Old February 13th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Todd

Default Bobby Fischer

Does anyone know the story behind why Bobby Fischer's book "My 60 most
memorable games" is out of print. I checked Amazon and if you have a copy
you could probably get $60 for it. I assume this has to do with legal
problems or his antisemitic remarks but does anyone have the actual facts?

Old February 13th 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Taylor Kingston

Todd wrote:
Does anyone know the story behind why Bobby Fischer's book "My 60 most
memorable games" is out of print. I checked Amazon and if you have a copy
you could probably get $60 for it. I assume this has to do with legal
problems or his antisemitic remarks but does anyone have the actual facts?

If I remember correctly, Fischer did not want M60MG reprinted, but I
do not recall his reasons. It was reissued in 1995 by B.T. Batsford, in
an "updated" algebraic edition that was not well received, especially
by Fischer himself. For more on that, read:

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/fischer.html

Old February 13th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
The Masked Bishop

Bobby's whirlwind romance with Julie Newmar got in the way of
publishing negotiations...his resultant bitterness at being dumped by
Hollywood's most famous kittycat left him in a serious "who cares" mode
about the book.

There's been talk of a movie version, with Kevin Spacey "very
interested" in the role of Pal Benko. I suppose if this project gets
funds, we'll see the book release stateside.

TMB

Old February 14th 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Mike Murray

On 13 Feb 2006 10:44:10 -0800, "The Masked Bishop" wrote:

There's been talk of a movie version, with Kevin Spacey "very
interested" in the role of Pal Benko. I suppose if this project gets
funds, we'll see the book release stateside.

TMB

De Niro as Fischer? Naaa. Too Old. Who then?
Old February 14th 06, 01:45 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Mike Murray wrote:
On 13 Feb 2006 10:44:10 -0800, "The Masked Bishop" wrote:

There's been talk of a movie version, with Kevin Spacey "very
interested" in the role of Pal Benko. I suppose if this project gets
funds, we'll see the book release stateside.

TMB

De Niro as Fischer? Naaa. Too Old. Who then?

James Woods would have made a great Fischer. Now, he also may be too
old.

- Mike Petersen