Old April 18th 06, 06:16 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default Five Candidates Run for USCF Executive Board

Five Candidates Run for USCF Executive Board

The deadline has now passed and there are five certified candidates
for the two open slots on the USCF Executive Board. They a Mike
Goodall, Randy Hough, Grant Perks, Ernie Schlich, and Sam Sloan.

I am happy with this lineup, and not for the reasons you imagine. I am
happy because all of the candidates are very long-time chess
personalities, who have been around forever. All of them are devoted
to the betterment of chess. None of them would want anything bad to
happen to the USCF. None of them are members of slates or are fronts
of unnamed persons with hidden agendas.

For the past 30 years in almost every election there has been a
Goichberg Slate opposed by a Dubeck Slate. This has made it almost
impossible for third party candidates to be successful. However, this
year, Goichberg and Dubeck have apparently decided to sit it out. I do
not think that any of the candidates are in the pocket of or beholden
to either of them, or anybody else for that matter.

One thing that is unusual is that of the five candidates, three are
former employees of the USCF. Randy Hough, Grant Perks and Ernie
Schlich are all former employees. Ernie Schlich still works for the
USCF but on a volunteer basis only. Previously, he was Technical
Director. Grant Perks is a former Executive Director and also a former
CFO. Randy Hough was in charge of the USCF Rating System back in the
mid-1980s.

I have absolutely no objection to this. Former employees know the
federation better than almost anybody else and have much to
contribute. Moreover, none of them were fired or unceremoniously
thrown out or left under a cloud, as far as I am aware.

Frankly, if I had known how strong the field was going to be, I
probably would not have run. I just looked up Randy Hough, Grant Perks
and Ernie Schlich and I found that each of them have played in or
directed more than six hundred tournaments in the last ten years, an
amazing record.

I do not think I have much of a chance. I do hope that the big power
brokers stay out of the race this time. I hope that they let the best
man win for a change.

Old April 18th 06, 09:45 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

A WINNING PLANK

I'll wager that the candidate who pledges to try and restore
Larry Evans On Chess to Chess Life will get the most votes.

Old April 18th 06, 10:28 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
jr

I doubt that Evans would have anything more to do with
those dullards on the boad who just wasted $50,000 on
a no-bid resdesign of Chess Life and its website,
but I could easily round ujp hundreds of votes for such
a candidate in my area alone.

That's no joke.

Old April 18th 06, 12:46 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
[email protected]

A WINNING PLANK (continued)

For the record, my understanding is that three of the
candidates the Federation by being fired or forced out.

As always, Sam Sloan is my main man, followed
probably by Mike Goodall, though the ideal member
is Grant Perks who will then be able to grant perks.

Given the history of this board and the one before it, the
Perks should get elected based on his name alone. Randy
Hough might make a better Board member, but could he
ever grant perks with a clear conscience? Too huffy.

In the case of Randy Hough, he was forced out
by Harry Sabine. He became my assistant editor at
Chess Life and was then given a zero percent raise one
year. Randy knows that I went to bat for him at the
time even though he was initially being groomed as my
successor. Whereupon, he got the hint and resigned.

Grant Perks had to go, too. Ernie Schlich -- I
am not so sure about, though someone said he got a
semi-boot a la Randy Hough.

The single thing I remember about Randy's time
at Chess Life was our playing through 200 or so games
from the Open section at the World Open for a two-page
spread of the best in Swiss system chess, which is
seldom done. We found a fascinating ending in which
Shipman lost, if memory serves, to Hjartarsson.

Old April 18th 06, 12:59 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
jr

*Bull****. I doubt there are any other Malaysians who would vote
in a USCF election. * (g4)

I don't live in Malaysia.

The pack of jackals who post here underestimate the power
of the silent majority. I would agree that the candidate
who adopts the plank suggested by Parr would win one of
the two seats on the boards.

Old April 18th 06, 01:39 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
Melton

Default Gay Candidates Run for USCF Executive Board

"Sam Sloan" there are five certified candidates for the two open slots on
the USCF Executive Board. They a Mike Goodall, Randy Hough, Grant Perks,
Ernie Schlich, and Sam Sloan.

I heard that this year there was a Gay slate and a Mail-Order Bride slate.
Who is on which? Goatbitch is backing the Gays, and Dupeck is backing the
Thai Mail-Order Bride slate.

Old April 18th 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
[email protected]

I would agree that the candidate
who adopts the plank suggested by Parr would win one of
the two seats on the boards.

Wow! You agree with Parr? What news!