Old December 27th 05, 11:27 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,soc.culture.russian,alt.chess

Default Hanon Russell Biography by Sam Sloan

Hanon Russell
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

This article documents a current event.
Information may change rapidly as the event progresses.

Hanon Russell is a lawyer, chess expert, chess book author,
translator, online chess magazine publisher and chess book store
operator. He maintains his office in Milford, Connecticut.

Mr. Russell has been translating Russian chess literature for four
decades, has had in the past a master's rating, collects chess
memorabilia, and practiced law in Connecticut. Hanon Russell first
became known during the Soviet era for translating Russian Language
documents into English. He enjoyed exceptional access to Soviet
materials.

Hanon Russell has been for many years involved with the United States
Chess Federation. For example, he represented the USCF in 1996 in
parts of the Stan Vaughan Litigation in Nevada.

Hanon Russell is currently involved in a major dispute within the
USCF. The origins of the dispute are that from 1996 to 1999, the USCF
consistently had revenues of $3.5 million in chess books and equipment
sales. However, a new board was elected in 1999, the Tim Redman Gang,
and the Gang fired Executive Director Mike Cavallo and replaced him
with George DeFeis. The Gang decided to gut the books and equipment
business. Sales plummeted, dropping from $3.5 million to $1.8 million
in just one year.

A new election was held in 2001 and the Redman Gang was voted out of
office

A new group took power and decided to reinstate the books and
equipment business. Sales rose to $2.8 million.

Another election was held in 2003. Beatriz Marinello took power and
her group decided "to get rid of the books and equipment business".

After much squabbling and infighting, the Board made a deal to give
the books and equipment business to Hanon Russell. He agreed to pay
13.5% of sales at first, then increasing to 15% after a certain sales
level is hit, subject to a $350,000 minimum.

At the annual meeting of the United States Chess Federation on August
14, 2005, in Phoenix, Arizona, it was revealed that Hanon Russell had
only paid $180,000 of the amount required for the first year of the
deal and he apparently had no intention of paying the balance he owed
of $170,000.

The current situation is that Hanon Russell is demanding forgiveness
of the debt and a much better deal guaranteed to 2012.

At the moment, two board members, Bill Goichberg and Beatriz
Marinello, are known to favor the proposed deal, Don Schultz and Joel
Channing are known to be opposed to the deal, and the views of the
remaining two board members, Robert Tanner and Gerg Shahade, are
unknown.

Tune in next week for the latest news on this developing story.

Books

* Russian for Chess Players ISBN 0938650440
* A chessplayer's guide to Russian
* Correspondence chess by Hanon Russell

External links

* Books by Russell Enterprises
* ChessCafe Website
* US Tournament Record for Hanon Russell
* The Chess Game of Hanon Russell
* Usenet group rec.games.chess.politics

This chess-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia
by expanding it.
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanon_Russell"

Categories: Current events | American chess players | Chess players |
Chess stubs
Old December 27th 05, 11:57 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,soc.culture.russian,alt.chess

This article is full of crap. I'm not afraid of being sued by Russell
because I have jack ****.

Old December 28th 05, 02:58 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,soc.culture.russian,alt.chess
Mr. X

Are you violating copyright on this too?

Old December 28th 05, 04:40 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,soc.culture.russian,alt.chess

Taylor Kingston has posted the following to Wikipedia:

*
+ Readers are cautioned that the article below is
highly inaccurate, and written by a person who is far from objective
about this subject. Frankly, it seriously damages Wikipedia's
credibility that it should be here at all. -- Taylor Kingston, 27
December 2005 ***

However, I doubt this will work and I would not be surprised if it is
deleted by an administrator.

The rules of Wikipedia are clear. If you find a mistake in an article,
you correct it. Taylor Kingston cannot find any mistakes in my article
so he does the same thing he did unsuccessfully with the Whitaker
article, which is attack me for writing it.

Old December 28th 05, 04:45 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,soc.culture.russian,alt.chess

Of course but why should I care? I have nothing so they can't sue me.