Old January 18th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Default If USCF Were a Country It Would . . . . Discuss Amongst Yourselves.

If USCF were a country it would . . . . Discuss amoungst yourselves.

Old January 19th 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

But, the USCF is not a country. What is the merit in discussing the
USCF as such?

Haas

Old January 19th 06, 03:57 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Lighten up Haasie. Nevertheless, you get a C+.

Joel

Old January 19th 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Joel, what is needed is a chess federation that is somewhat like
Mensa in its structure.
1) A metro scaled geography in most cases;
2) Umbrella Metro District orgs in those areas;
3) Automatic funding of the Metro umbrella so as to capitalize the
basic market for organized chess;

Mensa, for example, operates 12 metro scaled chapters in Florida,
funding each one with a fairly large share of their $49 national dues.
Imagine Mensa suddenly becoming exclusively a national chess
federation. Florida would have 12 fully funded chess producing area
organizations.
Fantastic idea for chess.

RSHaas

Old January 19th 06, 12:52 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

But have you ever been to a Mensa meeting?

My experience led me to conclude that innate ability is no basis for
association. Shared interests and experiences build much stronger
bonds.

Nevertheless, thought provoking content: A-

Joel

Old January 19th 06, 12:56 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

I'm sorry Haasie (may I call you that?),

I forgot that your message was about structure. I didn't stick around
long enough to learn about their structure. BTW, what societal good do
they actually pursue or promote?

Joel

Old January 19th 06, 02:57 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Chess Freak

Oddly enough, the country that comes to mind is Vatican City.
It's small, has no permanent residents, and is the spiritual center
for US Chess.

- CF

Old January 19th 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Dear CF,

Yes! Allusions, that's what I want. A+!

Joel

Old January 19th 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

"I forgot that your message was about structure. " (Joel C)
=================
Yes, structure. What Mensa stands for is not important as far as
chess is concerned -- unless they suddenly stood for chess exclusively.
In that theoretical case, Mensa would make a fine chess federation,
much better than the USCF.
The essential points to my enthusiasm for the Mensa model for chess
a 1) Automatic sharing of the national dues with 2) chess producing
umbrella orgs at the metro scale in most cases. The metro scale is the
basic market for organized chess so that is the scale that should be
capitalized, not the states unless there is no alternative in some
places. In other words, Joel, the Mensa model is designed to
capitalized organized chess at the basic market level for organized
chess.
I figure $10 per adult and $5 per junior all tossed into a single
Metro District account would be enough to actually run a decent
schedule of events in most metro areas. Maybe the Miami-Ft.Lauderdale
USCF Metro District would get $5000 to $6000 to back tournaments and/or
other worthwile chess events. Then you'd have the Tampa Bay USCF Metro
District, another one in Orlando, and a smaller one up in Jacksonville.
Eventually other areas would carve out and emerge in Florida such as
one for the Panhandle serving Pensacola to Tallahassee, etc., and
southwest Fla Bradenton Sarasota Ft.Myers Naples etc in one District.
By funding the basic market, you'd have a chess federation that could
actually reach down and get stuff done in the basic market. All you
have now is a chess federation that sucks working capital out of the
basic market and blows it all at the Chess HQ level. Bad, bad, bad.

RSHaas

Old January 20th 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Eo

I would think the USCF is like the old Soviet Style Kremlin of the USSR

Meetings are secret
Decisions are Secret
Minutes aren't up to date
Budget's aren't presented in an accurate manner
Private Investigators like the KGB hired to investigate GMs
Same Leaders comeback to bite decade after decade, failure after
failure
Delagates are handfed the Standard Ideological fare.
Blacklisting Members like Bobby Fischer sort of like making them
disappeared
Vote to Ban Journalists Like Ricardo Calvo at FIDE meetings.
An intense interest in the Pharmaceutical biology of chess players