21/05, you wrote:

Is he still an AP reporter? He suffered a major disability
many years ago, and I wasn't aware he is back at work.

On this one I am sure. After 9/11, Raymond Keene contacted me saying
that Goodman had worked in the World Trade Center and since 9-11 his
family in England had not heard from him.

Keene asked me to call AP, which I did.

Goodman was very angry, screaming that Keene was no friend of his and
"how dare you call me".

So, at least on September 2001 he was still working for AP.

Since then, I have seen Goodman at a scholastic tournament at Borough
of Manhattan Community College with several of his chess students and
he appeared to be in good health.

Old December 22nd 05, 12:08 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.russian
Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj

Sam Sloan wrote:

On 12/21/05, you wrote:

Is he still an AP reporter? He suffered a major disability
many years ago, and I wasn't aware he is back at work.

On this one I am sure. After 9/11, Raymond Keene contacted me saying
that Goodman had worked in the World Trade Center and since 9-11 his
family in England had not heard from him.

Keene asked me to call AP, which I did.

Goodman was very angry, screaming that Keene was no friend of his and
"how dare you call me".

So, at least on September 2001 he was still working for AP.

Since then, I have seen Goodman at a scholastic tournament at Borough
of Manhattan Community College with several of his chess students and
he appeared to be in good health.

Sam Sloan

Has he called his mother?

Old December 22nd 05, 12:30 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.russian

No, but he called your mother.

Old December 22nd 05, 01:41 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.russian
Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj

Sam Sloan wrote:

No, but he called your mother.

Sam Sloan

May he also rest in peace.

Old December 22nd 05, 11:33 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.russian

Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj wrote:
Sam Sloan wrote:

No, but he called your mother.

Sam Sloan

May he also rest in peace.

Old December 22nd 05, 11:40 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.russian

Goodman is Uncle to Keene's son, Alexander, who is growing up to have
the same smile as his Uncle. His sister, Annette, is Keene's wife.
Although an early talent from the (UK) Sussex town of Brighton, Goodman
did not fulfil his early promise, coached during the Keene's courtship
as he sometimes was. He inherited a foundness for the ... a6
Pirc/Modern from his brother-in-law.