Old December 21st 05, 12:40 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
Zero

Default Winter Solstice and chess

Today is December 21st and it is the winter solstice. That means it is
the shortest day of the year. Now I will get 1-2 minutes of daylight
each day to play those bums and street players at Washington Square
Park in New York City. Maybe I can convince them to now give me an
extra 1-2 minutes on my clock.

I really hope I get bus service today. All those employees were on
strike and I had to walk to yesterday today in the freezing cold. Maybe
they all went to play chess somewhere.

Old December 21st 05, 09:53 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
Kong King

"Zero" wrote in message
oups.com...
Today is December 21st and it is the winter solstice.

No it's not.

That means it is
the shortest day of the year.

Nope.

Old December 22nd 05, 01:01 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

Zero wrote:

Today is December 21st and it is the winter solstice. That means it is
the shortest day of the year

Hello

I though all days have the same amount of seconds being the only
exception the last day of the year (or the first one in next year)
which has an aditional second.

Due to the influence of the moon earth is rotating slowly, did you
know?

AT

Old December 22nd 05, 02:01 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
David Ames

wrote:
Zero wrote:

Today is December 21st and it is the winter solstice. That means it is
the shortest day of the year

Hello

I though all days have the same amount of seconds being the only
exception the last day of the year (or the first one in next year)
which has an aditional second.

Due to the influence of the moon earth is rotating slowly, did you
know?

AT

In April, when we change from Standard Time to Daylight Time, one day
has only 23 hours.

The Leap Second is not guaranteed in any year. The time goes
officially from 23:59:59 to 23:59:60 and then back to 0:00:00.

David Ames

Old December 22nd 05, 02:18 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
Nick

Zero wrote:
Today is December 21st and it is the winter solstice.

The winter solstice in the northern hemisphere.

--Nick

Old December 22nd 05, 02:10 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

John Rowland wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Zero wrote:

Today is December 21st and it is the winter solstice.
That means it is the shortest day of the year

Hello

I though all days have the same amount of seconds
being the only exception the last day of the year
(or the first one in next year)
which has an aditional second.

The last minute in June or December can have 59, 60 or 61 seconds, but the
first minute in January can only have 60 seconds. The last minute of this
December will have 61 seconds - this will be the first leap second for
several years.

I think by day he means daylight hours, the solstice does indeed marks
the day with the shortest daylight hours.

Old December 22nd 05, 02:55 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
Antonio Torrecillas

En/na John Rowland ha escrit:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Zero wrote:

Today is December 21st and it is the winter solstice.
That means it is the shortest day of the year

Hello

I though all days have the same amount of seconds
being the only exception the last day of the year
(or the first one in next year)
which has an aditional second.

The last minute in June or December can have 59, 60 or 61 seconds, but the
first minute in January can only have 60 seconds. The last minute of this
December will have 61 seconds - this will be the first leap second for
several years.

Hello John, ...

But that depends on geografical situation (respect to GMT), there are
places where 2005 last day will have 61 sec and places where 2006 first
day will have an aditional second (as Spain).

Information in spanish
http://www.informativos.telecinco.es...s/dn_16732.htm

International Earth Rotation and Reference Systems Service (IERS) page
http://www.iers.org/

AT

Old December 26th 05, 02:03 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
samsloan

Is Winter really going to stop harassing us through his clones like
Taylor Kingston?

Old December 26th 05, 02:37 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

Am I going to stop harassing ChessCafe on behalf of the people who paid
me?