Old January 18th 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Default Larry Parr Should Rejoin USCF - Discuss Amongst Yourselves

Larry Parr should rejoin USCF - discuss amongst yourselves.

Old January 18th 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Paul Rubin

writes:
Larry Parr should rejoin USCF - discuss amongst yourselves.

I'm against it.
Old January 19th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
[email protected]

Paul,

Honest, brutally so, but incorrect: C

Joel

Old January 19th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
[email protected]

I'm disappointed in you guys. Whatever you may think of Larry, he is
our most literate and entertaining writer. Doesn't that count for
something?

Joel

Old January 19th 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
[email protected]

Taylor,

I meant in this forum.

Joel

Old January 19th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Taylor Kingston

wrote:
I'm disappointed in you guys. Whatever you may think of Larry, he is
our most literate and entertaining writer. Doesn't that count for
something?

wrote:
Taylor,
I meant in this forum.

Joel, you surprise me. You consider a regular stream of insults,
fabrications, misquotations, misrepresentation, double-standards, etc.
"literate and entertaining"? Well, "De gustibus non est disputandum."

Old January 19th 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
[email protected]

wrote:
I'm disappointed in you guys. Whatever you may think of Larry, he is
our most literate and entertaining writer. Doesn't that count for
something?

Joel

Joel,

What would you have it count for? At what point do you acknowledge
that chocolate dipped in pepper sauce still stings, regardless of its
sweetness?

Larry used to be closer to what you describe, a literate (overly :-)
and entertaining writer. Sure he was given to flowery prose and
unusual word assemblages but by and large, he was at least
honorable in his arguing techniques, although often stretching the
boundaries. Sometime recently though, he has deteriorated
noticeably, at least to most besides himself. A couple of times I've
asked him to consider the negative impact to his name, honor and
reputation that his current writings bring but it's had little impact.
He has become almost a parody of himself, lying, distorting, smearing--
basically becoming a master in all the things for which he attacks
others. It's sad. It's unnecessary. He has theability to be so much
more. He looks at posting on this forum as fun, apparently
willing to sacrifice his reputation for a few yucks.

We have endured some tough personalities on this forum, from
Bachler to Sloan to others still around (unfortunately, including
Sloan) so it has a bigger impact when someone goes as sour as
Larry has. Independent of the transition, though, do you really think
that his style counts for much of anything compared to the
dishonorable way he debates and avoids responsibility for his words?
Perhaps he receives the treatment he does because others value
substance over appearance.

PS To the group in general: As much as the fake sam sloan
disrupted this group, hasn't it been nice to not be flooded by
lawsuits and dance reviews, now that the real sloan has backed
off? I think this accomplishment should be recognized, positively.

Old January 19th 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
[email protected]

Dear Taylor and klg,

What can I say? I like satire. I appreciate literacy and style.
Larry is like a modern day Alexander Pope. If, predicated on minimal
moderating, I can help get this forum relocated under the USCF
umbrella, I think the absence of anonomyous, flaming, pornographic and
schizophrenic posters will improve the tenor of the colloquy and
Larry's contributions will rise to the occasion.

Joel Channing