Old January 11th 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

Default Goichberg's ChessCafe Report

BOOK AND EQUIPMENT OUTSOURCING REPORT

A recent update on the USCF Governance page: Executive Board Statement
Regarding Book and Equipment Re-Negotiations with ChessCafe.

http://www.uschess.org/ebstatementre...gotiations.php

Bill Goichberg's statement is opaque at key points.

What month, precisely, did Chesscafe cease to
make payments? Or, put in another way, what was the
final month in which payments were made before they
were suspended?

How many months did the suspension last? Or,
put in another way, in which month did ChessCafe
resume making payments?

We are told that for the first year of the
contract, Hanon Russell submitted payments of $177,000
or just over 50 percent of his contracted amount,
leaving a debt of $173,000.

To this amount of $173,000 must be added the
obligations of the suspended payments. What precisely
is this amount?

Does the final settlement figure of about
$87,000 apply to the outstanding $173,000 or to this
amount PLUS all of the additional debt built up during
the deeply unethical suspension of payments?

So, then, we need to know how much is owed from
the period of suspended payments. We need to know
just how much has been "forgiven" to Hanon Russell.

That needs to be made clear. If there cannot
be a clear listing as outlined above, you know there
is still more dirt being hidden.

The statement by Bill Goichberg remains unclear
on just how the debt to the USCF has been calculated.
My guess is that Hanon Russell has had about
two-thirds of his debt to the Federation forgiven,
plus a handsome improvement in sales conditions.

Anyone who saw the utterly dead advertising put
out by the Cafe will understand why the sales program
collapsed so quickly under the Russell regime.

If one has any advice to give the man at this
point, it would be: Stop being a wooden-headed
nincompoop. Add life and movement to your ads.
Your market is not this writer or those who write
histories. Your market is those who want to get
better at the game either for private goals or for the
purpose of improving tournament performances.

Two-thirds of the debt forgiven? It's SWEET if
you are among the insiders.

Old January 11th 06, 03:50 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

According to my reliable sources, the USCF got a great deal under the
circumstances. The USCF misrepresented the numbers to ChessCafe when
negotiation was originally done. Another word, someone from the EB lied
big time and was caught red handed. ChessCafe was prepared to exposed
the lies in court. That's why everyone is hush hush.

Sam "the reliable spy" Sloan

Old January 11th 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
Mike Nolan

" writes:

We are told that for the first year of the
contract, Hanon Russell submitted payments of $177,000
or just over 50 percent of his contracted amount,
leaving a debt of $173,000.

To this amount of $173,000 must be added the
obligations of the suspended payments. What precisely
is this amount?

Larry, I think you're double-counting here. Unless the total of the
payments due under the sliding percentage scale exceeded the minimum
amount due for the year, there is no reason that any payments not made
should be added to that minimum amount due.
--
Mike Nolan

Old January 11th 06, 07:05 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
chessdon

Larry Parr asked: "How much debt of Chess Cafe did USCF forgive?

I posted the answer to this question on the USCF forum. Go to the USCF
web site and sign on the USCF forum.

Our intent is to build up usage of the USCF Forum. I believe the forum
will however not accept anonymous postings nor vile language but
everything else should be fair game.

I also expect that Board members will participate in the discussions.

Don Schultz

Old January 11th 06, 08:21 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

Somebody is lying! Liar, liar, your dick is on fire!

Old January 12th 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

GOICHBERG MUST MAKE HIMSELF CLEAR

I am not a USCF member right now, and I cannnot
access the USCF Forum, which I assume is for the
membership. I also think that it is Bill Goichberg's
duty as Federation president to make his rehearsal of
the numbers absolutely clear, which he has not done.
Don Schultz's numbers may be correct, but they can
also be disavowed later by the Board leadership. The
man in authority, Mr. Goichberg, needs to make himself
clear. No one else should do it for him.

Mike Nolan makes a point that I do not
understand -- at least as he wrote it. From the first
year of the contract, we seem agreed that Hanon
Russell owed $173,000 to the Federation. We are told
that for months following, no payments were made to
the Federation BEFORE the new contract was signed. My
understanding is that these months come under the old
contract to which both parties were still bound. I
understand the possible game being played he Mr.
Russell owed the Federation $173,000 and no more
because, perhaps, the Board passed a resolution
placing the intervening months retroactively under the
new contract. That kind of political maneuver does
not erase debt; it merely excuses financial turpitude.

