Old January 7th 06, 11:27 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Stan Shankman

Default Fischer Random chess does not have to be entirely random . . .

Fischer Random chess does not have to be entirely random.

If two players wish to play Fischer Random chess, one way to setup the board
could be as follows:

Each player assembles his eight major pieces in a pile, and then turns are
taken to place them. (Since white makes the first move, I think black should
place the first piece.) Of course, upon whatever file a chessman is placed,
the opposing player is obligated to place his corresponding piece on that
same file. The order of planting should go - Bishop, Bishop, Queen, Knight,
and Knight. When the second Bishop is planted, it must be placed on a square
of opposite color to the one already standing. Once those all of those
chessmen are planted three squares will be empty on each side of the board.
And all that need be done is place the King in the center square, and the
two Rooks on the remaining two squares.

Now, setup the pawns, and let the game begin!

This seems to me to be a very reasonable way for coffee shop players to
setup a casual random game. But I understand that it is no substitute for a
true random placement that one would expect at a Fischer Random tournament.

What do you guys think? Is this a good idea? Or what?

- Stan Shankman

Old January 8th 06, 09:49 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
FiFiela

A related question:

Are there any positions in Fischer Random chess which are believed to
increase or decrease white's opening advantage?

Old January 9th 06, 05:50 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

No. It's a crappy idea. Give it up you ******! I'll tell Bobby you're
****ing around with his invention.

Old January 9th 06, 08:50 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Stan Shankman

FiFiela,

Well that's a good question. Some enterprising individual could program a
computer to run thorough all of the possible Random Fischer setup positions,
and search for a disproportionate number of wins for one side over the other
(a statistical analysis). But, even if certain opening setups did have
advantage for one side over the other, it would still not be possible for
any one player to entirely steer a setup to his advantage. It would require
the cooperation of both players in order to setup any particular starting
position. Also, were it to be demonstrated that indeed certain Random
Fischer setup positions had built-in bias, I bet the rules would be changed
to eliminate that particular starting position from use.

- Stan Shankman

oups.com...

Old January 9th 06, 08:58 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Ray Gordon

Well that's a good question. Some enterprising individual could program a
computer to run thorough all of the possible Random Fischer setup
positions,
and search for a disproportionate number of wins for one side over the
other
(a statistical analysis). But, even if certain opening setups did have
advantage for one side over the other, it would still not be possible for
any one player to entirely steer a setup to his advantage. It would
require
the cooperation of both players in order to setup any particular starting
position. Also, were it to be demonstrated that indeed certain Random
Fischer setup positions had built-in bias, I bet the rules would be
changed
to eliminate that particular starting position from use.

That's after the 100 years of theoretical debate on whether or not White or
Black is winning, in the area that computers are by far the weakest.

Chess computers are like racehorses that break a length slow from the gate.

Old January 13th 06, 01:54 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Inconnux

That's after the 100 years of theoretical debate on whether or not White or
Black is winning, in the area that computers are by far the weakest.

but it would stop your idiotic memory 1min chess.... you would actually
have to think about your moves

Old January 18th 06, 06:44 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Stan Shankman

Default Fischer Random chess does not have to be entirely random . . . (a link)

http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=83742006

A link for you all