Old February 15th 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Default About the $49 dues....

When should we expect to see the USCF dues drop from $49 to a much
lower figure? Bill Goichberg himself said not all that long ago that
$49 is too high even though he once championed the increase to $49 from
a time before.
$49 has killed organized adult chess in many places throughout the
country. Down my way only se/Florida and Orlando seem capabable of
pulling off adult tournaments. The next so-called active area is 500
miles north in Atlanta.

Old Haasie

Old February 15th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

I'm hoping that one of the online services offers to host
over-the-board ratings. After all, they already have the rating
software in place, right? Just charge 50 cents for every set of
results reported to them, they put it into their database, and voila.
Allow anyone to look up their ratings, and the exposure may generate
new membership leads for their online business.

Imagine, no more need for USCF ratings. Would anyone remain a member
at $49 for the magazine alone?

In fact, I have to wonder if some organizer has already approached ICC
or someone else to explore this possibility.

Old February 15th 06, 10:00 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Ray Gordon

When should we expect to see the USCF dues drop from $49 to a much
lower figure? Bill Goichberg himself said not all that long ago that
$49 is too high even though he once championed the increase to $49 from
a time before.
$49 has killed organized adult chess in many places throughout the
country. Down my way only se/Florida and Orlando seem capabable of
pulling off adult tournaments. The next so-called active area is 500
miles north in Atlanta.

If there were more players, there would be more activity.

If they come, they will build it.

Old February 16th 06, 08:04 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Greg Wren

What we need is an adult tournament membership similar to the junior one.

Old February 16th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Ray Gordon

I'm hoping that one of the online services offers to host
over-the-board ratings. After all, they already have the rating
software in place, right? Just charge 50 cents for every set of
results reported to them, they put it into their database, and voila.
Allow anyone to look up their ratings, and the exposure may generate
new membership leads for their online business.

I find online ratings to be more accurate, almost too accurate. It gets
annoying being 1500 one day, 1900 the next, especially when I don't feel
like I'm playing any differently!

OTB tournaments should move to a condition/class-based system similar to
that used in horse racing: maidens, NW1 (nonwinners of one other than
maiden, etc.), NW2. For a "win" to count, the prize would have to be say
$1,000 or more.

The way it is now, a 2300 rated player having a good day could win a major
swiss. That even happened once with Trefler, who won the world open while
rated expert.

Old February 16th 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Chess Freak

I just renewed my membership, it was $47 - not $49.

Old February 16th 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Chess Freak

There are a few problems with that idea, the main on being that it is
very easy to abuse the online rating system. Also, ICC uses a vastly
inferior rating system than does FICS. ICC's rating system has created
3000+ rated players. Those ratings hardly compare to USCF ratings.

Old February 16th 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Chess One

"Chess Freak" wrote in message
There are a few problems with that idea, the main on being that it is
very easy to abuse the online rating system. Also, ICC uses a vastly
inferior rating system than does FICS. ICC's rating system has created
3000+ rated players. Those ratings hardly compare to USCF ratings.

no on-line ratings can be compared to USCF ratings: the good thing with USCF
ratings is that they are honestly earned, no cheating with books or
computers is in question, and these other ratings need be understood in the
same way that correspondance ratings are

phil

oups.com...

Old February 16th 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

Rather than blending events online and over-the-board into a single
rating, I was thinking of having a rating just for over the board that
is held and serviced by one of the online sites. And despite your
good post, I think a second-best blended system with an inferior
formula would *still* be better than what we have now. Which is: a US
chess federation with no real presence in the booming online chess
world (for practical purposes, I know of USChessLive), and several
successful online chess sites that could technically offer ratings
services to over-the-board event organizers but do not.

Old February 17th 06, 07:19 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Ange1o DePa1ma

wrote in message
ups.com...
When should we expect to see the USCF dues drop from $49 to a much
lower figure?

When the sun turns to a cold, hard cinder.