Old January 20th 06, 07:03 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
arodobop

Default Why should anyone???....discuss amongst yourselves

.....why should anyone join the USCF? What are the benefits aside from
rated otb play? Speak up members, board members.

Old January 21st 06, 08:00 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Most likely the only way I'd rejoin for $49 would be to participate
in one or more local or nearby tournaments, such as those that would be
produced by a Tampa Bay USCF Metro District umbrella organization
funded by a $10 per adult share of the USCF's national dues....
Unfortunately, we don't have a fully funded Tampa Bay USCF Metro
District umbrella. Too many influential people think that sort of
thing is a bad idea. They'd rather support the status quo wherein I
should wait another 25 fruitless years before Tampa develops a decent
system of open tournaments.

R S Haas

Old January 21st 06, 09:00 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Jerzy

....why should anyone join the USCF? What are the benefits aside from
rated otb play? Speak up members, board members.

I`d like to hear their opinions as well. What`s so attractive in being a
member of the USCF ?

Old January 22nd 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
arodobop

Thanks for replying RSHaas and Jerzy. Perhaps others such as Mr.
Channing and Mr. Bauer will reply.

Old January 22nd 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Paul Rubin

"arodobop" writes:
....why should anyone join the USCF? What are the benefits aside from
rated otb play? Speak up members, board members.

Rated otb play is the main benefit for the average player. Nothing is
wrong with that. The USCF simply charges too much for membership for
it to be an attractive proposition to many.

Old January 22nd 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
arodobop

Paul Rubin wrote:
'Rated otb play is the main benefit for the average player. Nothing is
wrong with that.'

I agree.

'The USCF simply charges too much for membership for it to be an
attractive proposition to many.'

I also agree. And yet with the passion displayed here from some members
and board members, one tends to think there's gotta be something else.
I'm curious as to what it is. Perhaps a board member or former board
member will chime in with their opinions.

Thanks for the reply.

arod

Old January 22nd 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Paul Rubin

"arodobop" writes:
'The USCF simply charges too much for membership for it to be an
attractive proposition to many.'

I also agree. And yet with the passion displayed here from some members
and board members, one tends to think there's gotta be something else.
I'm curious as to what it is. Perhaps a board member or former board
member will chime in with their opinions.

Despite its high-sounding mission statements and pretenses of being a
membership organization, the USCF in practice is mostly a service
organization for TD's, sort of a trade association. That's reflected
in the composition of the board, the delegates, and the voting members
in the pre-OMOV era. So the USCF's main constituents are organizers,
but its main source of funding is dues from players. That should
explain why the board is enthusiastic while players generally are not.
They come from differing interest groups.

There is a subset of players who go to "world series of poker" style
chess events, involving big investments of time, travel expenses, and
entry fees. USCF dues to them are no big deal compared to their other
chess expenditures, so they are enthusiastic too, and since they're
the most visible players, we hear the most from them. But the typical
patzer who only plays in inexpensive local events has long since quit
the USCF. That's what the USCF has to address if it wants to reform.
Old January 23rd 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

To Arod, Paul and anyone else who's interested:

Please give me more input on this subject. We're going to have a
strategic planning session in May in order to try to create a coherent
5 year plan for the promotion of chess in the US. Your posts have
reminded me that doing more isn't automatically where we should be
focused. It might even be that we should be doing less and doing it
better. I mean, based on your postings, the average player isn't
benefitting enough to justify all the energy, money and organization.
One outcome might possibly be that we withdraw into the area of our
core competency and focus on being the best and most credible at
ratings, rules, ethics, sanctioning, etc. Somehow, having a little
familiarity with other sports organizations, I don't expect that this
is where we'll end up, but I'd like to hear as much as possible on this
before May.

I'm looking forward to hearing more from you.

Joel Channing

Old January 23rd 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
irvin

I agree.

--
Irvin

Old January 23rd 06, 12:18 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Joel, if the USCF aims to "do less, but do it bettter," then it can
think about cutting the $49 dues to a much lower figure. The cost of
membership should be merely incidental to playing local rated chess.
On the oter hand, if the dues remain at $49, we should demand from the
Board something new that will enhance and enrich our chess experience.
The best way to enhance and enrich our chess experience would be the
Mensa model as it would apply to chess.

R S Haas