Old May 6th 06, 01:25 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
Chess One

Default 20 Questions with Bessel Kok on the FIDE Election

Now posted at

http://www.chessville.com/Editorials...stions/Kok.htm

Later this weekend chessville will also post an ad hoc interview with Don
Shultz on the reasons for this weekend's USCF retreat and about
'fundamental' changes.

Phil Innes

Old May 6th 06, 02:12 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

LACK OF SPONSORSHIP FOR FIDE

By GM Ray Keene

I fear that the chances of FIDE obtaining real commercial sponsorship
may have been dealt a serious blow by the piece in the New Yorker of
April 24 by Michael Specter. This will have been widely read, digested
and conclusions drawn in the world of sponsorship and high finance. The
game is rather given away by the title of the article: PLANET KIRSAN

In it the FIDE president basks in the glory of his encounters with
aliens in flying saucers. This may well undermine his corporate
credibility.

After describing his visit to an alien spaceship, where he donned a
yellow space suit, Kirsan continues: "tomorrow aliens will fly down
here -- they will just put us in their ships and take us away"

Or maybe his useful chapter on eliminating political adversaries taken
from his autobiography may somewhat deter potential sponsors. Published
in 1998, called Crown of Thorns, his book called includes a vital
chapter for political advancement: "It only takes two weeks to have a
man killed!"

I pray for a Bessel Kok victory in the election!

-- GM Ray Keene

Old May 6th 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

I doubt that Kok can pull it off. I have been talking to several FIDE
Delegates privately.

I'll give Bessel Kok a chance. I won't complain to the IOC about St
Kitts and Nevis until the election, but I am afraid we are in for a
scenario where the IOC really looks at this ant-Jew, anti-Black
attitude in FIDE, the corruption, and throws the MINDSPORTS out of the
Olympic village. I guess the good news is no more drug tests, but the
price is going to be VERY HIGH. The Carribean is anti-European. All
small states are generally anti-European.

Kirsan is a creation of the tension between big and small FIDE nations.
The smaller nations perfer a dictator.

I project Kirsan to win with 55% of the vote. I hope I am WRONG.

Do you think that the IOC will lose cooperate sponsorship over Kirsan?
Never.

Marcus Roberts
Presdient, St Kitts and Nevis Chess Federatrion

Old May 6th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

Well, GM Larry Evans is dead right.

As Larry Evans and other critics pointed out years ago,
small nations without a single grandmaster have the same
vote as large nations with many grandmasters

What the small states need is a FIDE Delegate to defend them when
people try to keep them from playing in the WORLD CHESS CHAMPIONSHIP.
Every FIDE nation must have a Delegate. I have no objection to a VETO
based on 2/3 of the FIDE budget. Therefore, you vote TWICE. Once by
numbers, and another vote by who pays Kirsan and his team to fly around
the world, first class.

If 2/3 of the nations disagree that pay the bill, then it is VETOED.

I have no problem with this.

Marcus Roberts

Old May 6th 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

I don't mean to sound arrogant, I just don't think that Kirsan has that
much money. If he had real money, he wouldn't need to use FIDE's money.

Think about it. If Bill Gates wanted to run FIDE, nobody would object.
Bill Gates would not improprly use FIDE funds.

In that sense, Kirsan is a want to be in the game of real high finance.

Marcus Roberts

Old May 7th 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc

KIRSAN CAN'T AFFORD TO LOSE

Think about it. If Bill Gates wanted to run FIDE, nobody would
object. Bill Gates would not improprly use FIDE funds. -- Marcus

Kirsan probably will win this FIDE election by bribing
enough delegates to vote for him. He can't afford to lose
because it would undermine his legitimacy in Kalmykia.
The long knives are out for him in his own country, and
nobody knows it better than this tyrant does..

"It only takes two weeks to have a man killed!" -- from
Kirsan's autobiography Crown of Thorns

Old May 7th 06, 01:01 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
Chess One

wrote in message
oups.com...
After reading a little about Chess City, I agree a loss in FIDE would
be a day of national rejoice in his home republic. It could foster a
revolution. He does, however, be good to keeping power.

I'll take him down by TERM LIMITS.

One of the questions, Marcus, related to any challenger to FIDE needing to
play by the existing rules - IOW, the only way to change the rules of
governance is to remove the incumbent - but having removed the incumbent
there would be less nedd to impose this rule.

Another aspect of the election is that some countries have 20 GMs while
others have 1 Expert, but they have the same vote. What do you think of this
one?

Phil Innes

Marcus Roberts
Permanent Delegate of Saint Christopher and Nevis to FIDE

Old May 7th 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
The Historian

Chess One wrote:
Now posted at

http://www.chessville.com/Editorials...stions/Kok.htm

Later this weekend chessville will also post an ad hoc interview with Don
Shultz on the reasons for this weekend's USCF retreat and about
'fundamental' changes.

Phil Innes

It's an interesting interview. Unfortunately, we don't know Kok's
Innes' "standards", as demonstrated in his Alekhine's Parrot column.

Old May 7th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
Chess One

"The Historian" wrote in message
oups.com...

Chess One wrote:
Now posted at

http://www.chessville.com/Editorials...stions/Kok.htm

Later this weekend chessville will also post an ad hoc interview with Don
Shultz on the reasons for this weekend's USCF retreat and about
'fundamental' changes.

Phil Innes

It's an interesting interview. Unfortunately, we don't know Kok's

I would aver that they are, since some dozen people were involved in various
aspects of the interview, including 2 of the world's leading chess
journalists, 6 GMs, no 8! and even the CJA!

Phil Innes

I suggest readers keep in mind
Innes' "standards", as demonstrated in his Alekhine's Parrot column.

Old May 7th 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc
The Historian

Chess One wrote:
"The Historian" wrote in message
oups.com...

It's an interesting interview. Unfortunately, we don't know Kok's

I would aver that they are, since some dozen people were involved in various
aspects of the interview, including 2 of the world's leading chess
journalists, 6 GMs, no 8! and even the CJA!

Phil Innes

It's the truthfulness of what you "aver" that's being questioned. What
was it that David Kane wrote about Larry Evans again? And when will
that correction be appearing in Alekhine's Parrot?