Old May 5th 06, 01:27 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Chess One

Default Fide Election

Over the past 48 hours I have interviewed Mr. Bessel Kok in 20-Questions
format, and his Answers will appear at www.chessville.com this weekend [6,7
May 2006]. Last week the New Yorker magazine [24 Apr. 2006] featured 8 pages
on chess in an article titled "Planet Kirsan".

With the election result very much in doubt, key issues and prospects are
identified for what Nigel Short has declared to be a most critical election
for world chess.

Phil Innes

Old May 5th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Chess Freak

4 weeks ago, Marcus, Kirsan was your buddy you supported fully.
Isn't life a bitch when it hits you square in the eye?

Old May 5th 06, 06:28 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics
Chess One

"Chess Freak" wrote in message
4 weeks ago, Marcus, Kirsan was your buddy you supported fully.
Isn't life a bitch when it hits you square in the eye?

Its normal!

Its normal to change your opinion after having a deeper and considered look.
Otherwise you would be the sort of chess player who kept making the same
mistakes over and over because you only celebrated your wins, and never
examined your loses, and you would get gradually worse...

If this openly stated revanchement of attitude has at all to do with writing
here - this admission of change of mind is better than most of us manage.
Much better.

Phil Innes

Old May 6th 06, 06:30 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics

4 weeks ago, Marcus, Kirsan was your buddy you supported fully.
Isn't life a bitch when it hits you square in the eye?

Yes, I switched candidates, but I would make the same decision AGAIN.

1 The facts are that my neighbors and the Commonwealth Chess
Association indirectly lead me to support Kirsan. So much as been
admitted in private conversations between me and the Kok campaign.
Initially, I contacted the Commonwealth Chess Association. The CCA
dropped the ball, and lead me to Allen Herbert, FIDE Delegate of
Barbados. Herbert backs Kirsan, and effectively tried to cheat us out
of a huge amount (10,000 dollars) of money realted to a deal on the
Olympaid team.

2 I asked the USCF for help, instead of trying to help me hold the
world chess championship, the Americans cared more about me NOT being a
FIDE Delegate. Nobody had any idea that I wanted to help the world
chess championship.

3. I supported Kirsan. As a reward, I got a national account,
registration, visa help, and an offer to help me send a team to the
Olympiad.

4. I offered to fly to meet the FIDE Executive Board, and that WAS
REFUSED. The FIDE Presidential Board met in secret.

5. Now, FIDE has stolen my money (on the initial offer to house me as a
FIDE Delegate), and refuses to speak about the matter.

In terms of chess in the Caribbean, the decision to support Kirsan was
logical, and supported by my neighbors.

Because of the Kirsan backstab, it will set back the St Kitts and Nevis
national chess organization 2 years. Do you care about chess in the
Caribbean? I doubt it.

If you wanted to see St Kitts and Nevis play in the 2006 World Chess
Championship, you had to back Kirsan, given the CCA's and USCF
position, and the position of my neighbors. I am in the same position
as I had been had I initially backed Kok.

The facts are nobody wants to admit us in FIDE, and the IOC has agreed
to investigate. I am preparing to punish FIDE with the IOC, which will
hurt Kok just as bad if he wins. For that, I'll delay my IOC
complaint until after the FIDE election.

Bessel Kok doesn't deserve an IOC complaint if he wins, does he?

Marcus Roberts
President, Charleston Chess Association
St Kitts and Nevis