Old January 17th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
irvin

Default Open Message to Joel Channing

Let me first point out that I truly appreciate Joel taking time to address
questions in this newsgroup. That's a very good thing for everyone and goes
a long way toward bringing much-needed transparency to the USCF's
operations.

That said, I hope my message/question gets a clear answer. So, here it is:

I has been mentioned several times by different people (including you,
Joel), that the USCF's website is getting some sort of overhaul. I have read
somewhere else that certain people were involved in this process (won't name
the people, because it is not confirmed, but will provide name and source if
you publicly request it).

I would like to know which firm or persons have been given the task of
re-doing the site and how they were chosen.

Why?

Because it is not an easy task to create a site that will scale as needed
and when needed and programming is an area where previous experience and
knowledge are truly necessary to avoid debacles like the now infamous
"software deal" of previous years.

An additional bonus is that by making the firm/person's name public we can
check their credentials in terms of having done similar work for other
clients, along with the quality of their work. It could make a huge
difference for the USCF in terms of money and time saved.

Thank you!

--
Irvin

Old January 17th 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Thank you for you kind comments, Irvin.

I plan to be involved with the team working on the new magazine and web
site, not because I know so much about either, but because they
represent exciting steps taken in new directions for USCF, and I want
to be a part of it. Hopefully, after our strategic planning retreat in
May, we'll be following up with more good ideas. A somewhat slow but
deliberate process, kind of like an aircraft carrier changing course.
I intend to do what little I can to see that everything gets
accomplished well and transparently.

Joel Channing

Old January 17th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
irvin

Thanks, Joel

I'm afraid you completely ignored my question: who's the firm doing the work
and how was it chosen?

I will not insist if I don't get a straight answer (I like to post in a
constructive manner and will never hound USCF officers for information -
nobody benefits from it), but I think -and you probably agree - that this
type of transparency is very helpful in preventing costly blunders like the
now infamous "software upgrade" of previous years.

Your decision.

--
Irvin

ups.com...

Old January 17th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Say No To g4

Let me first point out that I truly appreciate Joel taking time to address
questions in this newsgroup. That's a very good thing for everyone and goes
a long way toward bringing much-needed transparency to the USCF's
operations.

I too fully appreciate Joel taking time to address questions in this
newsgroup.

Late in 2005, this newsgroup was dead. So I stirred things up by on
Jan 2 by asking questions about the USCF. That brought back Parr,
who was busy with his book, and his antagonists (miraculously, I didn't
bring back Sam Sloan.)

At first I believed that Joel and the rest of the board were clamping down,
keeping USCF news out of cgp. But sure looks like I was mistaken, which
I do not mind in this particular case. And thus, I take back that comment I
made earlier about the 3-sided wooden ruler.

I am happy to see board and committee members (especially Joel) openly
discuss issues. That's good for us - and good for the USCF.

Old January 17th 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
irvin

I agree, SayNo.

--
Irvin
-------------------------

Old January 18th 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Irvin,

I didn't respond sooner because I wanted to check my understanding with
a couple of the other board members. We've hired a consultant named
Paul Hoffman, formerly CEO of Encyclopedia Britannica, editor of
Scientific American and editor of Discover Magazine, to advise us in
the process of modernizing our magazine and web site. You probably
know we've also hired as our new editor Dan Lucas, formerly editor of
Georgia Chess. I spoke to Paul Hoffman yesterday and he said that
he'll be ready to get together with us very soon so we can move
forward. Otherwise I'm pretty sure we've hired no one else. I intend
to be involved in the process. I'll be sure that we check
qualifications of anyone or any subcontractor we employ.

Joel Channing

Old January 18th 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
irvin

Joel,

I want to publicly thank you, once again!, for your open-doors policy.

Your willingness to discuss these matters has to be respected and welcomed.
I will leave you alone for a while now that my main questions have been
satisfactorily answered. As a rated master and former member of the USCF, I
look forward to your involvement with great optimism.

Hey, I might renew my membership in support of the work of the new board
:-)

Sincerely,

--
Irvin
-------------------------

oups.com...

Old January 18th 06, 01:38 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Irvin,

You must rejoin.

Joel

Old January 18th 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Paul Rubin

writes:
I didn't respond sooner because I wanted to check my understanding with
a couple of the other board members. We've hired a consultant named
Paul Hoffman, formerly CEO of Encyclopedia Britannica, editor of
Scientific American and editor of Discover Magazine, to advise us in
the process of modernizing our magazine and web site. You probably
know we've also hired as our new editor Dan Lucas, formerly editor of
Georgia Chess.

I do not think the USCF has the resources to develop a high-dollar
magazine or web site like Scientific American's or Discover's, and
even if it had the resources, it should spend them on something
different. Therefore the former CEO of those organizations might not
be the best person to get advice from. Georgia Chess is closer to the
right model than Discover. Also, "Irvin"'s concerns about web site
scalability are legitimate, but the USCF should understand that its
web site will never be a monster site (meaning something like Ebay or
Google) and its actual requirements should be fairly modest 99.9% of
the time. Special situations like the Kasparov vs Deep Blue match can
be handled specially with a bit of advance planning.

Unnecessary obsession with scalability was the cause of much
overspending (and consequent business failure) by web companies during
the dotcom era who expected to be the next Yahoo. I know that because
"I are one" and saw it happen over and over. Make the site look nice,
keep expenditures low, have realistic expectations, and don't spend
ANY money (read that: ZERO dollars) licensing fancy server-side web
software. The stuff you need is all available for free and will save
you not only from immediate cash outlay, but also from having another
set of vendors with their hands in your pants for the rest of your life.
Old January 18th 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
[email protected]

Paul,

What's your background?

Joel