Old May 1st 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
jr

Default Why I'm voting for Sam

For decades the USCF has fostered a culture of secrecy.

I am voting for Sam Sloan despite his faults because he has
the instincts of an investigative journalist and can't keep secrets.

With him on the board, at least we won't be kept in the dark.
And when he's wrong about something, the other board members
will be forced to tell us why he's wrong.

Either way, we win.

Old May 1st 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
Randy Bauer

jr wrote:
For decades the USCF has fostered a culture of secrecy.

I am voting for Sam Sloan despite his faults because he has
the instincts of an investigative journalist and can't keep secrets.

With him on the board, at least we won't be kept in the dark.
And when he's wrong about something, the other board members
will be forced to tell us why he's wrong.

Either way, we win.

The USCF doesn't "win" by electing ex-felons who have had their
securities license revoked because of their "conduct." The guy
couldn't even keep his cab license. Even the Libertarian Party is
smart enough to keep him off the ballot. There is nothing to be gained
by putting a flake of this magnitude in a position of responsibility.

Randy Bauer

Old May 1st 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
Chess Freak

I agree with Randy.

- CF

Old May 1st 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

Yep, Randy is right again.

But then again, who wouldn't want an admitted sex addict, wacko on
their national executive board?

Ron Suarez

Old May 2nd 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
Chess Freak

True. Imagine the Dream Team of Sam Sloan and Marcus Roberts
on the USCF Board!

oups.com...

Old May 2nd 06, 03:01 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
Chess Freak

Who are these idiots coming out of the woodwork in support of
SS?

"John J." wrote in message
That may be true about the felonies. However, after seeing the number of
questionable decisions made by the board in the past few years and the way
they were made makes me think that electing Sam Sloan isn't such a bad
idea after all.

Old May 2nd 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
John J.

Just someone who has the necessary vocabulary and intelligence to debate the
issues without resorting to name calling. That's who.

t...

Old May 2nd 06, 05:10 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
Randy Bauer

John J. wrote:
That may be true about the felonies. However, after seeing the number of
questionable decisions made by the board in the past few years and the way
they were made makes me think that electing Sam Sloan isn't such a bad idea
after all.

I also recall that once upon a time, it was thought that bloodletting
was good medicine.

I know many competent CEOs and CFOs. I seriously doubt that any of
them would find the prospect of a Sam Sloan serving on the Board of
Directors as anything but a bad idea.

Randy Bauer

Old May 2nd 06, 06:10 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

SAM SLOAN'S "FELONY"

No surprise at the usual litany chanted against
Sam Sloan, this time by Randy Bauer who managed
to exclude one of Sam's statements from Chess Life
during the last election.
..
Mr. Sloan, we are told, is an ex-felon (he was
involved in a family matter, taking his daughter
against court order). Mr. Sloan is a felon in the
same sense that someone arrested by the Soviet regime
is a felon arrested for, say, violating his residency
restrictions and seeking proximity to former family
members. Sam's "felony" would not have been a matter
for the courts or government a couple of generations back.

As for Sam failing to keep a cab license in New
York City of all places, that can be registered on his
side of the ledger. For a bureaucrat such as Mr.
Bauer, it is Sam who is to blame.

One should note that in spite of Mr. Bauer's
attempt at smear-by-proximity, Sam's "felony" had
nothing to do with securities (he won his court case
there). It had to do, as noted above, with taking his
own child against a court order.

Sam would be tonic on the USCF Executive Board,
which exudes secrecy, if such be possible. We need
transparency, and although the other Board members
would do their best to cut Sam out of deliberations, he
would have the law on his side in most instances. We
would learn a lot more about what is currently going on
because, as jr pointed out, Sam can't keep secrets.

See BEHIND CLOSED DOORS at WCN where GM
Lev Alburt tells about his experiences on the board.

http://wcn.tentonhammer.com/modules....icle&sid= 628

Old May 2nd 06, 07:15 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

RANDY BAUER'S SMEAR CAMPAIGN

The USCF doesn't "win" by electing ex-felons who have had their
securities license revoked because of their "conduct." -- Randy Bauer

One should note that in spite of this smear, Sam's "felony"
was a domestic matter. It had nothing to do with the securities
charge when Sam owned a company dealing with stocks.

Sam, who is not a lawyer, argued his own case before the
Supreme Court AND WON. How many people have done that?

And so it goes.