Old March 5th 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess

Default My Wikipedia biography of Julian Simpole

Julian Simpole
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Julian Simpole is a chess player, chess trainer, chess teacher, chess
author and a publisher of chess books.

Julian Simpole, Chairman, and Lord Hardinge of Penshurst together
formed Hardinge Simpole Publishers, which has quickly become one of
the leading publishers and distributors of chess books in the world.

Julian Simpole, Life Vice-President of the Commonwealth Chess
Association, has devoted much of his life to organising chess events.
These include seven Brighton Internationals, four Watson Farley
Williams GM tournaments in London and a GM tournament in Preston.
There, Britain's number one Michael Adams scored a crucial norm in his
quest to become the UK's youngest grandmaster at that time.

Julian Simpole is former Editor and Artistic Director of Synapsia
magazine. Julian, an art prodigy from pre-teenage years when he
attracted vast crowds with public demonstrations of his drawing
prowess, has had one man shows in Brighton and London. Having majored
in Book Design, he went on to become a Guest Lecturer at the Brighton
College of Art. His work in particular explores the themes of fantasy
and the grotesque.

Unusually for an artist, Marcel Duchamp being the chief exception,
Julian has attained Master strength in chess and can play in excess of
20 games at one and the same time with success against club class
opposition. His publications include JUNIOR CHESS TRAINING and TRUE
DREAMS. Increasingly sought after as a book illustrator, Julian's art
is highly prized by connoisseurs and gaining incrementally in value in
the international art marketplace.

Hardinge Simpole have made a special effort to ensure that the
American greats are kept available including games collections in
fresh printings by Pillsbury, Fine, Marshall, Reshevsky-2 vols as well
as the tournament books of Piatigorsky 1963, Piatigorsky 1966, many
books by Evans and Watson - widely regarded as the most universally
respected American writers, and a book by Parr and Denker. Not to
mention books by Dr. Eric Schiller. Hardinge Simpole also publishes
around 100 further books including hard to come by titles such as
modern chess theory with articles by Timman, Euwe, Mednis and
Kasparov, as well as books by Larsen, Reti, Nimzowitsch, Capablanca,
Alekhine and new books such as Janowski's Best Games it seems an
amazing coincidence that the USCF and its outlet consider none of
these books worth stocking.

It is a little known fact that Julian Simpole used to be a master at
the school in Brighton Sussex UK where Edward G. Winter studied and
used regularly to thrash him at chess.
[edit]

Books

Junior Chess Training : Improve Your Chess ISBN 1843820900

Brighton: The International Chess Tournaments ISBN 1843821419
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Simpole"

Categories: Living people | British chess players | Chess players
Old March 5th 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess
Ambassador

Prove you charge of bribery, in your other post trying to ban me from
Chess and run for the Executive Board of the US Chess Federation at the
same time.

Marcus Roberts

Old March 6th 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess
Peter Porker

Many months ago, when Sam Sloan announced his first Wiki-Biography, I
pointed out that Wikipedia is pure sewage. Any encyclopedia which is created
by volunteers and voted on as to specific content is trash.

Now it is around a year later, and Sam Sloan has proven my point by posting
numerous slanderous articles about a number of people, and then each one has
become the source of endless editing and wasting of time and deletions.

Wikipedia is utter crap. The only way to keep any specific topic accurate is
by constantly checking on it to complain about and delete newly added errors
or edits. Life is to short for anyone with any self-respect to waste on
Wikipedia. I encourage you all to cease following Sloan around and wasting
your time.

Old March 6th 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess
Peter Porker

"Chess Freak" chessfreek Not true that it is entirely crap. There is a
lot of great info there.

But if you Chess fans stopped checking Wikipedia, after a month or two it
would be full of slanderous articles by Sam. Then you would have to start
all over again deleting and editing.

That is the main problem with Wikipedia. It is never going to get to the
point where one topic is perfect and thus closed to editing. It is like Mob
Justice.

Old March 7th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess
Ralf Callenberg

Peter Porker wrote:

That is the main problem with Wikipedia. It is never going to get to the
point where one topic is perfect and thus closed to editing.

This is not the main problem, but the definition of it. By they way: the
Britannica isn't perfect and closed for editing as well, it just works
on a different time scale.

It is like Mob Justice.

Nothing but a defamatory comparison. You are aware, that most of our
society is based on similar foundations? That compromises and the
constant search for solutions, involving non experts and lay men without
ever reaching perfection? Or is it all just "Mob Justice"?

As a side remark: you might have a look at the book "The Wisdom of
Crowds" by James Surowiecki.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385721706/

It is really an interesting read. Even if one does not agree 100%, it
makes one think about "mobs" and their decisions, or the blind trust in
single experts.

Greetings,
Ralf
Old March 7th 06, 11:45 AM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess
Chess One

"Ralf Callenberg" wrote in message

It is really an interesting read. Even if one does not agree 100%, it
makes one think about "mobs" and their decisions, or the blind trust in
single experts.

Greetings,
Ralf

All good points. History is also like looking at the past in the rear-view
mirror of a car, it changes as you go forward, since there is ever a renewed
sense of one's own times as a filter or frame to assess what went before.

I think the Wikipedia articles could be collated or constructed by a small
group of people, allowing each a line or two of their own point of view, or
emphasis. The all-or-nothing approach seems flawed in several senses. Real
encyclopedists act in an editorial group to make material that is relatively
consistent with itself, and some guidelines for individual variances. I
think that is the missing element here.

Phil Innes

Old March 7th 06, 01:28 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess
Chess One

"Ralf Callenberg" wrote in message
oups.com...
Chess One schrieb:

I think the Wikipedia articles could be collated or constructed by a
small
group of people, allowing each a line or two of their own point of view,
or
emphasis. The all-or-nothing approach seems flawed in several senses.

I don't understand - what do you mean with "all-or-nothing approach"?

I suggest that sections can be modified, changed, rather than deleted.

Real
encyclopedists act in an editorial group to make material that is
relatively
consistent with itself, and some guidelines for individual variances. I
think that is the missing element here.

Yes, by its very nature. The working hypothesis is, that something
meaningful will come out although there is no guiding editor. You can
not change this without changing the nature of Wikipedia.

But it would provide a better basis for resisting destructive changing if a
group of obviously different people contributed to any article.

A more
traditional approach has been used before in a forerunner, but it was a
failure, mostly because it didn't attract enough people.

Maybe it would help Wikipedia to evolve if a small group of disparate people
could /be seen/ to have approved an entry?

Wikipedia has a uneven quality. Some articles are really good, even
better than in a traditional encyclopedia, some articles are indeed
very poor. With the latter you can very often see on the discussion
page or indicated by a marker, that something might not be all right
with this article. As traditional lexicons try to keep the impression
of perfection you don't get such hints there. And also in those sources
you may find incorrect facts or poor writing.

Sure, it is a work-in-progress, and the rules themselves will evolve with
the content.

Cordially, Phil

Greetings,
Ralf