I want to have an accounting month by month from
April onwards and want to know just how much debt has
been forgiven. Just how SWEET is this deal among the insiders?

I am happy to hear that the USCF Forum will not
accept anonymous posters and messages employing
four-letter language. One guesses, then, Randy Bauer
is NOT repeating his junk on that Forum. One guesses
that Bill Brock is not discussing kiddie f-ing on that
Forum. Well, fine and good.

The problem is that this writer cuts too deeply
and would not last long in Nolanland, though I post
under my name and do not employ vile language. My
first subjects would be Bill Hall and food additives,
along with the questions I would have asked Gorbachev
at the get-together that made the cover of Chess Life.
For those interested in the subject, check out a long
article of mine that appeared in Kontinent several
years back ("Wird Gorbatschow als Lenin immer mit uns sein?").

Old January 12th 06, 02:04 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
Say No To g4

wrote in message oups.com...

I am happy to hear that the USCF Forum will not
accept anonymous posters and messages employing
four-letter language. One guesses, then, Randy Bauer
is NOT repeating his junk on that Forum. One guesses
that Bill Brock is not discussing kiddie f-ing on that
Forum. Well, fine and good.

You omitted "And neither will the USCF Forum accept Scam Sloan's
Wikipedia biogs of non-chess players, or his sex life, or GO, or why
he continuously gets kicked off election ballots, followed by his frivolous
lawsuits and diatribes against the people who disqualified him, or other
frivolous lawsuits, or kidnappings, or other rants and raves, etc, etc etc."

Old January 12th 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
Mike Nolan

" writes:

GOICHBERG MUST MAKE HIMSELF CLEAR

Mike Nolan makes a point that I do not
understand -- at least as he wrote it. From the first
year of the contract, we seem agreed that Hanon
Russell owed $173,000 to the Federation. We are told
that for months following, no payments were made to
the Federation BEFORE the new contract was signed. My
understanding is that these months come under the old
contract to which both parties were still bound.

Not if payments under the new contract were retroactive to April 1st,
which would have otherwise been the beginning of year 2 under the old
contract. A new contract can override the terms of the old contract for
year 1, too.

You don't have to like the terms of the new contract, but you do have
to acknowledge them.
--
Mike Nolan
Old January 12th 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
Mike Nolan

" writes:

I am not a USCF member right now, and I cannnot
access the USCF Forum, which I assume is for the
membership.

I don't know of any reason why you cannot access it, Larry.
The URL is http://www.uschess.org/forums.

The Forums do not require (or even ask about) USCF membership.

You don't have to register to read the posts there, you do have to
register to have posting privileges, and that requires providing a
valid e-mail address and responding to an authentication message.
--
Mike Nolan
Old January 12th 06, 09:04 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

TERMS OF NEW CONTRACT

Mike Nolan corrects me. Apparently, one can
post at the USCF forum and read the messages.

Now, then, Mr. Nolan says that one may not like
the terms of a contract -- the new one between Hanon
Russell and the Executive Board -- but one has to
acknowledge it. Well, I certainly do.

Still, I repeat that the Goichberg report
remains opaque on the point of just how much moolah
(under the original terms) Hanon Russell owed the
Federation and how much moolah has been forgiven.

If there is not a lot more dirt being hidden, I
can't see why one cannot make the situation crystal clear.

Under the first contract, Mr. Russell owed
$350,000 minimum for the year. He paid $177,000,
thereby owing $173,000. At which point he quit making
payments to the Federation. From what Mr. Nolan
writes, it appears that the last monthly payment
made by Mr. Russell was for March 2005. He made no
payments in April, May, June, July up to ... well,
this we do not know.

UNDER THE TERMS OF THE INITIAL CONTRACT WITH
WHICH MR. RUSSELL WON THE BID, HOW MUCH DID HE END UP
OWING THE USCF? Once we have this number (with a
month by month breakdown), we can subtract the sum he
paid of $86,500, to obtain the amount of money that
Mr. Russell has been forgiven by the Federation officers.

I readily acknowledge that the deed has been
done. I just want to know the full extent of the
deed. I can see no valid reason for not providing a
crystal clear breakdown of what Mr. Russell owed and
what has been forgiven. If such an accounting cannot
be given, then we may conclude that there is dirt.

To my mind, the only person to provide an
accounting that permits no later deniability is Bill
Goichberg, as not only the USCF president but also as
the man who presented a public report on the subject.