Old February 13th 06, 10:31 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Default Publicity for chess... Ha!

I'll bet the chess politicos are envious of all the publicity that
the game of Sudoku is getting in newspapers and TV. The only publicity
chess gets these days are one report after another of kiddie herder
chess coaches fondling little chess kiddies. The USCF must be loaded
with these kind of creeps. A good percentage of chess players always
seemed to be creepy types anyway... even from a long time ago.

Old Haasie

Old February 13th 06, 01:12 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Chess One

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'll bet the chess politicos are envious of all the publicity that
the game of Sudoku is getting in newspapers and TV. The only publicity
chess gets these days are one report after another of kiddie herder
chess coaches fondling little chess kiddies. The USCF must be loaded
with these kind of creeps. A good percentage of chess players always
seemed to be creepy types anyway... even from a long time ago.

In an editorial last week I suggested a national chess program plus vetted
chess teachers. Better to have a 1200 player teaching chess than varieties
of 'creeps'.

As for chess on tv, one delgate wrote to say that he wouldn't even look at
the 8 gm match we put on last Summer, because it was 'skittles', and he
wouldn't tell his club members it was even on tv!

His opinion was somewhat different that Khalifman's, who immediately after
the match said on the phone that both Gulko games were interesting, and the
second one of the most fascinating he had ever seen.

Young Phil Innes

Old Haasie

Old February 13th 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Mike Nolan

" writes:

I'll bet the chess politicos are envious of all the publicity that
the game of Sudoku is getting in newspapers and TV.

Unlike chess, Sudoku takes no specialized knowledge to play.

Chess is the most brutal game I know. If you lose, you cannot blame
your body or your teammates, you can only blame your mind.

Most newspapers run a horoscope every day, too. Heck, many of them
are still running the Peanuts comic strip every day, though they're all
reruns.

Maybe what's needed is a 'Sudoku for chess'. :-)
--
Mike Nolan
Old February 13th 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Rob

MIke,

Maybe what's needed is a 'Sudoku for chess'. :-)
--
Mike Nolan

Actually I think there is such a thing. At least very similar at first
blush. That might be a useful companion to a chess publication.

Rob

Old February 14th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Mike Nolan

"Rob" writes:

MIke,

Maybe what's needed is a 'Sudoku for chess'. :-)
--
Mike Nolan

Actually I think there is such a thing. At least very similar at first
blush. That might be a useful companion to a chess publication.

I've not seen that, can you come up with an example?
--
Mike Nolan

Old February 14th 06, 12:40 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Rob

Mike Nolan wrote:
"Rob" writes:

MIke,

Maybe what's needed is a 'Sudoku for chess'. :-)
--
Mike Nolan

Actually I think there is such a thing. At least very similar at first
blush. That might be a useful companion to a chess publication.

I've not seen that, can you come up with an example?
--
Mike Nolan

Mike,
I have seen 3x3 block grida that have a picture of chess pieces along
with numbercal values. The instructions might be to either fill in the
approiate numerical value or fill in the approiate chess symbol.

Rob

Old February 14th 06, 02:02 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Tom Martinak

Actually I think there is such a thing. At least very similar at first
blush. That might be a useful companion to a chess publication.

I've not seen that, can you come up with an example?

The latest issue of "Asimov's Science Fiction" has 2 with a sf-theme:
http://www.asimovs.com/_issue_0603/editorial.shtml

- Tom Martinak

Old February 15th 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Ray Gordon

You can have Marinello and Shahade pose with each other for the cover
of chess life. They are two most famous dykes in chess. Their hooters
are nice and humongous. That would for sure attract more dykes to chess.

Old February 21st 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Louis Blair

_
Mike Nolan wrote (13 Feb 2006 18:23:56 GMT):

Unlike chess, Sudoku takes no specialized
knowledge to play.
_
Chess is the most brutal game I know. If you
lose, you cannot blame your body or your
teammates, you can only blame your mind.

_
In the February 2006 issue of Chess, it is stated
that:
_
"the Japanese Yoshiharu Habu ... is ... known
as the undisputed champion of Shogi and
consequently as a top celebrity in his home
country. In Japan, ... Shogi ... has millions
of fans, some ten thousand of whom regularly
take part in tournaments. The top 130 are
members of the professional Shogi association
and are all millionaires."