Old February 9th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Ambassador

Default USCF will not work with others in FIDE - even their own life members!

St Kitts and Nevis is applying for FIDE membership this year. We are a
new FIDE member, and were warmly welcomed by our Caribbean neighbors.
As a life USCF member, former Delegate, I thought that it would be
constructive to try to understand USCF Policy in FIDE. After all, USCF
pays a lot of money to send people. So, I naively thought I would work
with the Americans. This year is a FIDE Presidential Election, so it is
quite important.

Not one single piece of paper was shared with me by the USCF.

The official response I got was "you should not use the title of FIDE
Delegate" from Bill Goichberg. I guess Bill can decide who is a FIDE
Delegate and who is not. I thought that decision was up to the FIDE
General Assembly, not Bill Goichberg.

Well, I would love to see somebody else show up in Italy and say they
represent St Kitts and Nevis. We need help. We need money, etc.... In
the rest of the world, the United States might learn a lesson that
people don't have the money to fight political chess wars. We are
lucky to even have a chess tournament!

I will probably vote against the United States (holding a proxy - 2
votes), because the United States does not want to work with me. What
Goichberg lacks the sense to understand is that our position must be
made by March 1, the deadline for our membership application to be
received in Athens, Greece. Instead of trying to work out a cooperating
position, the USCF Policy Board jumps in and starts trying to tell a
sovereign nation who is and who is not their FIDE Delegate! This is
rather insulting.

Wonder why the USCF keeps screaming sour grapes in FIDE? The Americans
won't work with their own LIFE members in FIDE. Why should we expect
the Americans to work with anyone else?

How can you trust a candidate for FIDE President who the Americans
openly support? I think that if the American backed candidate should
RENOUNCE the American endorsement. The Americans will destroy his
candidacy before it begins.

It is sad when USCF members take opposing (voting) sides in FIDE for
egotistical reasons.

Sincerely,

Marcus Roberts
FIDE Delegate

Old February 9th 06, 05:47 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Chess Freak

I wish I knew what the hell you are talking about. Are you or are you not
a FIDE Delegate if your country is not a FIDE member? You say you are
applying for FIDE membership and then you say you are a new FIDE
member? Confusing... I don't see a St. Kitts on the FIDE website as a
Federation Member. And what does being a USCF Life Member have to
do with anything???

What sort of 'help' or 'understanding' of USCF / FIDE inner workings
were you hoping to accomplish?

- CF

Old February 9th 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Ambassador

I should "officially" be a FIDE Delegate on or around April 1, 2006.
The Presidential Board provisionally admits new members, which gives
all rights save voting. Voting rights happen upon approval of the FIDE
General Assembly. However, I am a probably a proxy holder, so I can
vote the proxy at will.

So, I won't put up a FIDE website until after admission.

You are in a rare situation with country that gained full independence
in 1983 appliying for admission in 2006.

Marcus Roberts