Old December 21st 05, 12:40 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
Zero

Default Winter Solstice and chess

Today is December 21st and it is the winter solstice. That means it is
the shortest day of the year. Now I will get 1-2 minutes of daylight
each day to play those bums and street players at Washington Square
Park in New York City. Maybe I can convince them to now give me an
extra 1-2 minutes on my clock.

I really hope I get bus service today. All those employees were on
strike and I had to walk to yesterday today in the freezing cold. Maybe
they all went to play chess somewhere.

Old December 21st 05, 12:44 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
Chess One

"Zero" wrote in message
ups.com...
Today is December 21st and it is the winter solstice. That means it is
the shortest day of the year. Now I will get 1-2 minutes of daylight
each day to play those bums and street players at Washington Square
Park in New York City. Maybe I can convince them to now give me an
extra 1-2 minutes on my clock.

I really hope I get bus service today. All those employees were on
strike and I had to walk to yesterday today in the freezing cold. Maybe
they all went to play chess somewhere.

hey! tell us how you do down there in the park - how many guys out hustling,
and who is playing them - assume its still a $5 drop per game

phil

Old December 21st 05, 11:47 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
Matt B.

"Chess One" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
"Zero" wrote in message
ups.com...
Today is December 21st and it is the winter solstice. That means it is
the shortest day of the year. Now I will get 1-2 minutes of daylight
each day to play those bums and street players at Washington Square
Park in New York City. Maybe I can convince them to now give me an
extra 1-2 minutes on my clock.

I really hope I get bus service today. All those employees were on
strike and I had to walk to yesterday today in the freezing cold. Maybe
they all went to play chess somewhere.

hey! tell us how you do down there in the park - how many guys out
hustling, and who is playing them - assume its still a $5 drop per game

What is the story behind all of those chess players in the park(s?) in NYC?
You see them in the movies and on TV a lot, but I don't know the reality, so
I'm curious.

Are there a lot of people making money by betting on chess? Is it a scam
(like Three Card Monte) or are they just good speed chess players?

Old December 22nd 05, 12:05 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

I'm the best chess player in any park. I'm a solid master.

Old December 22nd 05, 01:48 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
Ralf Callenberg

Matt B. wrote:

What is the story behind all of those chess players in the park(s?) in NYC?
You see them in the movies and on TV a lot, but I don't know the reality, so
I'm curious.

Several years ago, end of the 90s, I have been to NYC as a tourist for a
few days. On my last evening I was on top of the World Trade Center.
When I came down, it was about 10.30 pm. On the place in front of the
WTC I saw a goup of people, which have not been there two hours earlyer.
Immediately I recognized chess pieces despite the darkness (pattern
recognition...). I went over to have a closer look. There were boxes and
old stools - and chess boards. I sat down, we negotiated the price - $5
for the winner, 50 cents per game for the "boss" of the place. Next day
was my flight, my cash (not counting the money for the taxi to the
airport) was enough for such a game plus one last beer. So I played a
game. My Elo is slightly above 2100, so I am not a patzer, although not
too good in blitz, also I was a bit nervous. I was cleanly defeated,
lost a piece quite early, so I can not say too much about his strength,
but his style was cultivated, I didn't have the impression I lost to
somebody who had just luck. He was not overly friendly, but polite. More
money in the pocket, I would have asked for revanche. So I bid good bye
and had a last Amstel.

That was my experience with New Yorks chess scene.

Greetings,
Ralf

Old December 22nd 05, 01:05 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
Chess One

"Ralf Callenberg" wrote in message
Matt B. wrote:

What is the story behind all of those chess players in the park(s?) in
NYC? You see them in the movies and on TV a lot, but I don't know the
reality, so I'm curious.

Dear Matt B. Ralf says it pretty well with his message, I have added just a
note or two as emphasis.

Several years ago, end of the 90s, I have been to NYC as a tourist for a
few days. On my last evening I was on top of the World Trade Center. When
I came down, it was about 10.30 pm. On the place in front of the WTC I saw
a goup of people, which have not been there two hours earlyer. Immediately
I recognized chess pieces despite the darkness (pattern recognition...). I
went over to have a closer look. There were boxes and old stools - and
chess boards. I sat down, we negotiated the price - $5 for the winner, 50
cents per game for the "boss" of the place.

That's a typical bet against an 'unknown' - you note the hustler is careful
about the initial bet and 'getting rooked' and with cause, since Ralf is
2100 rated. Against easier competition the hustler can up the ante, by
saying 'double or quits' for a few games. Might even let you get close )

Next day was my flight, my cash (not counting the money for the taxi to
the airport) was enough for such a game plus one last beer. So I played a
game. My Elo is slightly above 2100, so I am not a patzer, although not
too good in blitz, also I was a bit nervous. I was cleanly defeated, lost
a piece quite early, so I can not say too much about his strength, but his
style was cultivated, I didn't have the impression I lost to somebody who
had just luck. He was not overly friendly, but polite. More money in the
pocket, I would have asked for revanche. So I bid good bye and had a last
Amstel.

That was my experience with New Yorks chess scene.

I doubt that his opponent was stronger than Ralf. But playing blitz in the
park is a different game to regular chess, and the goal is to strategise to
win on time which is another skill-set entirely.

Cordially, Phil

Greetings,
Ralf

Old December 22nd 05, 03:56 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
gnohmon

Sam Sloan wrote:
I'm the best chess player in any park. I'm a solid master.

Sam, you know that's not true. Asa is the best.

Old December 22nd 05, 06:22 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
Ian Burton

"gnohmon" wrote in message
ups.com...

Sam Sloan wrote:
I'm the best chess player in any park. I'm a solid master.

Sam, you know that's not true. Asa is the best.

Asa's mighty good, but I think he used to lose to Roman.

--
Ian Burton
(Please reply to the Newsgroup)

Old December 22nd 05, 06:25 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
Ian Burton

Matt B. wrote:

[...]

Your experience would be fairly typical. It's not a three-card monte scam.

Old December 29th 05, 12:24 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics
Matt B.

news:[email protected]
Matt B. wrote:
What is the story behind all of those chess players in the park(s?) in
NYC? You see them in the movies and on TV a lot, but I don't know the
reality, so I'm curious.

That was my experience with New Yorks chess scene.

I doubt that his opponent was stronger than Ralf. But playing blitz in the
park is a different game to regular chess, and the goal is to strategise
to win on time which is another skill-set entirely.

Cool info and stories. Thanks.