Old February 22nd 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Ange1o DePa1ma

Default The REAL problem with the $75,000 story

The real problem with this story is that anyone should pay anybody $75,000
(or whatever figure) to produce web-based materials for the pathetic USCF
website.

As I have argued many times here, what such a position requires is good
editing skills with an eye towards instructional content. We're already
paying for everything the so-called "content" -- last time I looked we had a
monthly magazine.

I write 50 trade magazine articles per year, and most of them wind up on my
publishers' websites. I receive nothing extra for this except a free lunch a
couple of times a year. If Andy Soltis demands extra $$ for putting his
column online, screw him. There is so much good, quality, accessible chess
"content" (boy, how I hate that word) out there. I could put a decent weekly
magazine together for less than $1000 per issue for editorial expenses. FAR
less.

Not to mention the fact that a struggling, "content-rich" organization
should have tried to repackage its existing material for the web instead of
hiring someone for $75,000, $50,000, or whatever. I have offered to do this
for the Federation myself. In fact for several issues of the newsletter, I
edited one of Alex Baburin's annotated games for the CL audience.

I will never be confused with a titled player. However, I'm a decent editor
who recognizes, as he reads through annotations, which ones are useful to
the average patzer and which are not. And I can also use a chess engine for
blunder checks as well as anyone. That is all the "web content" editor needs
to be, or do.

I have no doubt, whatever our lovely, intelligent, masterful Jennifer is
being paid, it is too much under USCF's current financial circumstances.
That is a polite way of saying that if there is a way to **** something up,
you can count on USCF to find it.

Old February 22nd 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Andrew Zito

Angelo is right on. Many could have done a better job for less. Why not
post this position to seek the best candidate? This is the action of
Schultz. This is purely a political payoff. Shame on Schultz!

Old February 22nd 06, 03:06 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
irvin

"Ange1o DePa1ma" wrote

There is so much good, quality, accessible chess
"content" (boy, how I hate that word) out there. I could put a decent
weekly magazine together for less than $1000 per issue for editorial
expenses. FAR less.

I have repeatedly stated the exact same thing.

--
Irvin
-------------------------

Old February 22nd 06, 03:31 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Andrew Zito

Only Schultz and Channing feel that they need to waste over $100K for
Shahade and Hoffman. This stinks big time. They should all resign at
once.

Old February 22nd 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Mike Nolan

"Ange1o DePa1ma" writes:

The real problem with this story is that anyone should pay anybody $75,000
(or whatever figure) to produce web-based materials for the pathetic USCF
website.

What would you consider a reasonable salary for the position of web
content editor?
--
Mike Nolan

Old February 22nd 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Mike Nolan

"irvin" writes:

"Ange1o DePa1ma" wrote

There is so much good, quality, accessible chess
"content" (boy, how I hate that word) out there. I could put a decent
weekly magazine together for less than $1000 per issue for editorial
expenses. FAR less.

So, that job is worth $52,000/year?
--
Mike Nolan
Old February 22nd 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Ray Gordon

The real problem with this story is that anyone should pay anybody $75,000
(or whatever figure) to produce web-based materials for the pathetic USCF
website.

What would you consider a reasonable salary for the position of web
content editor?

I would have done the job for $25k a year, and used the money to fund my
full-time chess training, which of course would have improved my ability to
provide content for the website.

I have experience in web publishing, and my sites even turn a profit. I
believe I could make the USCF site more profitable, but alas, the job was
only open to a young female, since she is the only one to whom it was
offered.

Suffice it to say I don't consider the hiring process to have been exactly
fair.

Old February 22nd 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
irvin

"Mike Nolan" wrote in message
"Ange1o DePa1ma" writes:

What would you consider a reasonable salary for the position of web
content editor?

It's very difficult to answer that question, because the USCF has never made
it clear in what capacity Mrs. Shahade was hired. Nobody knows what "web
content editor" means to the USCF. (By the way, how is it a different job
from CL Editor? - Shouldn't the CL editor be responsible for re-purpusing
content for the web? - Do their positions overlap?)

In fact, one prominent board member told me he wasn't even sure if she had
been hired (that was approximately 3 weeks ago). He also told me he didn't
really know what she was hired for. Presumably, it had to do with her
"connections in the chess world" (those were his exact words).

Now, don't get me wrong: I'm NOT in FAVOR or AGAINST Mrs. Shahade. She may
or may deserve the job. The USCF may had gotten lucky with her; the USCF may
just be making one more shady deal. That's why the questions abound and need
answers.

So far, all we see is very defensive and vague answers to very legitimate
questions.

--
Irvin
-------------------------

Old February 22nd 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Mike Murray

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 16:48:07 GMT, "Ray Gordon"
wrote:

The real problem with this story is that anyone should pay anybody $75,000
(or whatever figure) to produce web-based materials for the pathetic USCF
website.

What would you consider a reasonable salary for the position of web
content editor?

I would have done the job for $25k a year, and used the money to fund my
full-time chess training, which of course would have improved my ability to
provide content for the website.

I have experience in web publishing, and my sites even turn a profit. I
believe I could make the USCF site more profitable, but alas, the job was
only open to a young female, since she is the only one to whom it was
offered.

Suffice it to say I don't consider the hiring process to have been exactly
fair.

I'm imagining a fair and balanced interview.

How do you think the membership would react to your appointment to
such a position, given your history of posts (e.g., vulgar personal
comments directed especially at strong women players), as evidenced in
these and other net forums?

Do you believe your experience providing content on your web sites
would be considered appropriate background for a key employee in an
organization whose membership includes children and supports
scholastic activities?

Do you believe your presence on the masthead would positively or
negatively impact fundraising?
Old February 22nd 06, 05:21 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Ray Gordon

[...]

You are speaking for USCF in an employment-related matter.

Do you believe your experience providing content on your web sites
would be considered appropriate background for a key employee in an
organization whose membership includes children and supports
scholastic activities?

You have just opened up a HUGE can of worms.

Do you believe your presence on the masthead would positively or
negatively impact fundraising?

I hope your bosses have endorsed your post. This is about to get very
protracted.